OK, so let's be serious...4.7l swap.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Status
Not open for further replies.

04Liberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Opening a can of worms here, just curious do these shops reprogram the existing ecu's to accept the v8?
Or is it more along the lines of making it correct for the car vin, mileage, etc with the donor set up?

If I remember right he went with an adapter harness presetup from Hotwireauto. These guys set up the harness (and computer if you supply it or buy one from them) to work with your existing structure. Doing this with my 03 Ram (to 05) to be able to tune my hemi correctly.

Oldenglish

Reaction score
4.7 swap in liberty

I'm considering the 4.7 swap can anyone tell me what year and Vin # I need to look for or can I put the high output from an 06-07 Dakota in my liberty?

Conundrum2006

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Um, for a Hotwireauto set up. No idea, probably match the engine to year ecu system.

For just dropping in and running it's not going to work from what I've read.
It's only 2 more cylinder than the 3.7 and should be the same bolt pattern but the engine control usually kills these projects

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

GunnerSchenck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nope.. you should be looking for a jeep 3.7l.. should drop right in and bolt right up with absolutely minimal modification needed :happy175:
And with a fraction of the labor, you can spend the money and time wasted on labor to pay for modifications that will make up for the minimal hp gain you'd get from a 4.7.. my hats off to you if you attempt, but try starting at the beginning of this thread and look how much money has been thrown at unsuccessful attempts.
Now.. waste time on a 4.7, or get a 3.7 and build it for less money and a large difference in the number of headaches lol

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
^^^or Jeep already makes one with a v-8. A GC hemi or a srt-8 will push you back in the seat when you throttle it.......I drove one and it moved right along.

Dave

Gregoryb

Reaction score
I have a 2002 jeep liberty and was wanting to put a 4.7 in it how do I wire up the two extra coils and injectors do I use the pcm out of the donor truck it was a 2003 dodge ram

Gregoryb

Reaction score
I would like to know where to get a video about swapping a 4.7 in my jeep liberty 2002

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
I have no idea about the coils etc, however, I will try to be helpful the best I can.
This 4.7 is by far a complicated install and only for those with control module experience, many additional skills & $$.
I wonder how many who may have attempted this, wished from the beginning they kept it simple & just used another 3.7 engine as the replacement, which works perfectly for the KJ.
See post # 125 and Post #126 above.
Even though member Honduras completed the 4.7 install, in the end he still had regrets with IFS and now a true gas guzzler, for a daily driver.
See this link: http://www.jeepkj.com/forum/f196/jeep-liberty-v8-swap-megathread-54967/
Re missing photos: Many members used Photobucket including myself, to post inside the forum.
However they all got removed by Photobucket, quickly, unless you paid for a subscription.
No one wanted to pay $ for hosting, so many moved onto Imgur etc that was free, but many of the photobucket photos are simply gone.
I am not trying to persuade anyone from making a 4.7 attempt, just trying to make those aware of your trail ahead or potentially more like trials & tribulations.

JasonJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 2002 jeep liberty and was wanting to put a 4.7 in it how do I wire up the two extra coils and injectors do I use the pcm out of the donor truck it was a 2003 dodge ram

You'd use the engine wiring harness that goes with the 4.7l engine... from there, you'd have to either do a custom ROM computer, standalone, or cut and splice and reprogram what is there.

I would like to know where to get a video about swapping a 4.7 in my jeep liberty 2002

None exist, so if you want to make one, you'd be the first. There is a very good reason why none exist.

How to I find your pics

Photobucket hosted = Gone.

What about the two extra coils

See above.

This is not pull old, drop in new, place donor wiring harness in and plug in PCM and go. If the 4.7l was a factory option, then sure... but it wasn't, and despite being the +2 cylinder version of the 3.7l, it just doesn't work that way when swapping one in.

Samsolo49

Reaction score
That new of a 4.7 may be alot more tricky since it has 16 spark plugs,room will be a factor to access those bottom 8 plugs.
I have a 2003 kk and the engine is burning lol at 260,000 miles and I'm wanting to do a 4.7 swap, if I use a 4.7 and transmission out or a durango of the same year would the computer have any problems comunicating?

Samsolo49

Reaction score
I have a 2003 kk and the engine is burning lol at 260,000 miles and I'm wanting to do a 4.7 swap, if I use a 4.7 and transmission out or a durango of the same year would the computer have any problems comunicating?
Sorry, kj, fat fingers

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
YES

Status
Not open for further replies.