Skid Plates?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dhula

Reaction score
Be interested to know where you got them and what you paid.
Pure curiosity as I've just got my Mopar Tx ($120) and fuel tank ($220) skids from our local Jeep dealer and waiting on the Tcase ($95) to come in from the states. As my KJ is a CRD it has the front plate anyway so I didn't have to shell out for that thankfully. The Mopar ones are not light duty but certainly not as heavy duty as some out there but they will suit my needs. I reckon they'll suit your needs also being up the Cape.

The Tx skid does not come with bolts etc so all I did was drill straight thru the Tx X-member and use a pair of old shock mounting bolts+nuts I had in my bodgy box of 'saved for a rainy day' crapola.

Last edited:

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
Maybe someone can answer a question I've always wondered about:

Why do CRDs all come with the front skid plate?

Damotee

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Be interested to know where you got them and what you paid.
Pure curiosity as I've just got my Mopar Tx ($120) and fuel tank ($220) skids from our local Jeep dealer and waiting on the Tcase ($95) to come in from the states. As my KJ is a CRD it has the front plate anyway so I didn't have to shell out for that thankfully. The Mopar ones are not light duty but certainly not as heavy duty as some out there but they will suit my needs. I reckon they'll suit your needs also being up the Cape.

Bought mine from morris4x4 out of the states. Couldn't find any in Oz for a decent price. Morris 4x4 Center - SearchMorris 4x4 Center - Results for skid

dhula

Reaction score
Maybe someone can answer a question I've always wondered about:
Why do CRDs all come with the front skid plate?
Due to size and location of the oil pan etc

I'm not so sure that is the whole answer.
There are a couple of hoses that look to be from the power steering that run under the front of the engine that maybe they thought "I'd be a good idea to protect those" and maybe the weight of the CRD has something to do with it as well, like the extra inertia caused by that heavy lump of metal in the front might cause the front to crash down on stuff more often.

In reality I have no idea, just cool that I didn't have to spring for it

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm not so sure that is the whole answer.
There are a couple of hoses that look to be from the power steering that run under the front of the engine that maybe they thought "I'd be a good idea to protect those" and maybe the weight of the CRD has something to do with it as well, like the extra inertia caused by that heavy lump of metal in the front might cause the front to crash down on stuff more often.

In reality I have no idea, just cool that I didn't have to spring for it

All KJ's with the 45RFE also came with the factory front skid('02 and early '03 KJ's).