No one talks about Skyjacker?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tumanator

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm looking into lift kits, I've decided on the 2.5", and that's about it. I just bought this vehicle so I'm basically broke, also this isn't really an off road rig. It's going to be my all round vehicle, I live in MT and drive in snow regardless of on or off road so i need a better fit tire than stock, hence the reason for the lift. (I'm looking heavily into a 235/85R16 A/T cooper or similar)
I don't know if I should go for a Daystar and go cheap plus possibly do it myself, or go with a skyjacker system, or OME for around 800 plus the install costs.
I've also heard about CV joints going bad as a result, improper or cheap installations causing problems with front end wear and alignment. So basically I'm stumped and about to just go buy some stock A/T tires.
Spacer vs Suspension?
Price vs Quality?
Would it even do me any good or do i just go get some good tires for stock?

jsc7002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
spacer, OME HD coils, its the best, noone talks much about skyjacker b/c they only have one spring rating on their coils and it not high enough for a bumper or a winch so most will get OME and its tried and true

for tires tire rack is good and treadwright.com is where I got my 245/75 tires and I love them

tumanator

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The OME kit is just expensive, i don't know if i can pull together the money for it, and does anyone have a good place to buy one from?

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Shop around, there are a few places that sale OME. Boulder Bars(all j's) is one of them.

You do know that a 235/85/16 tire is 32" tall, right? If youre already broke thats not going to help the mpg and they will rub like crazy upfront(will need trimming) and you will need extended bumpstops in the rear for sure.

SkyJacker coils are too soft and Ive heard the front shocks let the suspension droop to far which lets the Upper balljoint hit the spring. Not sure if thats true or not since i dont use Sky Jacker suspensions.

Nothing wrong with the daystar lift..

tumanator

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the info, like i said i haven't decided on the tire size, though your info on the skyjacker is exactly what I'm looking for. I like the 235/85 because their tall and narrow (better for digging in snow) though i do like the specs behind a 245/75 or somewhere in there too. I'll decide that after i pay for the lift if i do get one, otherwise it'll be the stock size of 235/75. I'll talk to a couple local places that deal in lift's, I'll try to get a quote from one of them first, seems nothing is cheap these days, the old 80's Toyota's were much easier to figure out than this.

jsc7002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
these are the tires Im currently using and I like tem alot and have had no problems with them and they are great for mud or snow they have good grip and arent expensive

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You need to find a SkyJacker lift from the first 6 months of production,they had the HD coils.I've been running them for over 45,000miles and 1500lbs extra weight with zero problems.

Overall the best and long lasting lift would be the OME/Rancho lift.

tumanator

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OK i decided against the skyjacker for sure, i just don't think their worth the money for one, and the "cushy" ride is pointless too. Here's the problem, local shop that would do the lift quoted me $1024 bucks for a full 2.5" lift, does include rear coils, shocks, front struts, all around bumpstops ect. It's the full Rusty's kit with Rancho coils I believe. That price also includes the alignment, so it really doesn't seem like that bad of price..... but for me right now i just can't do it.

I should add this isn't the Rusty's "Spacer" kit, there isn't a spacer in the kit. It's a little softer than the OME, but I don't have the ARB Bumber or winch to require the heavy OME shocks or coils, the Rusty's would be plenty good for what i want.

Last edited:

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
OME is just a little more money than a crustys but a WHOLE lot better down the road, rustys will sag over time, OMEs will not much. Not hard to install get some people together and have a lift party, 3 or 4 hours is all it takes

tumanator

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Love to have a "lift party" unfortunately I don't have the tools to compress the coils or the struts, nor do I have the experience. And I don't know anyone near by that would know how or have the tools. Guess that's a downfall of living in a state with less people that most cities and a greater size that most countries.

tumanator

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Lol, thanks for the offer, I'll just have to start "padding" a lift kit savings account

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
save up and do it right the first time, you will be so much happier that you did later down the road I promise. I have installed two Rustys lifts nothing wrong with them but they are the same spring rate as stock, OMEs ride great, little to no sagging, just an all around great lift

gitira6

Reaction score
That's because you are biased and hijack threads on here and you know where else. Nobody has the nerve to bring it to your face. You favor the most expensive lifts, or maybe not to you, name and image is everything. How can you work on a jeep?

Last edited by a moderator:

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
That's because you are biased and hijack threads on here and you know where else. Nobody has the nerve to bring it to your face. You favor the most expensive lifts, or maybe not to you, name and image is everything. How can you work on a jeep?

Bring it on there little one I am not biased at all, I just like to do things right the first time and be done with it, OME IS NOT THE MOST EXPENSIVE, :)SAME BASIC PRICE AS RUSTYS but better, name and image mean nothing to me at all but if a certain name/product is better I will share my experiences with all, if you knew me instead slamming me you would know that, but then you like to yell instead of reading or understanding anything.

I hijack threads:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:...... its an open forum , how can you hijack threads on an open forum????? and when someone asks a question anyone can answer even people like you :eek::D:D:D:D:D:D:D so I have the right to voice my opinion. After several years of playing with 4 Wheel drives I do have an opinion of what works and what does not. Trust me I have bought cheap before and paid for it in the long run, so just trying to help others from making the same mistake maybe. I have installed other lift kits and they do OK, but they are not the end all product. I could go on but I am sure you are not going to read this anyways as you are one who only likes to argue no matter what.

OK now I am done,
so back to our book of the month club,
this week we will all read and discuss
"Idiots Guide to Lifting a Jeep Liberty";)

Rev.T

Last edited by a moderator:

J-Thompson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
to the OP
do it right the first time
stay away from the Rustys coils
I know of 1 KJ with the locally and it has sagged real bad
my wife has OME med coils on her KJ with 245/75's
the other KJ has the Rustys coils with 30 X9.5's
that means that we are +1.75" on suspension as per OME's rating and +almost 2" on tire as per good years rating
or +3.75 over stock
He has +2.5" on suspension and +1" on tires or 3.5" over stock
the day we put ours on we we were 2-2.25" over stock and when it settled we were at 2" over stock add the 2" of tire and we were at 4" over stock
the day we put his on he was 2.75" maybe over stock added the tires and he was at
3.75" over stock
after 3 years and 30K on both we are still at 4" over stock
he is at 2.5" maybe
yes with OME we are over an inch and a half taller than he is
yet his lift was rated taller than ours
you figure out why

KJ04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Don't scrimp on quality!... A cheap lift will just end up costing you more time and money in the long run even if you don't wheel it at all. Front OME 927 coils and rear OME 948 coils should last for the life of your KJ. Rancho front 17505 are a H.D. with lifetime warranty and for the rear you can go Rancho 17004, or as I chose, Gaberial for a Dodge Durango from Auto Zone, which were half the price of the 17004's and still had a limited lifetime warranty. Add some cheap extended bump stops front and rear and you will have a quality suspension that will last you far into the future.

Shop around and research for the best prices, buy parts separate and save over advertized kits.
Check KJ forums for used and sometimes new parts, for lots less when people strip down their mods to trade in or sell their KJ's. Deals are out there, you just have to look for them!

Check over at LOST KJ's to get a lift party together, I know we have members in Montana.

DO IT RIGHT THE FIRST TIME..... NUFF SAID!