Not enough homework done. Question about OME + Skyjacker parts

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

matthewp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Question about OME + Skyjacker parts PROBLEM FIXED.... Just throw money at it!

OK, first thing: I want to appologize for not quite doing my homework (I did do a lot of searching on the threads, but obviously not enough).
Second: I want to thank Rev. Mudd and the other folks for the advice in the Random Thoughts screw up for pointing out my mis-calculation.
Third: I want to see if I can limit the end cost ($) of my inattentiveness.

Here go a couple of questions: I bought the Skyjacker 2 1/2" lift from JBA but missed the fact the front Skyjacker front springs are not really any better than the original equipment. My fix is to buy OME 790s (I am planning on getting an ARB bumper down the line anyway, hence the 790s) and just install them now. Here's the question:

1a) Can I just use the OMEs with the Skyjacker strut and/or assembly I already have? (I'm trying NOT to have to swallow an extra $300 for the new struts).

1b) If so, is it just a case of switching springs (the Skyjackers came fully assembled already).

2) Now you guys have me worried about the Skyjacker rear springs and shocks. Are they OK or can I expect them to fail too?

Honestly, I would like to not completely "scrap" a brand new Skyjacker lift still sitting in the box, but I do want to do this right the first time. I also have bought JBA UCAs, Boiler Top Plates, Sway Bar Dis-connects, Brake line extenders, an extra set of Rear Upper Isolators, Teraflex Front Bumpstops, and the set-up for "2 puck" rear bumpstops. I know I can still use them!

Last edited:

Ry' N Jen

Banned
Reaction score
Slightly North of the 49° th. Parallel... In HongC
I'd sell the coil springs and replace them with Old Man Emu.

Having said that, I should of bought OME 790 CRD coil springs myself
10 months ago when I bought the Frankenlift...
I'm finding the front OME 927 H/D getting a little soft for my liking already!

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Is it installed yet? If not return and buy OME
Skyjacker uses a different type shock in the front which makes it hard to swap over , can be done but if you can return it would be better

Sorry all to make you do extra work

Last edited:

matthewp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry all to make you do extra work

Not a problem at all. I'll just have to take a look at my situation and figure out a plan of attack (I have no real idea when I'm going to get an ARB Bumper. It may actually be a year or longer)!

Thanks everyone for the info.

matthewp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OK, after a string of emails with Marlin (and, yes, I asked about the prematurely failing front springs), he is going to take a return on my Skyjacker front lift, and I'm going to pull the trigger on the Adjust-a-Strut front lift.

He did say he has not heard anything about failing front springs but has had issues with the struts blowing seals. he does not recommend the Skyjacker front lift for an application with an aftermarket bumper.

because I emailed him with the potential issue (and am buying the Adjust-a-Strut, I'm sure), he is going to waive the re-stocking fee.

I do have to definitely give Marlin kudos for standing up and admitting there are issues with the product aand offering a return (or an upgrade discount if I had already mounted the SJ kit). he was quick on returning my emails and courteous through the whole process.

Marlin has definitely earned my future business!

Boiler

Reaction score
Very nice, not only does Marlon offer top quality service, but apparently he's a hell of a salesman!

You went from not wanting to buy new struts to getting adjust-a-struts! (rotflmao)

Can't wait to see it lifted.

Oh also, I'd get that ARB on there...going to be really really stiff with no weight + 790's.

matthewp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Very nice, not only does Marlon offer top quality service, but apparently he's a hell of a salesman!

You went from not wanting to buy new struts to getting adjust-a-struts! (rotflmao)

Can't wait to see it lifted.

Oh also, I'd get that ARB on there...going to be really really stiff with no weight + 790's.

Yes, I do have to say Marlin is a great salesman. Even though, my plan from the beginning was to do a suspension lift once, the right way. With Marlin's honesty about the Skyjackers, combined with the couple of folks who've installed and now live with the Adjust-a-Strut (and seem happy), the Adjust-A-Struts seem the quality way to go (and with a little BSing on my own part, the wife had no issues with the upgrade!:D).

And, thanks for the recommendation to hurry up and get the bumper. Between you and Tom, I'm going to be divorced and poor, but sleeping in one hell of a Jeep!lol3.gif

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score

Ah...he is not getting OME 790s , getting the adjust a struts
Have you rode in one yet with 790s by the way ? Just curious;)

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OK, after a string of emails with Marlin (and, yes, I asked about the prematurely failing front springs), he is going to take a return on my Skyjacker front lift, and I'm going to pull the trigger on the Adjust-a-Strut front lift.

He did say he has not heard anything about failing front springs but has had issues with the struts blowing seals. he does not recommend the Skyjacker front lift for an application with an aftermarket bumper.

because I emailed him with the potential issue (and am buying the Adjust-a-Strut, I'm sure), he is going to waive the re-stocking fee.

I do have to definitely give Marlin kudos for standing up and admitting there are issues with the product aand offering a return (or an upgrade discount if I had already mounted the SJ kit). he was quick on returning my emails and courteous through the whole process.

Marlin has definitely earned my future business!
The early SkyJacker coils for the KJ(1st 6 months of production in '04 only) are the non-softride coils and have a higher rating then OME HD coils.I had the non-soft ride coils and they held up my ARB with winch with zero issues for 50,000miles with zero sag.Granted the shocks did suck and I modified the coils to use Rancho's.The newer SkyJacker coils are the soft ride coils that have the same rating as the OEM coils.The reason Skyjacker reduced there spring rates was the early lifts were netting 3.75" of lift when advertised as 2.5" and taking out UCA's left and right from the high lift #'s.

Latest posts

Members online