OME HD spring on a stock KJ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ShafferNY

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This may sound like a dumb question, but can I put OME HD springs on my otherwise stock KJ with no ill effects or unbelievably harsh ride?

When I contacted ARB they recommend going with the light coils in a stock application. They said the mediums or heavy duties will cause problems resulting from too much lift.

I'd like to go with the HD's because I'd like to add more goodies as I go and can afford them.

It seems kinda stupid to put the light duty coils in there and then as soon as I start adding things have the Jeep start sagging.

J-Thompson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This may sound like a dumb question, but can I put OME HD springs on my otherwise stock KJ with no ill effects or unbelievably harsh ride?

When I contacted ARB they recommend going with the light coils in a stock application. They said the mediums or heavy duties will cause problems resulting from too much lift.

I'd like to go with the HD's because I'd like to add more goodies as I go and can afford them.

It seems kinda stupid to put the light duty coils in there and then as soon as I start adding things have the Jeep start sagging.

you can put any springs you want and it will work
this is my take
the light duty coils are no better than stock
the med. coils are better on a stocker or one with a bumper and stock armor that sees some trail time
the HD coils are for those with bumper/winch and heavy armor
the question you need to ask your self is
"do I need the extreme end of things or is it just that every one else is doing it so it must be right?"
Like I said we have stock or just better than stock armor and nothing else and the ride is a little stiff so HD's would be to much
another question is is it 4wd or 2wd
4wd's weigh a good bit more and the extra weight is all on the front springs
so they need more spring just for that
if you have a 2wd then you can go med. and add a winch and bumper and still not have the front end weight of my 4wd

I would NEVER go back to stock suspension EVER

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Many people have put the OME HD coils in the KJ with no aftermarket F/R bumber's and and do not complain,they actually say it rides way better,firm but not harsh like a Jeep is suposed to ride like.Withe just the OME HD coils you will get about 2"-2.5" of lift,make sure you get new struts/shocks(Rancho is a very good choice here),extended F/R bumbstops,and make a extended rear brake line bracket(takes 5mins and cost about $1 to do).

ShafferNY

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My plan is to go OME HD's all the way around, with Rancho's. Then extended bump stops both front and rear.

I'm going to order everything from All J's as soon as I can.

I'd love to put an ARB up front, but realistically, I'll probably be putting a front mounted receiver with recovery points, and then maybe switch over to a KJ backbone system.

ShafferNY

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was just checking this sticky out and the HD springs are only 90lbs over stock. Seems as though it would be easy to accumulate an additional 90lbs up front between either skids, front receiver, KJ backbone system, ARB bull bar, or what have you.

I was also thinking OME948's were HD springs until I saw read this too. They're medium springs. My mistake.

http://www.jeepkj.com/forum/showthread.php?t=37130

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was just checking this sticky out and the HD springs are only 90lbs over stock. Seems as though it would be easy to accumulate an additional 90lbs up front between either skids, front receiver, KJ backbone system, ARB bull bar, or what have you.

I was also thinking OME948's were HD springs until I saw read this too. They're medium springs. My mistake.

Springs are rated in lbs,that does not mean that a 400lbs rated spring can only handle 90lbs more then a 310lbs rated spring.Lets say you have a 400lbs rated coil,it takes 400lbs of force to compress that coil 1",it takes 800lbs of force to compress it 2",and so on.Now a coil like used in the KJ has a free length,the length the coil stands with no pressure on it,installed it takes the vehicle weight and compresses to ride height,which can be 3"-10" in difference depending on coil free height,spring rate,and vehicle weight.

LibertyFever

Full Access Member
Reaction score

I don't understand something about the chart displayed on that link. It seems to state the maximum lift for any of the coils is 1.5".

Ry' N Jen

Banned
Reaction score
Slightly North of the 49° th. Parallel... In HongC
Thats some good advice here!
But now everybody here has got me thinking!
Two things.
I want a Frankenlift I, but a three 4X4 shops here in the lower mainland tell me that OME coil springs "should" be used exclusively used with OME struts and shocks as they are matched to the coil springs!
So that would then be Frankenlift II Premium Kit. Only a difference of an additional $163.08 so not the end of the world!
However, I have read here and spoken to one local, that OME struts and shocks provide a softer "mushier" ride.
Then there is the fact that any Frankenlift had the H/D coil springs.

I already have a 9500 lbs. winch sitting here and I'll have a Backbone winch mount in the next two or three months.
The winch weighs in at 87 lbs. and that Backbone mount 38 lbs. Thats an additional 125 lbs. plus skid plates.

Are the H/D springs too heavy duty for only 125 lbs.? Or would medium springs be more than adequate?
Then do what others here suggest and, should I splurge and buy an ARB or similar front bumper, buy a pair of H/D coil springs later down the line?

All of my vehicles have always had after market suspension fitted. They all handled very well. So I'm wondering just how mushy, firm or stiff all these combo's are.
Right now the suspension on our KJ is bagged out and I'm at the point where it needs to be replaced A.S.A.P.

Ah... Decisions, decisions, decisions!

kj924

Administrator
Reaction score
Now, here's a tale completely different. I have the OME 132L's the long travel shocks in the rear of my KJ. These feel a lot stiffer than the OEM's. Where I use to bottom out and have a terrible noise from the back before with the OEM shocks, there are no noises now. When I do hit a bump now, the stiffness from the rear is ...well harsh. Rusty's rear coils and the OME rear shocks give me lots of travel for towing especially, the rear sits very high, even when I loaded a 6x12 U-Haul with my furniture when I moved. So, I have the opinion that the OME shocks are stiff in their ride.

Just my 2 pesos worth. :p

J-Thompson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Now, here's a tale completely different. I have the OME 132L's the long travel shocks in the rear of my KJ. These feel a lot stiffer than the OEM's. Where I use to bottom out and have a terrible noise from the back before with the OEM shocks, there are no noises now. When I do hit a bump now, the stiffness from the rear is ...well harsh. Rusty's rear coils and the OME rear shocks give me lots of travel for towing especially, the rear sits very high, even when I loaded a 6x12 U-Haul with my furniture when I moved. So, I have the opinion that the OME shocks are stiff in their ride.

Just my 2 pesos worth. :p

Just a little FYI
shocks do not carry a load the springs do that
if you were "bottoming out" the OE shocks then you will kill the 132L's the first time you go off road
the OE bump stops are made to work with the OE shock length
the OME N132 shocks are made to work with the OE bump stops
the OME N132L's require more bump stop length ,thus the L at the end
if your ride is "harsh" with the OME shocks then you may have killed them already