OscarMike/Howard Hughes Liberty Concept

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RENEGADE Concept

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks! I've got more coming very soon. Including the FINALLY finished roof rack crossbars, and some bumper trim pieces that are gonna be sweet.

RENEGADE Concept

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was pricing some tires today at Firestone, and the manager who was helping me kept calling my kj a wrangler. When I tried to correct him he didn't believe it was a liberty until he walked outside to take a closer look. Lol. It's not the first time someone has mistaken it for a wrangler, and I take it as a compliment. :)

RENEGADE Concept

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Custom Crossbars

Here are my custom roof rack crossbars made mostly from modified Nissan Frontier and Xterra parts. I always loved the look of the roof rack on the xterra. And now the top of my Renegade has a very similar look.
I already had the Mopar crossbars for carrying my kayak, but I hate how the bars overlap the rails and stick out the sides. They just look aftermarket. They don't have a clean fitted look like something that came on the vehicle. But my new crossbars do, and look awesome. That said, I'm not sure they were worth all the work. Making them was a major pain, and an exercise in frustration. Lol

Attachments

• IMG_20170517_2871.jpg
    IMG_20170517_2871.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_20170517_51437.jpg
    IMG_20170517_51437.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_20170517_42535.jpg
    IMG_20170517_42535.jpg
    82.1 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_20170517_19423.jpg
    IMG_20170517_19423.jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 34
Last edited:

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
Absolutely awesome work.

:big_banana_Dance:

Dave

RENEGADE Concept

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks Bert. I'll have to take a current pic. Although shortly after taking it the photo will be out dated again. Lol. Things are evolving quickly right now.

RENEGADE Concept

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks Jim. :). All plastic parts that were cut or reshaped were sanded smooth to look like they were originally made that way. All metal welds are hidden inside the plastic end caps. And the small metal parts I made from scratch were powder coated to match the factory parts.

RENEGADE Concept

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bumper trim fins

Part of what inspired me to start this project is that the design of the Liberty looks a little unfinished. Almost like the design team was pulled off the job before putting the finishing touches on. One example of this is on my 06 bumper - it has these fin shaped flat areas on the top ends. Given that the liberty is an exercise in curves these Isolated flat areas look a bit out of place. Unless of course they were originally put there with the intent of mounting something there. That's what inspired me to create two diamond plate trim pieces - almost like you could step there while tying the bow of a kayak over the hood. ;-)

The attached photo is of the diamond plate piece before final refining and powder coating either silver or satin black.

Attachments

• IMG_20170523_33799.jpg
    IMG_20170523_33799.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 39

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Excellent fab work - inspiring!

Keep the pics coming - I love your creativity and ability to make your KJ your very own. Outstanding!

Bob

RENEGADE Concept

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys. :). I'd post more pics but I have to be a little conservative at this point or I'll reach the limit for pics before I finish the jeep. Lol. And there's still a lot yet coming.

turblediesel

memberable
Reaction score
Part of what inspired me to start this project is that the design of the Liberty looks a little unfinished. Almost like the design team was pulled off the job before putting the finishing touches on. One example of this is on my 06 bumper - it has these fin shaped flat areas on the top ends. Given that the liberty is an exercise in curves these Isolated flat areas look a bit out of place. Unless of course they were originally put there with the intent of mounting something there. That's what inspired me to create two diamond plate trim pieces - almost like you could step there while tying the bow of a kayak over the hood. ;-)

The attached photo is of the diamond plate piece before final refining and powder coating either silver or satin black.

That's where you park your beer.

It won't slip off now. Looks cool!

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
^^yup, "beer holders", that's it. You got the original "Jeep Beer Holders".....

Dave

RENEGADE Concept

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks Kevin. :). Just be careful, it can be a trap - once you start you might not be able to stop. Two years from now you may be where I am, looking at no end in sight and wondering why did I start this project. Lol

Latest posts

Members online