No start when at operating temp and p0299 (possibly unrelated)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Crrrrrrd

Reaction score
I will try to explain my situation as best as I can, i have a 05 CRD that will coldstart just fine but after it warms up and gets turned off it will crank and not start. 2 common recommendations were a lift pump (already in car) and a crank sensor which I installed and had no luck. Not sure if it’s related but I also have a p0299 underboost code that randomly appears and disappears as it pleases (cleaned MAP) and it hasent come back yet but I also haven’t been driving it much because of the starting issue. Any suggestions?

Hill160881

Reaction score
I would be curious to see your fuel pressure while cranking.
Try a very small amount of starting fluid. I mean small enough to make it kick not start and run. This will tell you if it’s fuel related or not. If it kicks or starts you are not getting fuel.

Crrrrrrd

Reaction score
I’ll try using something to start but I at the very least have pressure to the filter head

Crrrrrrd

Reaction score
I would be curious to see your fuel pressure while cranking.
Try a very small amount of starting fluid. I mean small enough to make it kick not start and run. This will tell you if it’s fuel related or not. If it kicks or starts you are not getting fuel.
Tried starting fluid and it not only started the car but it kept running too

Crrrrrrd

Reaction score
Tried starting fluid and it not only started the car but it kept running too. Found potiental leak at injector 4 near the rail sensor.

Attachments

• 8C91D516-95EA-4DFB-B5A8-92849D6BC45B.jpeg
    8C91D516-95EA-4DFB-B5A8-92849D6BC45B.jpeg
    407.1 KB · Views: 11
  • 7EA204FE-941F-445B-953B-ADB3C6DC12F1.jpeg
    7EA204FE-941F-445B-953B-ADB3C6DC12F1.jpeg
    269.8 KB · Views: 11
  • 8691A736-B268-4546-8D40-82BBC7282E51.jpeg
    8691A736-B268-4546-8D40-82BBC7282E51.jpeg
    257.1 KB · Views: 11

KJowner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like low rail pressure then, you need to check injector leak off and the rail regulator.

KJowner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Disconnect the spillback hoses from the injectors and use hoses to feed the leakage into 4 pots, block the other sides of the tee lines with screws, start the engine and run for a minute or two, watching the levels in the pots. Switch off and compare the levels, if one or more are drastically different then you have found the leakage. The pressure relief on the rail is at the back, it also feeds into the spillback, un plug it, on cranking there should be no leakage from it, don't run the engine with it unplugged.
You must be registered for see images attach

If this all checks out get a garage to measure rail pressure, could be a fault with the high pressure pump or its pressure controller.
You also need to look at the leak on the injector line, be careful as the rail runs at a maximum pressure of 1600 Bar, don't be tempted to nip it up when it's running.

Crrrrrrd

Reaction score
I’m assuming you’re talking about the line that run along the top of all the injectors. Also what are the tee lines that I should plug with screws.

KJowner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, that's them. They are linked together so you need to plug the links and run hose off the other side to the measuring pots. If you look on YouTube you will see this being done, probably not on a jeep but the principle is the same.

Crrrrrrd

Reaction score
Yes, that's them. They are linked together so you need to plug the links and run hose off the other side to the measuring pots. If you look on YouTube you will see this being done, probably not on a jeep but the principle is the same.
Thanks, do you also have any advice on tightening the nut to injector 4, I’ve only been able to get half a turn off because of the firewall. The stubby doesent have enough torque to tighten and the regular won’t fit on the way the nut is currently turned.

CRD4Liberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Running a diesel is relatively simple, they need air, fuel, and the heat of compression. Sounds like you had all that because you can start it cold, temperature of the engine should not be relevant for these simple needs, a pump pumps, injectors inject, as long as the pump is working you always have fuel return on a diesel, they use excess fuel to cool the injector tips in the combustion chamber, fuel is always running through the injectors, it injects fuel at very high pressures into the combustion chamber when told to do so, no diesel I know uses all the fuel supplied at any time. My guess is you have a control problem somewhere that isn't allowing your piezo fired injectors to inject fuel when warm.

Crrrrrrd

Reaction score
Running a diesel is relatively simple, they need air, fuel, and the heat of compression. Sounds like you had all that because you can start it cold, temperature of the engine should not be relevant for these simple needs, a pumps pump, injectors inject, as long as the pump is working you always have fuel return on a diesel, they use excess fuel to cool the injector tips in the combustion chamber, no diesel I know uses all the fuel supplied at any time. My guess is you have a control problem somewhere that isn't allowing your piezo fired injectors to inject fuel when warm.
I’ve been tinkering with it a little and have noticed a quirk. It’ll coldstart and then once turned off, not start without starting fluid. It runs fine after this and if I turn it off again, it’ll start without starting fluid.