no lift but want bigger tires?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

coloradored

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well I'm new to the KJ's but not to jeeps, I just got my self a 04 kj and i just wanted to know what people have had good luck with in tire sizes with out lifting it. i know about the pinch weld so that will not be any problem. oh and i have the stock 16 steel wheels.

I think that the largest tires from the factory were the 235/70/16 but i don't really know that for a fact, and so i was hoping that the 235/85/16 would fit with that pinch weld flattened.

Thanks

jeepkj02

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The biggest you can fit is a 245/70 w/o any lift.

With a lift the biggest you can is a 265/75 (32") with the pinch weld pounded down.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The biggest you can fit is a 245/70 w/o any lift.

With a lift the biggest you can is a 265/75 (32") with the pinch weld pounded down.
235/85's or 265/75's will need alot more then pounding the pinchweld down and a lift(3"+ min lift).

But 245/70's is the largest you can go without a lift,and you may or may not still have rubbing issues,depends on the type of tires used.

coloradored

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thanks that helps,
does any one know about the speedometer being off after that (245/70/16) or will it be ok?

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've got 245/75/16's on Moabs on a pre-lowered with no lift. Slight rub, I will eventually pound down the pinch welds.
Yep you can get away with the 245/75's if you have a pre-lowered KJ which sits 3/4" higher then the lowered KJ's.I ran that size for awhile before my lift also,only rubbed on the foglamp doors at full lock in reverse.

coloradored

Full Access Member
Reaction score
does any one have a pix of there jeep with 245/70/16 with no lift that they can put up?

Jeepman56

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here is my '07 with 245/70 General Grabber AT2

You must be registered for see images

coloradored

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thanks
did you loss much power by going up to that size? and how is the speedometer is it still reading correctly?

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
thanks
did you loss much power by going up to that size? and how is the speedometer is it still reading correctly?

It reads pessimistic... you're actually going faster than it will read. I believe the dealer can reprogram the computer... it may be about 1-4 MPH off, depending on speed.

No power loss... since the tires are wider you may lose about half a MPG (Some people lose more, some don't lose any, depends on driving style). That's just what I've observed with the 245/70R16 size.

But on a stock KJ that size looks great! (But it is a tight fit...)

Andynator

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you are only wanting a little increase in height WITHOUT a lift, put on a set of 225/75/16's. It's the stock tire size on the Sport models, and slightly taller than the 235/70's. By slightly taller, I mean like between 1/4" to 1/2". The 235/70's were OEM with the off-road package.

Andy

coloradored

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thanks for all the info i think ill end up with the 245/70/16 but not quite yet, still need to pay off the jeep. lol

nmadd118

Full Access Member
Reaction score
jeepman do you have a side view of the kj with the 245/70R16's?

KeswickDave

Gold Moderator
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
245/70-16 Revos on here, no lift... very slight rubbing at the front inner fenderwell at full lock but nothing I'm worried about.

The speedometer is only out slightly, reads maybe 2-3 mph low according to my GPS.

And yes, I cheated and posted my photoshopped pic with the painted rims and bedliner'd flares. Hopefully I'll get around to that soon :)

Dave

06Liberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
my wife's KJ with 245/70R16's..no rubbing, even flexed.

You must be registered for see images attach

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
Dave, you're good with Photoshop.

I like the flares, but don't like the wheels... never been a real fan of black wheels on Jeeps.

KeswickDave

Gold Moderator
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks Marlon... I wasn't either at first but it's growing on me. I tried it fully painted out and didn't like it, but I like it with the center caps left silver.

Staying on topic, I think the width of the 245's really makes a difference from a front/rear viewpoint as well, looks more agressive.

Jeepman56

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I really like the more aggressive look of the Grabbers in the 245/70 size. Here are some pics I dug up really quickly.

Without the rack on yet:

A few months ago:

coloradored

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so i finely got my new liberty out in some dirt and on some county roads and could not stand how sloppy the 215s were compared to my old jeep with its 31in tires. so i really cant wait tell i can get those 245/70/16. so if any one is looking for some very new Goodyear tires?

Last edited:

ciberbosco

Reaction score
I am running on 245/65/17 Firestone Destination A/Ts on 17" Jeep chrome clad Oasis wheels. No rubbing to speak of, and they completely change the look of the vehicle. Not to mention, I enjoy the additional traction and stability of a wider tire...especially in inclement weather. Stock, the tires would chirp when the turbo spooled up and, in the rain traction control came on all the time...not anymore! drive.gif