OK, so let's be serious...4.7l swap.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Honduras

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got some goodies in the mail today...
ECM
honduras-albums-stuff-picture4301-image.jpg

full harness
honduras-albums-stuff-picture4298-image.jpg

1, 3, 5, & 7
honduras-albums-stuff-picture4300-image.jpg

2, 4, 6, & 8
honduras-albums-stuff-picture4299-image.jpg

Re-wrapped and connections labeled. Hotwireauto did a very impressive job!

The plan is to start work on the swap project in 3 weeks. But I have to be honest, having all the parts sitting and ready to go in my garage is absolute torture!

TheBlueKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got some goodies in the mail today...
ECM
honduras-albums-stuff-picture4301-image.jpg

full harness
honduras-albums-stuff-picture4298-image.jpg

1, 3, 5, & 7
honduras-albums-stuff-picture4300-image.jpg

2, 4, 6, & 8
honduras-albums-stuff-picture4299-image.jpg

Re-wrapped and connections labeled. Hotwireauto did a very impressive job!

The plan is to start work on the swap project in 3 weeks. But I have to be honest, having all the parts sitting and ready to go in my garage is absolute torture!

That wiring looks pretty complicated

04Liberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you look at it and think about where everything goes, its not bad. You figure those paired plugs in the 1,3,5,7 & 2,4,6,8 pics are for injector and coil per cyl. Big end goes to the PCM. Everything else is to sensors/sending units, etc. From looking at it I don't think the trans harness is in there, is it, unless it's the long piece that goes off into the upper right corner?

JeepCoMJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
trans harness is in the engine harness, but it's a small series of wires.

04Liberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
trans harness is in the engine harness, but it's a small series of wires.

Looks very similar to the 2005 setup I got for my Ram to convert it. Single PCM, no separate TCM (like my 03 Ram has).

Honduras

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looks very similar to the 2005 setup I got for my Ram to convert it. Single PCM, no separate TCM (like my 03 Ram has).

The '02 thru '04 Liberty's used a separate ECM/TCM (JTEC), while the '05 and later models have the TCM integrated into the ECM (NGC).

ThunderbirdJunkie

Bronze Supporter
Reaction score
The '02 thru '04 Liberty's used a separate ECM/TCM (JTEC), while the '05 and later models have the TCM integrated into the ECM (NGC).

02 and early 03 had separate ecm/TCM, 42RLE KJs have the EMC and TCM are together.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Honduras

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So it's looking like the V8 swap will be officially starting next week.

I will do my best to document and photograph the entire process so as to let other folks who are interested in taking this project on know exactly what is involved. As with anything outside of my realm of expertise, I'm sure there will be a few surprises that are discovered, but I'm hoping that the ones that show up aren't too difficult to figure out.

I will start a new thread to freshen the place up and keep things clutter free and easy to follow.

This sucker is about to go down...

twack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
im about to pull my 3.7. not sure if im going rebuild or 4.7 but a detailed walkthrough would really help sway my decision

JeepCoMJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
good luck. I dropped the idea a few months ago. not enough power increase to be worth the time, other than the cool factor.

put a new 3.7 in and be happy with it.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Just thought I'd add this, but we're clear about the reason why the KJ didn't have the 4.7, right? During crash testing, since the 4.7 was larger, it came through the firewall. So if you do the 4.7 swap, maybe consider some reinforcements.

Atrus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No doubt haing a V8 under the hood is awesome, even just having that sweet exhaust note. There's nothing like it.

But, for the headache and cost, couldn't some type of FI application be done on the 3.7L? I fully understand the issues with the factory pistons and not being able to handle boost...but for the headache and cost of a 4.7L swap, couldn't a 3.7L be rebuilt to hold boost, not to mention getting some headwork (maybe some custom cam work) and put down some decent numbers? Maybe the cost benefit isn't there.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
The exhaust I've heard on a couple of ones that were done and gone in a week didn't sound that much different than a 3.7 really.
Sure things could be done to the 3.7 with new pistons , cams etc but would all be custom along with computer work etc . I'm sure you'd be looking at several grand to do it right.
KYLiberty tired a lot of things back early on but finally gave up and just enjoyed his the way it was

ThunderbirdJunkie

Bronze Supporter
Reaction score
To build a 3.7 for boost, you spend about $800 on pistons, $600 on rods, $500-1000 on a tune....it's cheaper to buy a 4.7, install it, and put some cams in it than boost a 3.7.

Sent from ThunderbirdJunkie's mind via satellites

u2slow

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd like to see a 4.7L conversion... reminds me of the chevy V8 S10 swaps from years ago. :pimp: V8 torque trumps a high-strung V6 in a 4wheeler, IMHO.

During crash testing, since the 4.7 was larger, it came through the firewall. So if you do the 4.7 swap, maybe consider some reinforcements

A heavy bumper (i.e. ARB) ought to change the crash dynamics a bit ;)

Last edited:

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
All depends on how and where you use your 4 wheel drive
I still know some old chaps that wheeled 4 poppers for years in old Willys, early CJs etc and never had an issue getting anywhere.
Some like to go slow and crawl others think you have to have wheel speed to spin up over everything

jankerson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
All depends on how and where you use your 4 wheel drive
I still know some old chaps that wheeled 4 poppers for years in old Willys, early CJs etc and never had an issue getting anywhere.
Some like to go slow and crawl others think you have to have wheel speed to spin up over everything

Those old Military Jeeps would go just about anywhere, I know because we used them when I was in. They were just 4 cylinders with those skinny Military tires, no lift so they were pretty low to the ground.....

Status
Not open for further replies.