PCV Positive Crancase Ventilation -TSB

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
If you are talking about just the oil cap film, probably smokey oil getting past.
Drive it get it super hot, turn it off, and pull the oil baffle, see it smoke at all?

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
The Package arrived at Stealership today..:gr_grin:
54879[/ATTACH]"]
You must be registered for see images attach

Attachments

• KhVOHxk.jpg
    KhVOHxk.jpg
    509.1 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
What is a regular basis? The old small PCV was ya check it often & gunk but ..
The new PCV has way more robust design! Away from filler neck too!
Has a much Larger diameter!
It should flow better without plugging up easily like the old puny/thin PCV mounted on oil tube.
Click on image to see video below:
"]
[/URL]
Ya it rattles and that is what counts!
Seems like a nice spring in there too! :gr_grin:

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
Good luck to you. I hope it improves your situation and that you have no more yogurt under the oil cap. :favorites13:

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
What is a regular basis? The old small PCV was ya check it often & gunk but ..
The new PCV has way more robust design! Away from filler neck too!
Has a much Larger diameter!
It should flow better without plugging up easily like the old puny/thin PCV mounted on oil tube.
Click on image to see video below:
"]
[/URL]
Ya it rattles and that is what counts!
Seems like a nice spring in there too! :gr_grin:

Even the old style if they rattled was not always a sign that they were actually working right. I would still want to be changing them out every so often, cheap insurance if nothing else. :shrug:
just because something is bigger does not mean its that much better or will last longer

Cardhu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
been doing some reading on the ram 1500 forums and all the "cool" kids do a catch can to prevent all that build up from going back into the intake.

The weird and strange summary is the wildly different seasonal rates at which the catch can fills up. Winter time being the larger and composition not resembling pure oil. I guess with the pcv valve old style being down the neck of oil fill, it precipitates out before being vented to the intake creating that mayonnaise style deposit above the vent.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
I made this Diagram for clarity & added a copy into the How To Section post as well.
54936[/ATTACH]"]

You can see that only the Driver's side now vents though PCV back into intake.Will oil still be flowing much back into the intake?
With the Update, the Passenger side vents into Mr.Sponge Bob/Air Filter.
Will oil now be showing up in Mr.Sponge Bob, air filter needing more frequent replacement?
Will update when I get some miles on w/ new system.

Attachments

• bHRdCFi.jpg
    bHRdCFi.jpg
    463.6 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
My 2007 came preconfigured with the new style and my sponge is still nice and clean. I'm betting yours will stay that way, though I am curious to see what your real-world results are. :)

Birdman330

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 2007 came preconfigured with the new style and my sponge is still nice and clean. I'm betting yours will stay that way, though I am curious to see what your real-world results are. :)

I need to rip into mine to see my full and exact setup, I think mine should be the same as yours. Though knowing Chrysler, I wouldn't be surprised if I have something set up differently. Since it amazes even ******** Jeep owners to the extreme that there are 4x2 Jeeps in existence.

uss2defiant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just checked the oil filler neck, about 450 miles into the new oil change and there was foam.

1.Does anyone else have the same PCV hose setup as the TSB fix?
If so, does it help with short distance driving?

2. Is the PCV useless again foam if say it foamed up all the way to the PCV?? Would this explain why I loose about 1-2 quarts of oil between every 3k miles OIC?

ltd02

Comfortably numb
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just checked the oil filler neck, about 450 miles into the new oil change and there was foam.

1.Does anyone else have the same PCV hose setup as the TSB fix?
If so, does it help with short distance driving?

2. Is the PCV useless again foam if say it foamed up all the way to the PCV?? Would this explain why I loose about 1-2 quarts of oil between every 3k miles OIC?

1. I have the 02 version of the PCV swap and no foam in the filler tube after a bout 800 miles, but haven't pulled the PCV tube to see if there is any there. My drive is typically 35-40 miles one way to and from work so not short distance.

2. Not sure. If plugged not good of course but if stuck open then I'd think you'd pull more oil or oil vapor into the intake and lose oil level. As I understand it more vacuum at idle and should close as RPM rise.

I'm far (very far) from an expert. Maybe someone with a better answer will be along soon. :shrug:

BTW, I had massive foam issues all the way from the PCV to the intake and never lost oil between oil changes.

uss2defiant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so the wholekit + resonator cap is 38.70 before shipping and tax
but it's cheaper than buying each part in the kit separately which comes up to $92.91 before shipping and tx.

o.0

ltd02 and Tim: Can you verify that 68044350AA comes with all the parts mentioned in the TSB? I think this is cheap enough for me to go ahead with this change. Stinks that the new PCV is going to be more expensive in this set up. Thanks.

The TSB mentioned the fix for extreme cold weather but I'm all the way down here in Southern AZ. Definitely not extreme cold here. headscratch.gif

Last edited:

ltd02

Comfortably numb
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
so the wholekit + resonator cap is 38.70 before shipping and tax
but it's cheaper than buying each part in the kit separately which comes up to $92.91 before shipping and tx.

o.0

ltd02 and Tim: Can you verify that 68044350AA comes with all the parts mentioned in the TSB? I think this is cheap enough for me to go ahead with this change. Stinks that the new PCV is going to be more expensive in this set up. Thanks.

The TSB mentioned the fix for extreme cold weather but I'm all the way down here in Southern AZ. Definitely not extreme cold here. headscratch.gif

I ordered the pieces separately and fabbed the PCV to intake from 53032993AF (profdlp helped me out on this one) and a piece of 1/2 inch fuel line. That single piece ordered separate from the kit was around 40 bucks. :shrug: I was in it for about 50 bucks so definitely order the kit. I actually found the kit for sale after ordering the parts. Tim will hopefully add to this but I strongly believe the kit will have what you need. I just used a Dorman 1/2 inch vacuum cap for the resonator.

Your situation is a headscratcher since I really don't see much in the summer. Fall through spring it was epic. You aren't losing any coolant are you? I always fear the HG leak when I see the foam in mine. That's where my coolant went when I did have a HG problem a while back.