Please Post Head Unit Pics!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ThunderbirdJunkie

Bronze Supporter
Reaction score
Gah damn you turn down to position number one
and you, you bloody flapper door controller knob

go to floor
now!
On second thought make that floor and vent!

Temperature, to full heat
so angry
arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Atrus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So, I am thinking this one at $220:

You must be registered for see images attach

or this at $180:

I think I am leaning towards the top one because it's newer (and I am ASSuming has some improvements), has fully changeable color display, and has an external mic. I only am put off by the lack of preset buttons.

The second one has presets, however, the face isn't fully color customizable (only the LCD), it doesn't appear to come with an external mic, and it looks to be an older model.

My thought is that the bluetooth will most likely be better on the newer unit.

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
CD slot and front facing USB is a turn off. :(

Atrus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
CD slot and front facing USB is a turn off. :(

I'd prefer a CD slot vs the flipdown.

Front facing USB, I agree on. Not a deal breaker to me though.

Oh, and it also has a rear USB as well, so I can plug a flash drive back there and it'll be out of the way. :)

Last edited:

ThunderbirdJunkie

Bronze Supporter
Reaction score
Yeah, ThunderbirdJunkie's pioneer is getting worn out from flipping the heat unit down to swap CD's.

Sure it's slightly more aesthetically pleasing..but less functional.

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Swapping CDs? Welcome to 90's... Come on.

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score

ZERODSM

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For head units all I ever run are alpines....Mine has a tilting face...When I press a button the bottom will push out and make it lay down so to say...to change CD's

This isnt in the Jeep though...in the Eclipse...

Atrus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
agreed, TBJ - I have an MP3 player, but I still like to keep some CD's in the car to pop in just in case.

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
What is the head-count in your CD collection?
Each CD takes up about 100MB space. (10 songs, 10MB each) or let's 72MB (1mb per minute) at decent compression. You can get 16GB stick for $30. It will hold 160 CDs.

I am not bashing CDs or those who still listen to them. CDs are still good way to listen to somewhat higher quality music, and many people burned their mp3's on their CDs, so you can probably have about 7-10 albums on each CD. But what I am trying to say is, don't just skip on a H/U because it needs to be flipped before you can load a CD. I have had my non-motorized kenwood for over 3 years, and I have not had a single problem. I used to listen to my mp3s on my CDs. I agree that motorized faces are problem-prone, but as I said don't skip on a better H/U just because it has a flip down face plate.

ThunderbirdJunkie

Bronze Supporter
Reaction score
You're right.
Have had the Pioneer for about 4 years...and the one before that about 4 years...both had to be flipped down to change CD's.

And it would be great to be able to put 16gb of something into a head unit that has no provision for it.

Atrus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
don't skip on a better H/U just because it has a flip down face plate.

100% agree. I prefer a non-flipdown unit. It's not a deal breaker. Of the two I posted, the non-flipdown is a more recent model with (2) USB inputs and a remote mic. ;-) So, other than preset buttons, it wins in every category in my book.

beartard

Full Access Member
Reaction score
One other point to consider is that with those JVC units, the bluetooth isn't really built-in. It may say it has 2 USB ports (front and rear) but one of them has a USB bluetooth dongle in it. It's the same hardware you'd buy at a computer store if you were looking for a super-duper-micro-mini-leave-in-the-connector bluetooth dongle. You can choose either port, but one will be usable.

yes, TJ, I said the unit has a dongle.

BTW, don't necessarily assume that because a headunit is newer, it'll have different bluetooth performance. Bluetooth hardware is fairly standard. I don't think there are really that many OEMs for it. And radio manufacturers use the same bluetooth software stack in multiple units. It's not worth their time and money to be updating them constantly. When Joe-the-honda-civic-owner goes into best buy, he's a lot more interested in animated dolphins than the internals. The manufacturers know this.

Last edited:

Atrus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Beartard - I knew the A805 needed the dongle, but I didn't see anything on the other one that I posted. The A805 has two USB ports, so I figured the ****** could go in the faceplate (they are small, right?) and then I can use a memory stick on the wired rear connection so I don't have a memory stick justting out into the interior.

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can you use any USB dongle, if so, go with this:

I have been using it on my USB Hub to connect my BT stuff, it has been working great.
But it is still strange that they used a dongle/external usb bt instead of internal. Odd..