Please Post Head Unit Pics!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Atrus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not sure if if they somehow fix it to where it has to be a JVC dongle, but that looks like like the one in the pics. It comes with it, so it's not like there's extra equipment to buy.

I agree, you'd think that they would just build it into the radio, but I suppose that would make sense, kinda like putting preset buttons on it ;)

Atrus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just ordered the A805. $220 and I get expedited shipping because it's a Crutchfield "signature" item.

I think I'll like it, but if it's terrible I can always return it. Nice to know that CF has great customer service.

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
yeah, but crutchfield is getting greedy, they used to provide lifetime support, now it is only down to like 90 days or so, after that you gotta pay (i think non-signature is like this) same with returns, etc..
But I think you will like it to since you did a lot of comparison, pleas keep us posted,
oh hey, now you will be able to control the sub from the H/U, you won't need that kill switch.

Are you planning on upgrading speakers too? (naughty)

Atrus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Signature is 60 days. JVC Arsenal has a 2 year warranty.

I think 60 days is sufficient....if I hate it, I'll know within a week or two. Crutchfield proabbly had to change their policy due to people abusing it - use the equipment for 6 months, and then return it.

Not sure on the speakers. We'll see how the stockers sound.

wheeee32

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nice choice on the JVC HU. I just ordered a new HU on Sunday. Here's the one I decided on:
You must be registered for see images attach

Atrus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nice -

Mine should be arriving today! Hopefully I can get it slapped into the KJ tonight and start playing.

BluPhant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images

iDA-X001.

ipod connecter (usb) in console.

beartard

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Pics...pics...pics

Do those Alpine media receivers sound as expensive as they cost? I looked and drooled at them when I was putting in my last headunit. I couldn't justify the cost...especially with how proud Alpine is of their add-on boxes for bluetooth, etc. I see why you have that old XM receiver, rather than an Xm direct unit.

ThunderbirdJunkie

Bronze Supporter
Reaction score
Man, now that ThunderbirdJunkie has the bug to upgrade his old HU

He is finding lots of expensive things, and NOTHING has preset buttons? WAT?

BluPhant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I actually am going to be converting to Sirius soon.... the XK has sirius built in, so it seems silly to have 2 diff providers. I've been researching tuners for this HU, one of my main criteria is it has to support Best of XM so that I can still get O&A. And, I think I may do lifetime at some point for the XK - it's like $399 or some mess -- seeing as I'm going to have the XK for at least 5 years.... seems logical almost. If I can come up with $399, which seems doubtful at the moment.

Anyway, the iDA-X001 wasnt teriffically expensive.. I think it was like $250 or something? I honestly dont remember. But it does sound great, and it is a must-have for anyone who is ipod happy. This one is three behind current production, and they've made some changes that make it more gooder.

-Blu

ThunderbirdJunkie

Bronze Supporter
Reaction score
The iPod compatibility of the Alpines is nice, but what ThunderbirdJunkie is reading, will not work with XM?

Also, am not going to do the hangy-offy doohickey on the dash/windshield...absoluteley REFUSE to do that (hence why it's integrated XM now..)

BluPhant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh it'll work with XM or Sirius. U just need the right tuner. I had that thinggy long before the alpine made it into my world.

beartard

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh it'll work with XM or Sirius. U just need the right tuner. I had that thinggy long before the alpine made it into my world.

That's my problem. The idea of having a snazzy headunit without a CD palyer sounds nice, but by the time I get that Alpine doing what my current one does with HD-radio, bluetooth, etc., it's turned into a $400-500 radio. Just browsing crutchfield, it seems like Alpine and Kenwood are two of the proudest companies when it comes to their add-ons.

Whenever a site says "click here for low price", that means "we're too ashamed to post the price up front. ;)

BluPhant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not always. Lotta times they have agreements not to advertise stuff below a certain price, particularly with higher end brands. Buddy of mine is diehard alpine (he's the one that turned me on to it) and ended up getting his mrs a kenwood, with bluetooth integration. Bout the same price, meebe a bit more.

Atrus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Loving the JVC thus far. Two issues....

Issue #1 - I can't get the dimmer to work. It did, and then after setting other features it stopped dimming. I've verified that the dimmer wire is hooked up because there's another feature to have the LCD go "negative" during the day and revert back at night. I tried that feature and it responds to the parking lights being on and off.

Issue #2 is that my amp is either not set properly (i.e., need to crank up the gain) or it's just being finicky again. It wouldn't work for a while when I first installed with the factory stereo, and then after playing with the LLC output levels, it started working. I wonder if it's crapping the bed - like it needs massive input to work. I have a feeling the "tweaking" I did on the LLC ended up raising the input voltage like mad. It was a $40 ebay Lanzar amp 2+ years ago, so I can always get another amp.

Need to route the bluetooth mic before I test it out. Will do that tonight.

Also confirmed that I have a blown speaker on the front right. I am thinking it's the tweeter as it crackles on the "highs" at mid-volume. I thought I heard it with the factory radio a while back, but it's apparent on some songs now.

I'll mess with it more tonight and post some pics. Streaming Pandora via bluetooth is great! I don't think I'll even be using the radio too much anymore.

beartard

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Loving the JVC thus far. Two issues....

Issue #1 - I can't get the dimmer to work. It did, and then after setting other features it stopped dimming. I've verified that the dimmer wire is hooked up because there's another feature to have the LCD go "negative" during the day and revert back at night. I tried that feature and it responds to the parking lights being on and off.

Make sure to check your dimmer settings. There is one called "auto" that does it by time of day. That might be it. The manual (if anyone reads those things) isn't the best.

I'll mess with it more tonight and post some pics. Streaming Pandora via bluetooth is great! I don't think I'll even be using the radio too much anymore.

Same here. Between pandora, last.fm, and slacker, as long as I have decent cellular coverage, I really have no need for radio. It's hard to find radio (terrestrial or satellite) that plays *my* music. But then, the whole ipod craze left me dry, too. Too much work to keep the music fresh. The streaming stations concept is perfect for me.