OK, so let's be serious...4.7l swap.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Status
Not open for further replies.

RedTRex

Reaction score
So it's looking like the V8 swap will be officially starting next week.

I will do my best to document and photograph the entire process so as to let other folks who are interested in taking this project on know exactly what is involved. As with anything outside of my realm of expertise, I'm sure there will be a few surprises that are discovered, but I'm hoping that the ones that show up aren't too difficult to figure out.

I will start a new thread to freshen the place up and keep things clutter free and easy to follow.

This sucker is about to go down...

Did you ever get that swap thread completed?

JasonJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dont 3.7s and 4.7s have the same pistons? I mean, if the 4.7 is just a 3.7 +2 cyls...

so how is that stronger pistons run $800 when perhaps we could jsut use some 4.7l pistons that are already produced to replace our weaker ones?

I too was thinking that for all the work and money being spent on these 4.7l swaps (and add it up, $550 for just an ecm and harness), the whole swap has to go into the $1500-$2000 range unless you use all old crappy junk yard parts...

I bet for half of that you could re-work the heads and pistons on a 3.7 for high compression and get v8 power out of it. Maybe not.. i dont pretend to know for sure. Or go low compression and stick a cheapy ebay turbo on it.

WyoJeeper

Reaction score
So has anyone figured the engine mounts out yet? I am contemplating a 4.7 for my wifes 02 Liberty. Cost isnt an issue and the Liberty was super cheap.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Thats a cluster of a thread. Nothing clear. Wiring is easy.

Really the wiring is easy, guy who did that swap went through several things to get both the engine and the KJ talking nice to each other
But hey if its easy then go for it :gr_grin:

JasonJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Really the wiring is easy, guy who did that swap went through several things to get both the engine and the KJ talking nice to each other
But hey if its easy then go for it :gr_grin:

Tom, guy said cost isn't an issue...so perhaps he intends to just pay someone to do it. I'd do a lot of crazy, difficult things for the right price. $5-10k does a lot of motivating.

Mounts aren't the issue... manifolds, heck, get good with a welder and buy a variety of mandrel bent pipe and go to town, build what WILL fit. But getting the 4.7PCM to communicate properly with the rest of the Liberty's modules, sensors, various switches and such... anyone who's gone this route gave up here after much trying, or allegedly got it to work, eventually.

If the engine controls were totally separate from transmission, body, etc, you could theoretically just swap the entire 4.7 harness and PCM and keep it all together with the engine swap... I've had cars that way, it was nice come engine upgrade time. Not so sure the same holds true here.

But, good luck. Just like my last comment 2 years ago on this, I'd rather rebuild a 3.7 with better internals. Port and work the heads, improved valve seats, bump up the compression with some new pistons, H-beam forged rods, custom headers and a modified intake, add in a custom PCM program...

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Still can't see the reason to go to all of the work for a very small boost in power . Just not worth it in my book, now if we were talking 175 / 200 HP more possibly but of course then lots of other things would need to be replaced/ upgraded as well

JasonJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Agreed. Really, 210hp isn't too bad. Ideally I'd have preferred to have about 240-260hp in this truck, since it's so dang heavy. But 210 scoots it pretty good if you get in the right gear and apply the right amount of throttle.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Why settle for 30-40hp more?

If $$$ is no object I'll hook you up with a guy that will swap in a 500hp/500lbs-ft of torque 6.4 HEMI in your KJ plus any dealership can diagnose it like it came with that engine stock.

Granted it requires 1 mod before he will do it,the KJ must be SFA'd as that is the only way the oil pan will clear,and of course a heavily modified drivetrain(t-case and axles).

The complete package(engine/trans/t-case and SFA swap) should only set you back $60k-$70k after all is said and done.

04Liberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score

If $$$ is no object I'll hook you up with a guy that will swap in a 500hp/500lbs-ft of torque 6.4 HEMI in your KJ plus any dealership can diagnose it like it came with that engine stock.

Granted it requires 1 mod before he will do it,the KJ must be SFA'd as that is the only way the oil pan will clear,and of course a heavily modified drivetrain(t-case and axles).

The complete package(engine/trans/t-case and SFA swap) should only set you back $60k-$70k after all is said and done.

Bwahaha!!

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score

Lets see more than likely cheaper than a new JK with a Hemi installed and way more cool factor , not a bad deal ( if ya got an extra 60-70 K )
Personally if I had the cash would not even second guess, just straight to get it done !

Last edited:

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Lest see more than likely cheaper than a new JK with a Hemi installed and way more cool factor , not a bad deal ( if ya got an extra 60-70 K )
Personally if I had the cash would not even second guess, just straight to get it done !

Yeah I see the AEV JK's with only the 5.7's on the lot's in Denver going for $90,000,the Brute versions are well north of $115,000.

dude1116

Full Access Member
Reaction score

What's that saying? It's like boinking your sister...

WyoJeeper

Reaction score
Well for one I will never pay anyone to swap engines in a Jeep. And if I want HP it wont be getting a Hemi. I have a TJ that is my main rig, the KJ is for my wife. But it will get a SFA eventually. And why the heck pay that much for a engine swap? If you cant do it yourself why even try?

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Well for one I will never pay anyone to swap engines in a Jeep. And if I want HP it wont be getting a Hemi. I have a TJ that is my main rig, the KJ is for my wife. But it will get a SFA eventually. And why the heck pay that much for a engine swap? If you cant do it yourself why even try?

Well for one , any issues it guaranteed, plug and play , any engine trans issues pull into any Mopar dealership and it will hook right up to any machine
SURE you can swap yourself but with all of the wiring etc , not at all like we used to do it back in the 70s and 80s . To keep everything legal now a days takes more

But I know where this is going so , have a great day

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score

When your talking about a $15,000 engine,$7000 trans,and the parts for the SFA swap(axles and t-case and such) it adds up then you got labor.

There is only 2 company's that have the rights to Chryslers programming to make these swaps conform to warranty so it's done right.Done right does not mean cheap.

Conundrum2006

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Opening a can of worms here, just curious do these shops reprogram the existing ecu's to accept the v8?
Or is it more along the lines of making it correct for the car vin, mileage, etc with the donor set up?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Members online