Possible Recall 2002-2007?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Porkchop

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Put a hitch on two Weeks after I bought it,the next week was rearended and took it in and a new one was put on it do to life time warranty. I knew when I bought it where the tank was.

dude1116

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You know what the best part of the whole thing will be?
Standing back watching some poor Tech cleaning all the rust out of the nuts in the frame to install a hitch. Feel sorry for some of them since there will be a ton of rust, nuts rusted completely out , then what will they do ?

Lucky for them, 4/6 bolt holes are tapped on mine! :p And yeah it was a pain in the ass to do it.

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mine came from the factory with bolts installed in those 6 holes already,no hitch or gas tank skid but had the 6 bolts.

That's interesting.....bolts and no hitch. Maybe the factory was putting them in to keep the threads clean or something??? I don't know if that makes sense?

Mine came from the factory with the OEM hitch so of course it was bolted in. Then I got the gas tank skid which came with the 6 new bolts. I used the new bolts to install the skid and hitch. The bolts I took out looked fine (jeep was fairly new at the time) and I gave them to a friend with an XJ and they fit and held his skid and hitch in place, so apparently the same bolts were used on the XJ. I found that interesting that the same bolts worked on the XJ.

Dave

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
I've been under some from the Northeastern part of Ohio that you couldn't even find the holes for rust, if they did have a hitch bolts were rusted in solid .
Mine didn't have any bolts, installed the first hitch with 100 miles on her, since then have installed the Kilby skid, then installed a KK hitch, then the RL bumper
so all of that means my holes are good :icon_smile::joke:

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've been under some from the Northeastern part of Ohio that you couldn't even find the holes for rust, if they did have a hitch bolts were rusted in solid .
Mine didn't have any bolts, installed the first hitch with 100 miles on her, since then have installed the Kilby skid, then installed a KK hitch, then the RL bumper
so all of that means my holes are good :icon_smile::joke:
:happy175:

We'll just take your word for that, Tom........:icon_mrgreen:

Dave

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's interesting.....bolts and no hitch. Maybe the factory was putting them in to keep the threads clean or something??? I don't know if that makes sense?

Mine came from the factory with the OEM hitch so of course it was bolted in. Then I got the gas tank skid which came with the 6 new bolts. I used the new bolts to install the skid and hitch. The bolts I took out looked fine (jeep was fairly new at the time) and I gave them to a friend with an XJ and they fit and held his skid and hitch in place, so apparently the same bolts were used on the XJ. I found that interesting that the same bolts worked on the XJ.

Dave
M12x1.75 bolts is a very common size.When I bought my hitch and gas tank skid both came with 6 new bolts also so I ended up with 12 extra.In fact they are most likely still in my bolt bin.Is it sad that I have a good sized tool box just dedicated to used nuts/bolts? Eitherway it comes in handy,I never throw a useable nut or bolt away,no wonder why that damn box weighs about 1500lbs.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Yep never get rid of any bolts. Between my friend Chris and I we have every bolt needed for the front and rear suspension, hitch area etc . several of them in fact :rotflmao:

hectikart

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anyone receive anything in the mail about this yet? I called the dealer in town asking if I would get a notification or if I could just bring my Jeep in, and they said I need to wait for the notice. Anyone know when they're supposed to be sent out?

CzarKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I haven't seen one yet and its not listed on the Jeep owners site yet as well. They are probably looking into other solutions first. :badger_1:

JasonJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anyone know how Chrysler knows who to contact, and who the current owner of an affected VIN is? Do they go by motor vehicle records with the state, or dealer records?

I'm the 2nd owner of a used '03 and it seems to me, Chrysler has no way to know that I own the truck...

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Don't worry they know you own the vehicle. They have current info. You'll get your "free" junk

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
Don't worry they know you own the vehicle. They have current info. You'll get your "free" junk

"free junk"........I want my "free junk".....Oh wait. I'm getting no "free junk". I already have an OEM hitch.......damn.............

Notices should be out this month according to the link posted above by profdlp.....thanks profdlp.

Dave

JeepCoMJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Get over it guys. they're doing it, and your opinions about other people being excited by the prospect of getting a decent hitch for nothing are obviously going unnoticed by the folks at Fiat...er...I mean Daimler Chrysler.

ThunderbirdJunkie

Bronze Supporter
Reaction score
Get over it guys. they're doing it, and your opinions about other people being excited by the prospect of getting a decent hitch for nothing are obviously going unnoticed by the folks at Fiat...er...I mean Daimler Chrysler.

Read back in the thread...a Chrysler rep said the opposite. It's cool, though.

Sent from ThunderbirdJunkie's mind via satellites

JeepCoMJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Read back in the thread...a Chrysler rep said the opposite. It's cool, though.

Sent from ThunderbirdJunkie's mind via satellites

yes, because that chrysler rep has any say in what's happening. Neither he, you all, nor I are high enough up to dictate what they're going to do...so no matter which way it swings, our opinions aren't going to count for squat.

They have decided what they're going to do. It's probably not going to change.