PCV Positive Crancase Ventilation -TSB

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
so the wholekit + resonator cap is 38.70 before shipping and tax
but it's cheaper than buying each part in the kit separately which comes up to $92.91 before shipping and tx.

o.0

ltd02 and Tim: Can you verify that 68044350AA comes with all the parts mentioned in the TSB? I think this is cheap enough for me to go ahead with this change. Stinks that the new PCV is going to be more expensive in this set up. Thanks.

The TSB mentioned the fix for extreme cold weather but I'm all the way down here in Southern AZ. Definitely not extreme cold here. headscratch.gif
The kit does comes with everything you need, except for the resonator plug which is a separate, additional part required.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Ok onto today's examination about the NEW pcv system.
It was fairly cool out today and my engine was cooking hot, where electric fans were coming on.
With the hose disconnected going into the air box, hmmm, some steam or smoke :mexsmoke: happening here..
Click on image to see video:
You must be registered for see images attach
"]
[/URL]
Now there was only a spot on Mr Sponge Bob, so I don't think it's that bad...
55029[/ATTACH]"]

So let's remove Mr Sponge Bob from his hiding place and reconnect the hose to his home...
Click on Image to see video:
"]
[/URL]
Now you can see without him, it spreads though the whole air box & up into the main air filter, so make sure you have him in there to assist in filtering.
I will be monitoring how a new filter does after I put a new one in, and check back in a couple of months.
We may need to replace air filters more often and hope no smoke is entering into the throttle body as cleaning them may become more frequent then as well.
I will also remove the hose from air box in future to see if I can see any contaminants leaving the air box in the form of oily smoke etc.
The New filler tube is clean but once again a bit of smoke present when I remove top cap.
55033[/ATTACH]"]

No gunk or moisture of any kind on cap or baffle.
55035[/ATTACH]"]

Engine oil is pretty clean still that Penzoil Platinum full syn, and Mobil 1 filter is working good at 3K miles. Still may change it soon.
55037[/ATTACH]"]

Interesting to note that after seafoam intake, & a 500 mile hwy run,I have a bit higher vacuum reading now.
55039[/ATTACH]"]

More about vacuum testing:http://www.hemmings.com/magazine/hsx/2012/02/Testing-Engine-Vacuum/3709071.html
:Caffeine:

Attachments

• xN0ck90.jpg
    xN0ck90.jpg
    564.2 KB · Views: 0
  • ipRd6m1.jpg
    ipRd6m1.jpg
    318.3 KB · Views: 1
  • Xspekgb.jpg
    Xspekgb.jpg
    362.5 KB · Views: 1
  • X3N4WUz.jpg
    X3N4WUz.jpg
    339.7 KB · Views: 1
  • 5lNFSyi.jpg
    5lNFSyi.jpg
    344 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

teeje

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't see why these Chrysler engines have that issue with the milky film. I live in ohio where the temperatures are really cold and took a 4 hour trip yesterday with no issues. 4 hours back today and still nothing. Maybe it's my new engine? Idk. I'd like some insight on this because if having that new pcv system will be beneficial to me I'd like to have it.

2002 Jeep Liberty 3.7L with brand new engine ;)
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
You have all the right conditions not to produce gunk, long hwy trips a new engine, all good!
The problem of condensation and foam/gunk seems to be caused by short trips, not getting the engine really warmed up, and cold weather.

uss2defiant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yeah. my wife works from home and I cycle to work. Tucson isn't a big city either so most trips are short with the occasional drive to phoenix and back.

I'll keep monitoring every 50 miles and will post updates.
This issue started after my trip back from extreme cold utah.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
I don't see why these Chrysler engines have that issue with the milky film. I live in ohio where the temperatures are really cold and took a 4 hour trip yesterday with no issues. 4 hours back today and still nothing. Maybe it's my new engine? Idk. I'd like some insight on this because if having that new pcv system will be beneficial to me I'd like to have it.

2002 Jeep Liberty 3.7L with brand new engine ;)
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've never had any issues at all either with any of mine. When I worked downtown at One Government Center in Toledo I lived 6 miles away, never an issue with any condensation ever.
Some have it, some don't I've never worried about it
Down here in C-bus, I work from home but my son works 3 miles away, so run him to work every day. No issues on the 04 or the 03 , clean as a whistle
so don't worry about it if you are not seeing anything

uss2defiant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here's the update.
They discontinued the kit as of February. Maybe they got smart because the kit is way cheaper than buying each individual part.

The parts that the kit comprises are still all availabe.
53034065AA $13.00
68044349AA $51.64
53020891AE $31.74
4275086AC (you don’t need this, it’s just an update label to put under your hood)
5191775AA $0.92

This is about $60-70 more than the kit.

I think if I would make the changes to my PCV system. I would just plug the pcv port on the oil filler neck to save some money.

renegade 04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just a FYI there are no more of the kits available here in the usa. I know because I own the last 2 kits that were at dealers. I got one kit for my jeep and one for my dads durango.

dude1116

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't get it...isn't the PCV supposed to stop that steaming that you're getting? Unless maybe it's just condensation burn off?

renegade 04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Correct, it seems the baffle itself is causing a problem. Apparently Chrysler stopped putting the baffles in filler necks for the reason that it was causing the milky white stuff in the filler neck.

uss2defiant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
it's definitely condensation.
I went to UT in December.
Took a few month to get the foaming to stop after.

ltd02

Comfortably numb
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think the baffle just catches the condensation. The location of the PCV causes the condensation. It'll just collect on the cap if you remove it. Also, I think that 51$ part isn't necessary if you have an 02-03 and just modify the PCV to intake tube from an 07. I think the 07 tube was like 11 bucks and I got the part number from profdlp.

ltd02

Comfortably numb
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
yeah. $51 is insane for such a short hose.
profdlp, spill the beans please :D

I'm trying to find where I posted my home made kit. I saw a post from profdlp where he was struggling to change his PCV and saw the hose that I needed to complete my swap. Basically the parts listed above but with that hose connected to the PCV now placed in the dside breather port then cut and joined to the regular port on the intake for the PCV hose.

ltd02

Comfortably numb
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just look back earlier in this thread and I have a few posts with part numbers. I basically just made my own "part #3" from LibertyTC post #22. I made it from the stock PCV to intake hose from an 07.

EDIT see post 39.