OEM Foglight help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

wolverine1020

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My KJ did not come with them but I want them.
The kind that goes in the bottom of the bumper.

My question is:
If I do find a pair, is the wiring already down there?
Someone told me it's pretty much wired for all versions already.

Also a 2nd question:
As I do not know what they look like, what kind of foglight package am I looking for? (Brackets, etc...)

If this is in the wrong spot, my apologies.

Billwill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I also do not have the lamps and have considered fitting some one day.
I believe the wiring is in place but I have not looked; one thing for sure is that you will need to fit some relays and fuses in their respective vacant slots to have a chance of working.
I think as long as the size is correct...6 inches diameter I think...you should be able to fashion some brackets so as to make them height adjustable.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
They sell the kits or used to for them, buy the regular kits from Mopar the ones on Ebay are crap.
I can get you a picture of the mounting , have some laying in the garage, ..not for sale, they are there in case I ever need any:party52:

1 BAD BIRD

Reaction score
WOW I know this thread is OLD :) But I did use the search function lol HELLO I am new to the boards. I just purchased a used 03 LIberty Sport. It had factory fog lights in the holes, but they did not work. I took a closer look and was going to replace the bulbs when I noticed they where hooked using the factory connectors, and still were not working? THEN I noticed that the stalk/multifunction switch did not have the extra detent pull out to turn the fogs on? What the heck? I called a dealer and was told throgh vin look up that my sport did not come with fogs. NOW I am real confused.

First Why are they wired to factory wiring?
Second How do I hook them up? Is the Liberty pre wired and all I need to do is replace the multifunction switch with a fog light model? Any help would be outstanding and much appreciated.

Thanks so much.

Bob S.
03 Liberty Sport.

gtommec

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If your Liberty did not come from the factory with fogs then the wiring is not there, The mopar kit comes with the lights, wiring and multi-function switch. If your fog lights are hooked up to the harnesses then it sounds like at some point someone started to install the mopar fog lights and didn't finish.

Red_KJ_666

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The Factory Fogs hook into the small Harness that also runs the signal lights, It plugs in just behind/below the drivers headlight. The Mopar kit must come with this section of Harness as to give you the outlets for the Fogs, all Liberty's are pre-wired under the dash tho, so The Multi switch probably just replaces the old one and plugs in. Then you add a fuse to the Fog Fuse holder and lights. I wired my HID off road lights into the factory fog wiring so it kicks on the Relay.

gtommec

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The Factory Fogs hook into the small Harness that also runs the signal lights, It plugs in just behind/below the drivers headlight. The Mopar kit must come with this section of Harness as to give you the outlets for the Fogs, all Liberty's are pre-wired under the dash tho, so The Multi switch probably just replaces the old one and plugs in. Then you add a fuse to the Fog Fuse holder and lights.

I am sorry but I have to disagree with you, I have installed 2 sets of Mopar fog lights on 2 different KJs and I had to add the wiring under the dash as well as the inline relays under the hood. There is NO WIRING for the fog lights unless your KJ came from the factory with them. (this is at least true on 2002-2004 models)

here are the instructions from Mopar for the kit:

http://site.justforjeeps.com/guide/82207998.pdf

I wired my HID off road lights into the factory fog wiring so it kicks on the Relay.

The reason you have the relay and wiring is that you have a Limited Edition (going by your profile picture) All Limited Editions came with fog lights standard.

Last edited:

1 BAD BIRD

Reaction score
Ok Sokol. My fogs are indeed hooked fo a factory harness. Now does that mean Ll I need is a new multi switch and relay? The molar kit has everything but I don't wanna pay for more than I need. Any suggestions?

JeepKj03

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you have the full wiring I would say just go to a junk yard and see if you can find a used multifunction switch. If you strike out there you can suck it up and buy a new multifunction switch or you can take another route and wire in a switch to turn on the fog lights every time you turn your lights on. The option is up to you.

JeepKj03

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Since you said that they did not come stock from the factory with fog lights, they are not part of the normal wiring harness. I can take a quote from one of my favorite movies. "If you don’t know where to start go back to the beginning". Follow where you know your harness is at the lights and start tracing from there. From there you should find the relay and fuse along with the lead wire that goes into the cab for your switch and also the power lead to the battery.

1 BAD BIRD

Reaction score
UPDATE.

Dealer installwd new switch fior free. Nice of them for sure. Now i have a question or two referring rhe fog light operation compared to my old 04 GC. Now my fogs ONLY come on when the headlights are on or in the full front position. They do not come on with the driving lights at all. My GC you pulled the switch out and had fog lights with the running lights and pushed it in and had running lights only. Then turn it forward the whole way and have everything. Is that how the liberty is as well? Assuming so. And if so what is the problem.? I pull the switch out and nothing comes on but running lights , no fogs? Any ideas or suggestions?

Thank you,
Bob s

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Ya the headlights have to be on before you pull on the fogs.
If you switch to high beam the fogs turn off until you lower the high beam.
There is mod under KJ "How To" to make high's and fog's on at same time.

I run brighter & whiter PIAA 9007 bulbs in headlights and used brighter bulbs for the fog's.
I did this tab mod using 9005ST silver star (F-150 high beam bulb) 40 watts brighter & whiter than stock, never use high beams hardly anymore.
http://www.jeepprojects.com/content.php?article.43
40666[/ATTACH]"]
You must be registered for see images attach

To cut the small plastic tab off on the 9005ST I heated on propane torch exacto knife hot, two cuts ..done.

Attachments

• PIAALowBeamsWithFOGMOD.jpg
    PIAALowBeamsWithFOGMOD.jpg
    175 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

gtommec

Full Access Member
Reaction score
UPDATE.

Dealer installwd new switch fior free. Nice of them for sure. Now i have a question or two referring rhe fog light operation compared to my old 04 GC. Now my fogs ONLY come on when the headlights are on or in the full front position. They do not come on with the driving lights at all. My GC you pulled the switch out and had fog lights with the running lights and pushed it in and had running lights only. Then turn it forward the whole way and have everything. Is that how the liberty is as well? Assuming so. And if so what is the problem.? I pull the switch out and nothing comes on but running lights , no fogs? Any ideas or suggestions?

Thank you,
Bob s

The fog lights should work with just the parking lights on or with the headlights on. If you turn the headlight switch one click (parking lights) and pull the end out the fog lights should come on. The same thing should happen if you turn the headlight switch 2 clicks (headlights) and pull the end out. I had one of my switches defective from Mopar and the foglights would come on with the headlights only (no matter where the foglight switch was) but the fogs wouldn't come on with just the parking lights. I had the dealer I bought the kit from warranty the switch out and the new one worked fine. (the dealer told me that it was a common issue with the defective switches)

*also note the foglights will only come on with either the parking lights or the LOW BEAM headlights, as it is illegal for them to come on with the High beams in the US.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
gto is correct will work or should with parking or low beam headlights
or does in the good ole' U.S.A.!!!!

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Well that made me wonder why cant I pull on fog's with park lights....
I had lights on pulled out the switch for fogs, and used contact cleaner first then sprayed WD-40 down there while pulling fog on/off numerous times, went back to parking lights..
and now the fog's come on in w/parking lights.
Something must have been stuck in there....works smooth now!