OEM Transmission Skid Plate

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Howdy,

Has anyone installed a 2005+ OEM Mopar transmission skid plate (82210003)for a GAsser to a 2002 - 2004 KJ Gasser. I've read some discussion regarding this but some said it can be done easily by drilling a hole or two, and others have said that the transmission skid for a 2005+ is too short for a 2002 - 2004 KJ. Can this work? Has anyone had the experience our could/would share picts or a detailed how-to?

My transmission is a 5-speed manual with Select-trac transfer case, if that makes any difference!!

Please help!!!

Rob K.

Welcome to JeepKJCountry!

You should be fine ordering the '05 plate for your '02. I'm pretty sure that Tim, who started this thread, has the current '05-'07 skid installed on his '04 (rather than an '02-'04 skid.) No real difference as far as I know.

If you have the engine skid and the transfer case skid installed then your install is relatively easy -
  1. remove the back bolts from the engine skid
  2. loosen the front transfer case skid bolts
  3. slide the tran skid between the xfer case skid and the cross member and bolt in place using the front xfer case skid bolts
  4. drill a 1/2" hole in the cross member under the engine in line with the hole in the trans skid tab and install one of the nutzerts that came with the skid
  5. slide the trans skid between the crossmember and the front diff skid then bolt up the front trans skid/rear engine skid with the same bolts plus the bolt to go into the nutzert you just installed
  6. tighten the front xfer case/rear trans skid bolts
Voila!! You're done.

If you don't have the other skids you'll need to install the nutzerts but again, no big deal. Depending on the routing of the driver's side exhaust pipe you may need to bang the left box rail on the trans skid to make room for the cross pipe. In Tim's pics of his install you can see his '04 has the cross pipe BEHIND the ****** pan. On my '03 the cross pipe is in FRONT of the ****** pan so I had to pound a radius in the skid box rail to give the pipe clearance and prevent rattling.

The entire set of skids is available from JustForJeeps.com. Scroll down and you can view the installation instructions for the transmission skid.

Let us know what you do!

Bob

Last edited: