Skid Plates?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Damotee

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ive just ordered a bunch of skid plates for the Jeep. Are these worth it? Does anyone know how much they weigh? After I placed the order, a mate of mine reckons I wasted my money due to the extra weight - less lift, even poorer fuel economy. Im looking at getting the suspension, transmission and transfer case skids. Also the ARB rear diff cover, but only because I like the way it looks. :) Which skid plates are the most important do you think?

The plates I want are the mopar ones from here: Morris 4x4 Center - SearchMorris 4x4 Center - Results for skid plates kj

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Engine, trans and gas tank seem to take most hits. Transfer case one on mine only has a few nicks.

Your KJ would even use less gas if a rock punches the oil pan and you can't drive it anywhere! :D

krisP

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yep ill take the possible .2 mpg loss over a punctured diff or oil pan or cracked tcase

Damotee

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the weight info. They don't seem too heavy. About 25kgs all up. I don't think that will make much of a difference. My dog weighs 20kgs! :D

Last edited:

CzarKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Now with the JBA ones you are talking some weight. Trans skid is 40+lbs alone.

J33Pfan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ive just ordered a bunch of skid plates for the Jeep. Are these worth it? Does anyone know how much they weigh? After I placed the order, a mate of mine reckons I wasted my money due to the extra weight - less lift, even poorer fuel economy. Im looking at getting the suspension, transmission and transfer case skids. Also the ARB rear diff cover, but only because I like the way it looks. :) Which skid plates are the most important do you think?

The plates I want are the mopar ones from here: Morris 4x4 Center - SearchMorris 4x4 Center - Results for skid plates kj

either you need skid plates or you dont need skid plates!

That is the Question!!!

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Stock ones are light weight
I run a mixture of 4X Guard, Skid Row and Kilby
and MUCH heavier than stock ones are
and no don't care about the weight or maybe 1/10 of a gallon less mileage
Protection is worth it

sota

Full Access Member
Reaction score
getting the full kit from JBA in a couple months.

JasonJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The loss of fuel economy and the weight are nothing in cost compared to replacing even just a fuel tank... let alone an engine because your oil pan has a rock punched through it.

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah simple. Stay on pavement and you need no protection. Have fun and you need protection.

Worried about the itty-bitty difference in fuel economy......get a bicycle........LOL

Dave

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Yeah simple. Stay on pavement and you need no protection. Have fun and you need protection.

Worried about the itty-bitty difference in fuel economy......get a bicycle........LOL

Dave

But been a few times I have needed " protection " even on interstates, like the time a ladder fell off a truck in front of me or that 4 speed transmission ....glad I had full skids on every one of those vehicles

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do the Mopar plates give you the same coverage/protection?

Same coverage but marginal actual protection due to be made out of thinner steel.

My old skidrow skid plates when I was still IFS,which are over twice as thick as OE skid plates.

You must be registered for see images

And yes the last pic of the t-case skid plate the skid plate is bent.

Damotee

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ordered the Mopar plates and the ARB diff cover. I also need to replace the O2 sensors. Will the skid plates obstruct this? Should I aim to replace the sensors before fitting the plates?

CzarKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ordered the Mopar plates and the ARB diff cover. I also need to replace the O2 sensors. Will the skid plates obstruct this? Should I aim to replace the sensors before fitting the plates?

Yes do them first. Especially if you are replacing all 4.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score

Have to have them off but literally take less than 5 minutes to remove the skid anyways

Damotee

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Dave

I live in a remote part of Australia so fuel consumption is always an issue for me. Especially when we go camping etc, its always a good couple hundred kms each way into the middle of nowhere.
That said, id have bigger problems out there without skid plates so im glad i bought them. Been lucky so far to avoid any damage!