OK, so let's be serious...4.7l swap.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Status
Not open for further replies.

JeepCoMJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would do my SFA swap all over again without thinking twice and for the type of wheeling and area there was just so much you could do with IFS and no I would never own a Wrangler,they ride like a$$.

I get that.

Here's where I'm at with wheelers;

I've built an xj as big as you can go without upgrading axles.

I'm smart enough to know that alloy shafts are wasted on a dana 30, as the week point then becomes the carrier, gears, and knuckles/ball joints.

The dana 44 seems likewise. I've got plenty of friends who have destroyed front dana 44's on 35" tires. I've done that on dana 30's, and grenaded 44 rears on 35's

With that in mind, I won't do an axle swap without at least a dana 60.

When I get to thinking about it at that point, it makes less and less sense to build it that big at all because the real limit is the body of the vehicle at that point.

then you think about going truggy...which still has it's limits, and damn near the same expense of just doing it right.

The next offroad build I do will be a full on tube buggy. I've built several sandrails with chevy power, vw power, but never 4wd. it definitely doesn't take a genious to do a tube buggy, just the right tools....which are worth the money spent if you plan to do it more than once.

I'm just sick of doing things in stages. This KJ will have two stages; engine swap, and lift. that's it. the lift is for the simple fact that stock KJ's appeal to women, and are "cute". I don't want "cute". I want "cool" and "nice"

I'll tell you guys now, until I can replace a KJ body for dirt, I will not take a KJ on more than a green rated trail. It's not worth it.

JeepCoMJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ummm....yeah, the 392 IS a hemi, it's the one they put in the new Challengers, Chargers and 300's...:emotions34:

Considering I'd be swapping engine and trans along with computers (providing it would actually fit), it's PCI to PCI. It can be made to work. Only a ****** would try to use the 3.7 PCM to control a 5.7

I was thinking the old 392's. I'm not well versed in Hemi's to be honest, but ok.

and yes, a ****** would use a 3.7 pcm to control a 5.7. good thing i'm not that ******.

04Liberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was thinking the old 392's. I'm not well versed in Hemi's to be honest, but ok.

and yes, a ****** would use a 3.7 pcm to control a 5.7. good thing i'm not that ******.

Now it is possible for a 4.7 PCM to control a 5.7 with a cable TB (this was done on a Ram 4.7 to 5.7 conversion).

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I get that.

Here's where I'm at with wheelers;

I've built an xj as big as you can go without upgrading axles.

I'm smart enough to know that alloy shafts are wasted on a dana 30, as the week point then becomes the carrier, gears, and knuckles/ball joints.

The dana 44 seems likewise. I've got plenty of friends who have destroyed front dana 44's on 35" tires. I've done that on dana 30's, and grenaded 44 rears on 35's

With that in mind, I won't do an axle swap without at least a dana 60.

When I get to thinking about it at that point, it makes less and less sense to build it that big at all because the real limit is the body of the vehicle at that point.

then you think about going truggy...which still has it's limits, and damn near the same expense of just doing it right.

The next offroad build I do will be a full on tube buggy. I've built several sandrails with chevy power, vw power, but never 4wd. it definitely doesn't take a genious to do a tube buggy, just the right tools....which are worth the money spent if you plan to do it more than once.

I'm just sick of doing things in stages. This KJ will have two stages; engine swap, and lift. that's it. the lift is for the simple fact that stock KJ's appeal to women, and are "cute". I don't want "cute". I want "cool" and "nice"

I'll tell you guys now, until I can replace a KJ body for dirt, I will not take a KJ on more than a green rated trail. It's not worth it.
See that's the thing,you need to build it for what you want it to do.Why put a 4.7 in to daily drive it? No need the 3.7 is more then enough.With the 4.7 the front D30A will never survive on anything but a gravel road at best.Driving style goes along way also,if you just hammer down and hope for the best you will break 5 ton rockwells running 31" tall tires.Learn how to use the low gearing,traction,and approach and you make a D35 survive with a 44" tire.I built mine to do the hard trails as I have no wish or desire to do those trails that buggies on 42" stickies have troubles with.And yes I overkilled it somewhat as it is still a daily driver.

JeepCoMJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
See that's the thing,you need to build it for what you want it to do.Why put a 4.7 in to daily drive it? No need the 3.7 is more then enough.With the 4.7 the front D30A will never survive on anything but a gravel road at best.Driving style goes along way also,if you just hammer down and hope for the best you will break 5 ton rockwells running 31" tall tires.Learn how to use the low gearing,traction,and approach and you make a D35 survive with a 44" tire.I built mine to do the hard trails as I have no wish or desire to do those trails that buggies on 42" stickies have troubles with.And yes I overkilled it somewhat as it is still a daily driver.

oh, i definitely agree.

I was a lead-foot driver on the trails, and have done forward reverse drops so fast that i've fried out TCM's on aw4's. Thing with me is I can fix whatever i break, for damn near free....if i didn't have the parts, i could get them for nothing.

