KJ in Africa

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Kevin.G

Reaction score
Hi All. By way of an introduction, I live in South Africa (originally born and raised in Zimbabwe), and the very proud owner of a 2005 Jeep Liberty KJ 3.7Lt V6 automatic 4x4 which is marketed over here as a Renegade.

I've had her since 70,000km and now have 170,000km on the odo and still going strong. She's almost stock standard with an Old Man EMU suspension kit fitted to cope with all the offroad overlanding my wife and I do, towing a camper trailer. We have traveled many thousands of km with her through (mostly) Southern sub Sahara Africa, and I would not change her for anything.

Deb'nKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
somewhere between London & Zunny Deb'n (England)
If Kevin's survived 100,000k in a KJ, & it's survived that long in his care, I can't see he'll have much use for this (or any other related) forum 0 but his experience could be invaluable to others.

So, welcome - & who knows, some of that obvious enthusiasm (& apparent affection) might even rub off on me.

Kevin.G

Reaction score
The secret to a successful relationship with a KJ?

TLC. Firstly, If there is even a hint of anything going sideways - fix it, don't delay. Secondly, NEVER use inferior or "cheap" parts - this will single-handedly be the undoing of a sound relationship with your KJ.

After taking her across some unforgiving terrain in Namibia, towing a heavy trailer, the rear upper control arm bushes are on their way out. So next week we're off to Cape Town to have them replaced.

Billwill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the Forum.....best Forum ever for KJ Owners....I have a 2002 CRD which is the best vehicle I have ever owned but it is getting a bit tired now!

Only problem is that Jeep Worldwide no longer support the KJs as regards supplying Spares or repairing the vehicle! :mad:

It is difficult and expensive to have parts sent to South Africa and then having to find a decent Shop to do the repairs!

I need to replace the Crankshaft Rear Oil Seal on my Jeep as well as the Clutch and Shock absorbers...I have improved the oil leak with the use of Wynns Red Stop Leak additive and non OEM Clutches and Shocks are easy to get....been there done that a few times... so I may have them replaced soon!:rolleyes:

KJowner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't know if the Autodoc website will deliver to Africa, they cover all of Europe and are quite cheap, might be worth a look.

Deb'nKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
somewhere between London & Zunny Deb'n (England)
Don't understand why shipping parts to Africa should be difficult, most UK & European parts places ship worldwide, as does RockAuto - but could be expensive.

I think India might be worth a look, right side of the equator, cheap, often with free shipping. Try vicky.com

Mike Hitschmann

Reaction score
Hi All. By way of an introduction, I live in South Africa (originally born and raised in Zimbabwe), and the very proud owner of a 2005 Jeep Liberty KJ 3.7Lt V6 automatic 4x4 which is marketed over here as a Renegade.

I've had her since 70,000km and now have 170,000km on the odo and still going strong. She's almost stock standard with an Old Man EMU suspension kit fitted to cope with all the offroad overlanding my wife and I do, towing a camper trailer. We have traveled many thousands of km with her through (mostly) Southern sub Sahara Africa, and I would not change her for anything.
Hi, welcome to the forum - we live in Zimbabwe and we also own a 2005 Jeep Liberty (Cherokee for us) 3.7l V6 which we imported used from Japan. She has under 90,000kms on the clock and we travel around Zimbabwe extensively with her. I recently fitted a 2.5" inch lift kit all round (in front above the front struts and below on the rear springs) which has given us much needed ground clearance that was lacking. We recently took her on a trip to Mana Pools and apart from blowing both her original front shocks (to be expected on the terrible road conditions) she performed outstandingly. We want to fit the Old Man Emu lifted suspension all round - perhaps you could point me in the right direction if the kit is available in SA? Keep well and safe travels!

Attachments

Kevin.G

Reaction score
Hi Mike, I have had the full Old Man Emu suspension kit fitted in SA. The best investment made so far on the Jeep, well worth the money spent. Mega 4x4 in SA are agents and they import them directly and do the installation. I think Pretoria is your closest, and it is worth taking the trip down from Zim for them to do it. The total cost of my installation was R32k, took 3 months to import the kit from Australia, and took a Daty to install complete with wheel alignment.

Both my wife and I are born and raised in Zim, now living in SA, and I am only too aware of the unique workings of technical matters there. If I can assist in any way please do not hesitate to shout.

Mike Hitschmann

Reaction score
Hi Mike, I have had the full Old Man Emu suspension kit fitted in SA. The best investment made so far on the Jeep, well worth the money spent. Mega 4x4 in SA are agents and they import them directly and do the installation. I think Pretoria is your closest, and it is worth taking the trip down from Zim for them to do it. The total cost of my installation was R32k, took 3 months to import the kit from Australia, and took a Daty to install complete with wheel alignment.

Both my wife and I are born and raised in Zim, now living in SA, and I am only too aware of the unique workings of technical matters there. If I can assist in any way please do not hesitate to shout.
Hi Kevin,

Many thanks for the tip - will keep in touch.

Reaction score
The secret to a successful relationship with a KJ?

TLC. Firstly, If there is even a hint of anything going sideways - fix it, don't delay. Secondly, NEVER use inferior or "cheap" parts - this will single-handedly be the undoing of a sound relationship with your KJ.
This!
302,000 miles /482,000km on 05 KJ 3.7 4x4 here and going strong.

nbas

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When you lift it with the OME lift kit, it would be best to regear to 4.10 (from 3.73). You can use used ring & pinion gears from the 2.4l gas engine Liberties if you want to save money. Believe me, it is worth it!

Kevin.G

Reaction score
I appreciate the tip. That said, I have replaced the rear upper control arm with new bushes and ball joint - huge improvement in stability, but diff noise still there, so perhaps now is the right time for the re-gear exercise.

nbas

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just for the record, here in Greece I was not able to find the front diff Spicer ring & pinion and it was very expensive to ship it (and pay customs) from US. So I found used gears from a 2.4l.
As for the rear I've got new gears from Whitelk, an Italian company with very good reputation on gears. Check them as an option, it may be easier to get them than importing from US. So far, I am very happy and have no issues.
I wish you enjoy many trips with it!

Kevin.G

Reaction score
When you lift it with the OME lift kit, it would be best to regear to 4.10 (from 3.73). You can use used ring & pinion gears from the 2.4l gas engine Liberties if you want to save money. Believe me, it is worth it!
So just as a matter of interest, is your fuel consumption on the 3.7 effected in any way with the new gearing? Petrol in this part of the world is R25/Lt which is about US$5/gal.

nbas

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The fuel consumption dropped a little when I regeared to 4.10. The most important think is that with 245/75R16 MT tyres, the Jeep could not hold the OD even in the slightest ascent. Now, with 4.10 gearing the Jeep behaves as it did without tyres/lift etc.

Kevin.G

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply, I run 245/70 16's primarily due to the accuracy of the speedo reading vs GPS speed. I suppose it is only slightly higher revs after the change. Once again, as a matter of interest, what revs do you run ith the new gearing at 100kph or 60 Mph?