The Case of the Missing PCV Valve

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
My 2007 does not have the PCV Valve on the oil filler neck. Research leads me to believe that it is back on the driver's side of the engine behind the last spark plug. There is a lot of stuff in a cramped area back there and I am having trouble figuring out exactly which hose to pull to get at the thing. I also am coming up with conflicting part numbers.

Anyone here have any suggestions?

I ordered this one but it isn't right, it's for the oil filler neck style:

2007 Jeep Liberty PCV

On a whim I searched for the 2008 version, since my 2007 was a transition year and some things were already getting shifted to the new style.

Any idea if this one would work?

MOPAR PCV Valve - 53034065AA

I've also found others that are of the same style but have a different Mopar part number. Any help would be appreciated. :)

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
Here's what else is weird. I go to Avondale and they call it a "housing valve" and show it on the parts diagram as the PCV on the filler cap.

Avondale Wholesale Parts

It's the same Mopar part number as the second link in my first post. I'm going to take a shot at it. Thanks!

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Take some photo while you are replacing it..quite the different location over mine.
I wonder if this is an improved PCV set up...(less sludge design) LOL

uss2defiant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here's what else is weird. I go to Avondale and they call it a "housing valve" and show it on the parts diagram as the PCV on the filler cap.

Avondale Wholesale Parts

It's the same Mopar part number as the second link in my first post. I'm going to take a shot at it. Thanks!

Do you include your VIN number when you order?
I highly recommend you do and put a note with your order.
Josh found a discrepancy with my oil pressure sender order.
That way you wont get the wrong part.

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
Take some photo while you are replacing it..quite the different location over mine.
I wonder if this is an improved PCV set up...(less sludge design) LOL
I'll try and remember the pictures. As for the sludge, I was thinking the same thing after reading the other thread. :icon_lol:

Do you include your VIN number when you order?
I highly recommend you do and put a note with your order.
Josh found a discrepancy with my oil pressure sender order.
That way you wont get the wrong part.
Sure did. Trouble is, I did that last week and got the wrong one. "Officially", it seems like it's anything goes when it comes to the 2007. (Except when it doesn't.) :happy175:

uss2defiant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sure did. Trouble is, I did that last week and got the wrong one. "Officially", it seems like it's anything goes when it comes to the 2007. (Except when it doesn't.) :happy175:

Not cool!
Definitely call up Josh then.

Last edited:

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
I don't really blame them. Most documentation you can find from Jeep even lists it as the twist-lock elbow style.

Anyone need one of those?

ltd02

Comfortably numb
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hmmm... That's where my 02s Dside breather is threaded into the head. I'm wondering if I could just order an 07 oil filler tube and the 07 PCV valve and plumb in a PCV reroute. There was a reroute kit available but this seems easier.

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
You giving it away? :D

I paid $6.24 for it. It's yours free if you need one. PM me with an address if you can use it. This is the part I have:

Jeep Genuine Factory Part - Part Number: 53032800AA

I'd be happy to send it to someone who can really use it. For six bucks it's not worth pestering Avondale about. All I ask is that you drop $6 in the offering plate at church or something like that. :)

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
Hmmm... That's where my 02s Dside breather is threaded into the head. I'm wondering if I could just order an 07 oil filler tube and the 07 PCV valve and plumb in a PCV reroute. There was a reroute kit available but this seems easier.

I don't see why not, though I wouldn't take my say-so as the last word on the subject. :shrug:

uss2defiant

Full Access Member
Reaction score

why fix it, if it ain't broken.

ltd02

Comfortably numb
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
why fix it, if it ain't broken.

This was a possible way to avoid the PCV drawing from the cold filler tube and allowing condensation to form leading to sludge. Old fix (TSB) for the 4.7 was a reroute. Of course now it's practically summer and I've found good oil so no worries. :gr_grin:

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
Got the new (right) PCV valve today and went out for the five-minute job of swapping them out. Managed to get the clamp off without too much of a struggle but could not remove the daggone boot over the PCV valve. I pulled, pried, twisted, begged, pleaded, threatened, then gave up. I'm sure I could get it off somehow, but I'm not sure it would be in any shape to put back on once I got the new PCV valve in.

Anyone have any ideas?

(This is the PCV valve location back by the firewall, by the way, not the type on the oil filler neck.)

CzarKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got the new (right) PCV valve today and went out for the five-minute job of swapping them out. Managed to get the clamp off without too much of a struggle but could not remove the daggone boot over the PCV valve. I pulled, pried, twisted, begged, pleaded, threatened, then gave up. I'm sure I could get it off somehow, but I'm not sure it would be in any shape to put back on once I got the new PCV valve in.

Anyone have any ideas?

(This is the PCV valve location back by the firewall, by the way, not the type on the oil filler neck.)
Hair dryer or heat gun