Reason i want the 4.7 is more for towing and the fact that i trust a naturally balanced motor more than I trust a motor with a balance shaft or externally balanced flywheel....an aversion i've had since i dumped the 2.8 gm out of my 86 mj in favor of a buick 3800 s2 from a 96 f body.

Now i'm a few years older, i'm alot lighter on my vehicles. The power needs to be there when it's needed. the v8 doesn't offer much over a 3.7 as far as power, in stock form....this one is getting cammed and such to be more accomodating on torque, as torque vs. weight can increase mpg when driven right, and give you the power you need to tow.

bang for the buck, the 4.7 is a better route than the diesel, as it will cost me less than 1/3 the cost of a diesel KJ when i'm done with it. not even close to the same gas mileage, but the years needed to recuperate cost of the diesel KJ far outweigh the gains of the diesel.

it will all work out in the end. This is what I want out of it, and that's it. I don't intend to take it offroad, nor the silver one....as I said, there's an xj and mj here for that.

Honestly i don't even get out to wheel much anymore. I'd rather go kayaking or camping. don't have to worry about the idiots that come with, break something, and have no idea how to fix it and screw the group out of a few hours of wheeling. We all know that guy in our trail group...and that's an inconvenience that just plain *****.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just the engine swap alone for the 6.1(what was installed for a customer) would be $28,000,the 5.7 was $25,000,and the 6.4 is about $35,000.That is just swapping in the engine and 545RFE trans,will cost more if you have the 42RLE and have not done a SFA and driveline mods to handle the extra power.The 6.4 after installed is 500hp/500lbs-ft of torque but can be supercharged.

Josh

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nope and from talking with the builder it was built and shipped out of country but he could not confirm or deny it as the owner did not want it discussed.

I can not fathom why someone would want this built in secret. Maybe not all the build details so it wasn't copied, but but at least some pics and vids for us to drool over. Is there any other threads on it? There was a hemi Nitro built too wasn't there?

JeepCoMJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
people want to build this stuff in secret for truly selfish reasons.

That's the way it always is.

My 86 jeep comanche has a 96 buick 3800 v6 series 2 out of an f body camaro in it. I have had many people ask me about the swap, and am always happy to link them to the pics and information. But then I talk them out of it, because I personally wouldn't do it the way that I did it on the second try. it's just not an easy swap, and the stock trans, tcase, rear axle won't hold up to it.

This 4.7 swap, you guys will get all of the tech from me on how to do it.

ThunderbirdJunkie

Bronze Supporter
Reaction score
JeepCoMJ, ThunderbirdJunkie always thought a later GenII 3800 would be awesome in an XJ/MJ. Is it as bad ass as he thinks it is?

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can not fathom why someone would want this built in secret. Maybe not all the build details so it wasn't copied, but but at least some pics and vids for us to drool over. Is there any other threads on it? There was a hemi Nitro built too wasn't there?
This was a high end company doing the build,not yoru average shade tree mechanic in a driveway.If the customer does not want it advertized the company will do just that.

JeepCoMJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
JeepCoMJ, ThunderbirdJunkie always thought a later GenII 3800 would be awesome in an XJ/MJ. Is it as bad ass as he thinks it is?

I averaged 26mpg with lead-foot driving on a .020 bore and torquer cam.

I also averaged 1,000 miles on an ax5 transmission, and about that on the dana 35 rears.

Now, that was my first swap, and it bolted to the bell of the ax5 less modifying for the starter to be on the opposite side of the bell. that's why I kept that trans.

Now I built a new transmission, combined the camaro T5 world class with s10 4x4 T5, cryo treated the guts for strength, nv242. I'm moving the motor forward so I won't have to buy new shafts...with a 4.0 core support swapped in, there is 10.38" between the serpentine and efans

I had to do custom motor mounts, headers, y-pipe, obviously wiring, convert the 86 rad support and crossmember to 87+ for the 4.0 rad, modify the bellhousing area of the firewall, and do some frame mods to keep the a/c pump. I also wouldn't do that the way I did again.

here's one grenaded trans. lost a midplate and front bearing on the cross shaft. only gear I had was 4th gear, 5 hours from home. made the trip, had to be real careful not to get stuck in traffic lol.

You must be registered for see images attach

I haven't driven the truck in almost 4 years. it got hit in the bedside, and when i fixed that, i got cut off and hit in the same spot a second time. then after finally upgrading the rear end, ended up doing something dumb and losing a rod bearing.

Haven't fixed it again yet because it's going to take $6500 to do it right, once, and never have to do it again.

Josh

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I get the appeal of being different. Are there other advantages of a 4.7 KJ vs 4.7 WJ?

Last edited:

JeepCoMJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
nick, that really doesn't look like fun.

v8 swap is officially on hold. I've got a buyer for this engine, and have located a new OEM crate 16t motor and the owner has the proper year (o2) ECM WITHOUT SKIM. He wants $2000 for it. deal.

Status
Not open for further replies.