Possible Recall 2002-2007?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't know how laws apply to you but over here if they change a part that belong to you they have to give it back. So if you have a aftermarket hitch and they change it they have to give your old one back.
No they don't.When you go in for warranty work you can not keep the old parts as the dealership must keep them for at least 90 day's.

teckman02

Full Access Member
Reaction score
this is an email that i got from the chrysler media group

Dear Nickolas,
Chrysler Group and NHTSA Resolve Recall Request
Chrysler Group LLC and the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) have resolved their differences with respect to NHTSA’s request to recall 1993-2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee and 2002-07 Jeep Liberty vehicles.

As a result of the agreement, Chrysler Group will conduct a voluntary campaign with respect to the vehicles in question that, in addition to a visual inspection of the vehicle will, if necessary, provide an upgrade to the rear structure of the vehicle to better manage crash forces in low-speed impacts.

Chrysler Group’s analysis of the data confirms that these vehicles are not defective and are among the safest in the peer group. Nonetheless, Chrysler Group recognizes that this matter has raised concerns for its customers and wants to take further steps, in coordination with NHTSA, to provide additional measures to supplement the safety of its vehicles.

Chrysler Group regards safety as a paramount concern and does not compromise on the safety of our customers and their families.

martin_metal_88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah law may be different from US and Canada and even Quebec but note that I pointed if the hitch is after market and belong to you.

Snail Farmer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm kinda curious about the criteria they're using to deem whether it's necessary or unnecessary to "upgrade" the rear structure.

Akedos

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Was planning on getting a hitch eventually, but not like this.

Still need a harness though, time to pick one I suppose.

Last edited:

al7fi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I already have a gas tank skid and a OEM hitch.

I should get a free exploding bumper sticker and fireproof underwear and helmet........oh, and a 6-pak of roasted twinkies.........:hidesbehindsofa:

Dave

Same with my 03 LE. Off Road Package and Towing package. Well worth it!

ThunderbirdJunkie

Bronze Supporter
Reaction score
Does anybody else remember just a few years ago when they tried to get the GM G body recalled for something similar?

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 4 Beta

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Sorry but I just don't understand so many people running out to get a free hitch.
I for one am not afraid of the Jeep and will be one who says keep your dang hitch since there is not a problem to begin with. If more people would say no then the government would see its a non issue. Instead they'll say look at everyone running to get it fixed, they've been scared to death to drive them until now !

Leeann

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got a hitch, don't need a free one.

And yup, you'd think there were hundreds of thousands of Liberties parked instead of on the road for fear of exploding.

Akedos

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry but I just don't understand so many people running out to get a free hitch.
I for one am not afraid of the Jeep and will be one who says keep your dang hitch since there is not a problem to begin with. If more people would say no then the government would see its a non issue. Instead they'll say look at everyone running to get it fixed, they've been scared to death to drive them until now !

Can you opt out of a safety recall? Or will they nag you about it? I've never actually not gone to get one done... figured I'd keep getting letters or postcards until I did it.

whkdad

Reaction score
Damn.... just installed the Mopar hitch on my '06 Liberty a month ago. Should I really hold my breath and hope to get reimbursed as I purchased it from a Jeep dealership?

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Can you opt out of a safety recall? Or will they nag you about it? I've never actually not gone to get one done... figured I'd keep getting letters or postcards until I did it.

Never did the lower ball joint thing back whenever it was, replaced my own and wasn't worth the hassle to get a refund from them. They never came after me or anything. :icon_rolleyes:Have the paperwork showing they were replaced ( Bill from autoparts store) so if anything ever happened.
Rear lower control arms I did but it never went to a shop, had an inside person give me two and installed them myself.

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
My only concern about skipping the recall would be if you go to trade the Jeep in and the dealer runs a check on it. I bought my 2007 Liberty just over a month ago and one thing the dealer mentioned was that all of their used vehicles were up to date in the recall department.

Having said that, I was planning to add a hitch (DIY) at some point in the next couple of months anyway. I'm handy with tools but am by no means an auto mechanic. It couldn't be that hard to take your hitch off, get the freebie installed, then go home and swap back. (This assumes that the one they put on there is not as good as the one you already have.)

Obviously, for me it makes sense to see what they install before I do anything. My only fear is that they put a cheap piece of junk on there and make me dither about whether it's worth the money to upgrade it later.

Members online