OME vs Ironman

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kj04libby

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What are the thoughts on these springs? Which are better? Does one last long? Does one have more lift? Anyone have experience with both? I could definitely see Tom having experience with both if he sees this. Input would be greatly appreciated.

streetglideok

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Tom is the guru on this, but I just put Ironman springs on my KJ Saturday, so I'll give you my input. They ride very nice, not too harsh at all. The coils are much heavier than stock, and slightly longer as well. As for lift, in my situation, and I've heard a few others say something similar, the fronts don't lift as much as the OME do. It does not change the amount of travel, because the front shock dictates that, it just rides a little lower in the shock stroke. Rears came out about the same as OMEs.
Ok, hard numbers, measured tonight from the hub to the fender flare, 20" in front, and 22" in rear. No ISOs, or top plate or clevis lift at all, all spring lift. I had hoped for a higher stance in front, but to no avail. My JBA 1/4" plate will be here tomorrow, so when I do my axle seal in a few weeks, I'll install the plate, and sit the clevis out 3/8" to help level it out some.

4x4kayak2112

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I run the ironman hd and mine are at 21 1/2 in the front and 22 in the rear

Sent with the power of children's screams!!

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What are the thoughts on these springs? Which are better? Does one last long? Does one have more lift? Anyone have experience with both? I could definitely see Tom having experience with both if he sees this. Input would be greatly appreciated.
OME 790's are most likely not enough for the added weight your putting up front.Your most likely needing coils in to 550lbs-600lbs rating to hold a all cast iron V8.

kj04libby

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OME 790's are most likely not enough for the added weight your putting up front.Your most likely needing coils in to 550lbs-600lbs rating to hold a all cast iron V8.

So far I'm having trouble getting the front end to sit down it sits higher now than it did before. The engine block alone in the 3.7 weighs 180lbs. I can barely pick it up. And me and my friend picked up the whole 350 together with little trouble. And the short shaft turbo 350 weighs easlily 50 lbs less than the stock trans. Maybe when I get all the coolant and oil in it, it'll help.

4x4kayak2112

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How come you got 1.5" more than streetglide did?

I have no idea....I got mine about six months after Tom did. I have the 3.7 and im running ironman hd (part #jeep041c) with bilstein shocks

I believe that stock kj was 19.5"

Sent with the power of children's screams!!

Last edited:

streetglideok

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I used the load range B springs, can't remember the part number on the springs. JBA has a spring insert in the front I could slip under the coils and preload them a little more, if need be, but not sure it is really needed. I'll do a clevis and top lift when I tear her down again, and likely do the arms as well. I really don't like running that much negative camber, honestly.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
The set I got and then installed on 501s are still in the 22.75 range
BUT,...........I did do something different than anyone else has

On the Ironman front "shocks" you can install strut spring rings, on a 350 lb spring it will add 175 lb of force . Install under the spring and the bottom plate of the shock Of course then top plates and 3/8 inch clevis

streetglideok

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The rings weren't an option for me, since JBA was out of stock on the ironman front shocks. Seemed like I read they only work on theirs, not on OME shocks. They have another type of insert though that goes under the spring that is rated for the same amount. Don't suppose you know how much change in ride harshness there would be by adding that much force Tom? An ARB bumper is likely out of the question for me anytime soon, best case scenario would be a backbone and a 8k winch eventually, but there's many more upgrades to do before that.
My original plan was to have the top plate, new bump stops for the front on hand, but the order was delayed waiting on a shipment. I have to go back in anyways, so no biggie. I also see JBA sells a half inch clevis spacer. Is that feasible, or is that too much?
I think Tom has said before that he liked the Ironman springs for ride quality, but OME gave a little more lift.

Last edited:

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Personally I wouldn't do a 1/2 inch clevis since it does pull the bottom up quite a bit ( for my liking) but some have .............

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So far I'm having trouble getting the front end to sit down it sits higher now than it did before. The engine block alone in the 3.7 weighs 180lbs. I can barely pick it up. And me and my friend picked up the whole 350 together with little trouble. And the short shaft turbo 350 weighs easlily 50 lbs less than the stock trans. Maybe when I get all the coolant and oil in it, it'll help.
The 3.7 is less then 400lbs while the 350 is 575lbs before accessories.

kj04libby

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well not arguing with what I see and have lifted. And so the 790s are the strongest OME, right? And that's stronger than ironmans strongest, correct? 8000 lb which and bumper is going on after swap. 1.swap 2.bumper 3.lift then 4.tires. So just trying to figure out the rates and lift of each

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
790's will be like adding stock 2.4 KJ coils on a CRD then adding 200lbs of bumper and winch.

I had to use coils for a V8 ZJ to hold up my front end with a ARB and winch(with syn rope) and the 5.2/5.9's are a lot light then a GM 350 of the '70's era by a far amount.

kj04libby

Full Access Member
Reaction score
790's will be like adding stock 2.4 KJ coils on a CRD then adding 200lbs of bumper and winch.

I had to use coils for a V8 ZJ to hold up my front end with a ARB and winch(with syn rope) and the 5.2/5.9's are a lot light then a GM 350 of the '70's era by a far amount.

I was trying to figure out how you used ZJ coils and then it hit me.

SFA lol

kj04libby

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The set I got and then installed on 501s are still in the 22.75 range
BUT,...........I did do something different than anyone else has

On the Ironman front "shocks" you can install strut spring rings, on a 350 lb spring it will add 175 lb of force . Install under the spring and the bottom plate of the shock Of course then top plates and 3/8 inch clevis

This got off topic which one did you get more lift with?