no KJ yet? shame on me!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

l0s3r421

Reaction score
Hi all.

I know, i know, i don't have a KJ yet.

right now i have a 2008 mazda mazdaspeed3, which is an absolutely fantastic car... BUT it's not for me. I've decided i'm growing up(i'm 28 now for poops sake!) and i'm getting ready to start a family, so it's time for something with a little less power but can do so so so much more. when the KJ first came out my mom had one and she absolutely loved it(as did i). it was her replacement for her 5.9 GC ltd.

anyway, the catalyst for this decision was constantly getting stuck at my office since it floods so often here in houston. my mazda can pass maybe 3" of water(ok more, but you get the idea). i also really miss camping and offroading and hunting and all the cool things you can do with a vehicle designed to run over stuff. i haven't had a vehicular adventure since i had my 1985 chevy K5 blazer. plus, i play a LOT of guitar, and really the main thing keeping me out of a band right now is an inability to transport my equipment to a jam session.

right now i'm on the hunt for that "perfect" KJ. i've found a few that interest me but nothing absolutely mindblowing, although there's a 07 sport locally that i want to take a look at since it's a 6 speed.

thanks for the forum. i'll be spending a lot of time lurking and getting the feel of things here, as well as doing as much research as my poor OCD brain can handle.

Last edited:

liberty84

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Welcome
I know what you mean with the flooding issues I used to have a 97 eclipse real low with a body kit, , lockwood and clinton streets its a river when it raing, I'm from houston too, I live in humble thou, but yea the libby is great when the waters are high here in houston

ThunderbirdJunkie

Bronze Supporter
Reaction score
Here is what your shopping list's options should include:
Patriot Blue (or Midnight blue, depending on year) paint
Sport with steel wheels
Snorkel

Those are the important things. Everything else is incidental:D

Just FYI...lots of people, especially those with manual transmissions, have not been fans of the ESP/TCS that comes on the 06-7 KJs. If ThunderbirdJunkie were to buy another KJ, it would be an '05 6 speed Patriot Blue Renegade or Sport.

2005-7 came with 6 speeds for manual transmissions (the NSG370), the 2002-04 came with a 5 speed (NV3500 ITBJRC), 2002-early 2003 models with automatics came with the stronger 45RFE transmission (and 2005-6s came with another version of the trans when equipped with the CRD engine option), the 2003+ Liberty has the 42RLE transmission which, while not BAD, you definitely don't want to overwork it too much (ie-towing) and want to keep up with your fluid maintenance.

2002s came with drum rear brakes, on some low-use/low mile 2003-up models, you will find an issue with sticky rear calipers. ThunderbirdJunkie is pretty certain that this is like the issue with 1989-2004 W-body GM cars, where they become sticky with lack of parking brake use.

At any rate...that is all. Welcome to the forum, and trade ThunderbirdJunkie your Mazdaspeed 3 for his KJ!

Txseaaggie

Reaction score
Welcome
I know what you mean with the flooding issues I used to have a 97 eclipse real low with a body kit, , lockwood and clinton streets its a river when it raing, I'm from houston too, I live in humble thou, but yea the libby is great when the waters are high here in houston

x2 and good for moving trees limbs and high water from Ike :rolleyes:
hard to believe its been a year

Good luck finding a KJ. There plenty of ppl here that know just bout anything you could ask, like Thunderbirdjunkie ^^^ for instance. Ask away and post up what you find

liberty84

Full Access Member
Reaction score
x2 and good for moving trees limbs and high water from Ike :rolleyes:
hard to believe its been a year

Good luck finding a KJ. There plenty of ppl here that know just bout anything you could ask, like Thunderbirdjunkie ^^^ for instance. Ask away and post up what you find

o yea, i allready have a KJ
You must be registered for see images attach

and i love it specially after the lift and tires, look around man and make sure your buying the one you want.

After having a KJ driving around houston is so more confortable, and i just dont have to worry to watch where im going,......just DRIVE!!!:p