Possible Recall 2002-2007?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ChiefRudy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thinking free skid plates, and some bracing. The bigger thing is this includes Grand Cherokees going back to 93. Been a while since I've seen a anything that old get recalled.

I thinking of a new tank along with skids... but more of a new tank since mine likes to shoot gas back out. A new tank would make my day :)

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
You guys and trying to get free stuff on a 5-10 year old vehicle
I hope they don't do a thing
and hope we don't see this again:emotions133:
Been posted up at least 3 times in 4 days :winner_first_h4h:

teckman02

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You guys and trying to get free stuff on a 5-10 year old vehicle
I hope they don't do a thing
and hope we don't see this again:emotions133:
Been posted up at least 3 times in 4 days :winner_first_h4h:

also you keep forgetting that it has been posted a ton of times over the past year and a half too

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
I'd be curious to know how much of this is motivated by the "let's get those gas-guzzling SUVs off the road" mentality. I'm a new Jeep owner who just traded in my '96 Geo Tracker (26 mpg city, Cleveland potholes and all, even higher on the open road) and had a lot of people who wanted to take me to task for driving such a "non-eco-friendly" vehicle.

I guess for some of those people who can't stand to see someone else enjoying something of which they do not approve it's a "more than one way to skin a cat" sideways maneuver to make them less attractive.

Going by those figures, I'd have to get another million miles or so on mine before I started pushing the odds. At age 54 I'm pretty sure that something else will get me before a gas tank explosion has a chance to take me out. laugh.gif

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
I'd be curious to know how much of this is motivated by the "let's get those gas-guzzling SUVs off the road" mentality. I'm a new Jeep owner who just traded in my '96 Geo Tracker (26 mpg city, Cleveland potholes and all, even higher on the open road) and had a lot of people who wanted to take me to task for driving such a "non-eco-friendly" vehicle.

I guess for some of those people who can't stand to see someone else enjoying something of which they do not approve it's a "more than one way to skin a cat" sideways maneuver to make them less attractive.

Going by those figures, I'd have to get another million miles or so on mine before I started pushing the odds. At age 54 I'm pretty sure that something else will get me before a gas tank explosion has a chance to take me out. laugh.gif
Agree at 58 myself the odds of me dying from some health issue is a 1000 times better than blowing up in the KJ

CzarKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well at 24 and the way people drive around here... I will be investing in a hitch and fuel tank skid. I was going to anyways but it seems even more necessary now. Was one of the first things I noticed when I bought my KJ.

dude1116

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well at 24 and the way people drive around here... I will be investing in a hitch and fuel tank skid. I was going to anyways but it seems even more necessary now. Was one of the first things I noticed when I bought my KJ.

See I'm not sure that would even help the situation. More metal = more surface to make a spark...?

In either case if you're getting slammed by a truck going 65mph while you're at a stand still, you're still getting majorly hurt.

CzarKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
See I'm not sure that would even help the situation. More metal = more surface to make a spark...?

In either case if you're getting slammed by a truck going 65mph while you're at a stand still, you're still getting majorly hurt.

Very true! I am really not concerned about high energy impacts... nothing you can really do... I am more worried about a miata feeling the need to jam itself right into my gas tank in traffic haha

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Very true! I am really not concerned about high energy impacts... nothing you can really do... I am more worried about a miata feeling the need to jam itself right into my gas tank in traffic haha
Just die knowing the miata driver will burn up first before the fire has time to reach you:flamingdevil:

:happy175::happy175::happy175::happy175::happy175:

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
A Miata would never be felt if they hit you
The PT cruiser that hit me only knocked the dust off the spare tire, they had to drag it off the road to get room for traffic to pass, front completely crushed. Cop kept trying to find where they hit me :rotflmao:

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
My thoughts......there are many older vehicles (and older jeeps) on the road with rear mounted gas tanks. Generally speaking this means all vehicles are rolling fire hazards if they collide in such a way to cause a fire. I am not worried about it really. I do have a gas tank skid and a classIII hitch.......so short story...

A few years back I had a BroncoII that had a rear mounted gas tank. It had a gas tank skid and a classIII hitch. (Similar set up as my KJ) I got rear ended by an accord and he went under my bumper and hit the classIII hitch dead center and drove it through his radiator and went through the hood folding it up. When they pulled it out you could see the hitch imprint in the hood....(LOL)......It had to be towed away...(LOL). I had no damage to the hitch or skid or the gas tank and the Bronco didn't look like it was hit. I posted this on another forum so now I posted it here too. So actually I am not too worried about it.

Anyway, I just had a thought about a new sticker for my Jeep........"DANGER....if you rear-end this Jeep my gas tank will piss all over your POS and fire you up....so pay attention to your driving"...........:signs8:

Dave

mschneid

Reaction score

EXACTLY. I put a hitch on for three reasons: 1) to tow my trailer 2) as a recovery point 3) gas tank protection. I only noticed point 3 when I was installing the hitch but that's exactly what I thought while installing it. My 16 year old will be driving this Jeep and I want extra protection.

al7fi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Rear mounted gas tank

I still own (original owner) a 1964 1/2 Original Edition Ford Mustang. The rear mounted gas tank in it is actually the floor for the trunk.
Not a flippin word about them and even though the bumper looked nice that was about all it did.
Never a peep about a recall or warning.

My 03 Liberty has the factory offroad package (gas tank skid plate etc) and I am a hell of a lot safer in it than all those years in the Mustang!

"We be from the guvament and we be here to help you!" (not).

Humor me, I'm old!

ChiefRudy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I still own (original owner) a 1964 1/2 Original Edition Ford Mustang. The rear mounted gas tank in it is actually the floor for the trunk.
Not a flippin word about them and even though the bumper looked nice that was about all it did.
Never a peep about a recall or warning.

My 03 Liberty has the factory offroad package (gas tank skid plate etc) and I am a hell of a lot safer in it than all those years in the Mustang!

"We be from the guvament and we be here to help you!" (not).

Humor me, I'm old!

My wife used to own a Mercedes-Benz 300E. the car was from the late 80's early 90's. The gas tank was in the trunk too but it sat right behind the back rest of the Rear seats. If the vehicle rocked enough the gas could be heard moving in the tank like there was a pool in trunk.

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
All this has me wondering...

Did some Chrysler executive send the Tea Party a donation...? :emotions33:

usa.gif

Bob

Latest posts

Members online