PCV Positive Crancase Ventilation -TSB

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
2002-2006 Jeep Liberty has a Technical service Bulletin, recommending changes to the PCV system, due to "freezing up (Below 0 or -18c)" problems so they call it..
This can happen without super cold temps, nice story though. :icon_lol:
In reality.. many have been experiencing condensation or in worst case scenarios, yellow gunk forming on the oil filler cap and inside the oil filler housing, due to cool weather, short trips.
54774[/ATTACH]"]
You must be registered for see images attach

Here is the TSB Updated Parts information etc...
54776[/ATTACH]"]

54778[/ATTACH]"]

54780[/ATTACH]"]

54782[/ATTACH]"]

54784[/ATTACH]"]

54786[/ATTACH]"]

Members have stories about the oil blow by problems, regarding the filler neck mounted PCV systems. Clogging PCV valves etc.
I believe that the intake manifold may very well be filthy, and may be effecting fuel injectors as well?
Does the TSB update really correct the problems?
Yes and here is "how to replace the old PCV system" Link: http://www.jeepkj.com/forum/f202/upgrade-your-pcv-system-tsb-25-001-08-a-59416/
(popcorn)

Other sludge reference link: http://www.jeepkj.com/forum/f196/2004-liberty-sludge-oil-fill-neck-57658/

Attachments

• tF8s3JB.jpg
    tF8s3JB.jpg
    345.4 KB · Views: 16
  • qiAO5mk.jpg
    qiAO5mk.jpg
    377.9 KB · Views: 10
  • 7kVwh87.jpg
    7kVwh87.jpg
    355.1 KB · Views: 11
  • 4JqCZsD.jpg
    4JqCZsD.jpg
    307.6 KB · Views: 17
  • JICk00y.jpg
    JICk00y.jpg
    338.4 KB · Views: 16
  • oR7ilzb.jpg
    oR7ilzb.jpg
    156.2 KB · Views: 16
  • uCZf1ZC.jpg
    uCZf1ZC.jpg
    231.5 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Be interesting to see
differences in driving habits
how long or short of trips
maintenance done and when
in various people who have and have not had an issue.
Like I've said many times my 04 never has had an issue with it
so far the 03 doesn't and the 05 is doing great
Been driving the 03 mainly and its a lot of short trips to take my son to work 3 miles away
ALSO wonder of it makes a difference if you keep the KJ in a garage or not
All of mine were/are kept in a garage year round

LetFreedomRing

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Interesting. I have an 03 that is parked outside year round and never had an issue. My work is only 5 miles away. Going to work it's all up hill. Coming home is pretty much coasting for 5 miles. :shrug:

CzarKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had this issue when I first bought it. Short cold trips. But since I changed the pcv and switched to synthetic I haven't seen it. Should I be considering this?

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Interesting. I have an 03 that is parked outside year round and never had an issue. My work is only 5 miles away. Going to work it's all up hill. Coming home is pretty much coasting for 5 miles. :shrug:

Well there goes one of my ideas of what possibly may cause it:shrug::icon_lol:

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
This is a good reason to keep your oil clean.
54788[/ATTACH]"]

PCV was dripping oil out, :icon_eek: and lines inside are covered all the way to the rear intake line, and going into the intake. :shakehead:
I just ordered the PCV Kit #68044350AA and Crankcase Vent Hose #53013885AA
Parts were back ordered, I still should have them in a week.
Let the Oil filler neck PCV be gone, & the system updated!:gr_grin:

Attachments

• aGiRPtI.jpg
    aGiRPtI.jpg
    302.7 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:

ltd02

Comfortably numb
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is a good reason to keep your oil clean.
54794[/ATTACH]"]

PCV was dripping oil out, :icon_eek: and lines inside are covered all the way to the rear intake line, and going into the intake. :shakehead:
I just ordered the PCV Kit #68044350AA and Crankcase Vent Hose #53013885AA
Parts were back ordered, I still should have them in a week.
Let the Oil filler neck PCV be gone, & the system updated!:gr_grin:

Now that I've done this, I'm pretty sure I won't see anything in my new fill tube but previously my entire PCV tube would fill with the foam. This was back when my daughter was driving it about 2 miles to and 2 miles from school (cold weather was much worse). I'd pull it off and stand it up to let it drain. Always synthetics but I use whatever was on sale. When I started using it again as my DD, longer trips (80 miles a day) the amount decreased drastically but never completely disappeared. Tolerable but I just had to do this conversion to see (or not). I pieced mine together so I didn't get the sticker. I'd like to see a pic of the sticker when you get your kit. I know it will be for the later models, but just curious. :party52:

Attachments

• Oil%20Drips%20from%20PCV.jpg
    Oil%20Drips%20from%20PCV.jpg
    540 KB · Views: 13

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
I bet your PCV was plugged often too. I also doubt you will see gunk again in filler tube, Thank goodness!
Sure can post labels if I get them....
The kit only comes with Authorized modification label only.
Of which on page 6 item # 9 mentions installing vacuum schematic label, which the parts guy overlooked.
Will call dealer in the AM and try to get that label too. Page 2 lists it as # 52014255AA for a 2004. :gr_grin:

Last edited:

ltd02

Comfortably numb
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
I bet your PCV was plugged often too. I also doubt you will see gunk again in filler tube, Thank goodness!
Sure can post labels if I get them....
The kit only comes with Authorized modification label only.
Of which on page 6 item # 9 mentions installing vacuum schematic label, which the parts guy overlooked.
Will call dealer in the AM and try to get that label too. Page 2 lists it as # 52014255AA for a 2004. :gr_grin:

I tried to see if I could get the sticker but looked to be a discontinued item and cost 8-12$ when it was available. :thumbsdown:

I was removing and cleaning or changing my PCV at least once a month when things were bad. :emotions34:

dude1116

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Last edited:

Birdman330

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Only happens in the EXTREME cold for me (JUST started happening now that the temps have been 20 degrees and below). I run the piss out of her, too.

Also...isn't this the way 2007 KJ's are set up?

http://www.jeepkj.com/forum/f196/case-missing-pcv-valve-57735/

http://www.jeepkj.com/forum/f202/how-replace-pcv-valve-some-2007-up-jeep-liberty-57837/

Early 07 KJ's have PCV Valves, mine does which I did get switched out. Took me about half an hour due to the fact I don't think it was ever done, the hose was on there so firm I had to use a flat head screw driver and very carefully pry the hose loose, after that it was less than five minutes and done.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Possibility factors range from oil, driving habit, climate of area the Jeep is in, to parts themselves.

Already talked about that on page 1, many with same areas of cold/ snow/ warm temps etc some have issues some do not. Most seem to be using same type of oils, some long distance some short distance routes daily
So no clear cut issues from what I have seen over the past 11 years in discussing this same thing

TheBlueKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Also depends on if using Mopar pcv valve or not. Just because the parts store says it will fit the application does not mean it will be the proper spec that the vehicle requires.

the_dealer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have an 03 and did the TSB fix. I couldn't get ahold of a new filler tube without the pcv so I left it in plugged the line with a bolt. I forgot all about it until I went to take some pics for OP, but just ordered a new one. Here's what mine looks like after a bunch of short trips then sitting all night. With this weird damp weather GA has had lately, I'm surprised it was this clean.
You must be registered for see images

Ghetto fabulous
You must be registered for see images

Sent from my G870a on 38's

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
A while back, I used Varsol to clean the baked on filmy oil, underside of cap.
It was pretty gross :signs16:

Latest posts

Members online