Oil pan covered under powertrain warranty?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

desync0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Last time I had my oil changed, they said the oil pan was rotting and looking pretty rough, never been offroad, just salt/weather corrosion.

I'm the 2nd owner and don't have a copy of the warranty, but I'm covered until november, anyone tried getting it replaced under the powertrain warranty?

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
That is a bummer. They use so much road salt around here my black jeep turns white. I have to power spray it off as good as I can after every storm including the underneith real good.

Dave

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
It can look as rough as you want, but if it is leaking or about to develop a hole in one of the corners for instance..Oh oh.
If it is accessible and sandable a patch could be applied to stop the upcoming leak.
It would be a good idea to protect from salt with some form of spray paint like Tremclad or similar metal paint should be applied to the pan in Salt regions.
Hopefully then the pan does not rot out as quick.
Dave has the right idea to get under and powerwash after each salt exposure.

mntnbkr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just had to do this on my wifes '02 w/ 114K miles. We live in Michigan, so yeah...the salt *****. I had to replace the trans pan last year too for the same reason.

Salt or not, I've never had this sort of problem with any other vehicle I've ever owned (and I've lived in MI my whole life) so I was pretty disappointed when the Jeep got pin hole leaks in both pans.

tjkj2002 is right too, it'll be expensive if you can't do it yourself, and it's not a job for the faint of heart either. The whole front axle has to come out, and the engine needs to be lifted about 3 inches.

Good luck!

desync0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ohh great that's exactly what I wanted to hear lol, atleast it's not leaking.

Sad part is, it only has 50K on it, km that is.

Guess I'll be using my long weekend to scrape off the loose "paint" and respray what I can reach from underneath.

Thanks guys!

desync0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ohh should I hunt down POR, or would a couple good coats of rustoleum or similar rust paint work fine?

mntnbkr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I hate to be a downer, but I'd be willing to bet that once you start scraping the corrosion off you're going to end up with a leak. In both cases (my trans and oil pan) I was able to push a screwdriver through the corroded area with very little force. So, once you start scraping, you're probably going to go right through. Also, you're not going to be able to get to very much of the pan without taking a lot of parts off.

Ugh...sorry, this is just a bummer.:(

Adam

desync0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Great.

I'm hoping it's "rotting" like they said the ****** pan on my ram was, it was really just the factory coating flaking off, it was solid as a rock when I dropped it to do a filter/fluid change, just needed paint.

mntnbkr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Great.

I'm hoping it's "rotting" like they said the ****** pan on my ram was, it was really just the factory coating flaking off, it was solid as a rock when I dropped it to do a filter/fluid change, just needed paint.

Here's to hoping!!(Cheers)

Isn't the OE oil pan double-walled?

Mine wasn't...but mine's an '02, so I don't know.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Great.

Who ever told you that it was rough and rotting, should have allowed you to look at it while it was on the hoist. I would have said show me what you are talking about. It very well could be just surface rust as the paint is flaked off, and some careful sanding and paint job, your good to go. Those pans are fairly stout.I have now 3 coats of paint on it. No rust on mine, going to stay that way too.:)

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So exactly what has to be done tjkj2002 to replace the oil pan? pull the engine out?

Sounds like a good excuse to install a SFA :D
One of 2 ways(or 3).............

1--The engine needs to be pulled
2--The cradle and whole front suspension needs to be dropped while the engine is supported from above.

Or...........

3--like stated remove the front diff and lift the engine about 3",this tactic is tricky to do and not damage anything.It can be done if you know what your doing.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
By the looks of it it also makes changing the oil filter a breeze as well!:)

Oh mntnbkr tell you wife you only need about $30K in parts, that will get her excited about the project I am sure!:D

Latest posts

Members online