newbie question about isos and spring rings

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CactusJacked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The 1.5" lift claim is pretty much on the money.....for the early 2002 pre-drop models. So they're not 100% lying. :gr_grin:

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Yes for the ones built before April 12,2002 , you'd be going from 19.75 to 21.50.

dude1116

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would love to see what your front coil over looks like without iso's on it
I cannot imagine how it would be held together without them so please take some pictures whenever you get the chance

This. I just don't see how it would work.

Are you saying the shop took the insulators off? Even on the back? That doesn't make any sense. The front...maybe if they did away with the old coilover assembly. The old assembly should have had insulators that you could have used.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
This. I just don't see how it would work.

Are you saying the shop took the insulators off? Even on the back? That doesn't make any sense. The front...maybe if they did away with the old coilover assembly. The old assembly should have had insulators that you could have used.

Well it wouldn't work very good would it?:happy175:
We need some pictures

JasonJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What a mess.

Yes, OME 927's will lift you 2.5", or roughly 63.5mm. DESPITE the catalog and promotional materials stating 1.5". It is what it is, and it's fairly well known.

What, do the inspection police run around with tape measures and a list of stock suspension heights for all the vehicles in Israel? I'd think with the sandy conditions outside of the urban areas, and the near desert like environment in that part of the world, lifted and off-road capable 4x4's would be commonplace and not heavily taxed and inspected as you indicated. That's insanity.

Also, it should be embarrassing for the SHOP when you take it back... I'd start off polite, but literally ask what the Hell they thought they were doing. Specialize in Wranglers, TJ, CJ or not... these are basic MacPherson struts in front... been around since the late 1970s... nothing a competent mechanic should not already be trained in.

hadtomer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
JasonJ;703042 What said:
and then some....here is a local forum discussing the whole issue (hebrew..sorry)
â'éôåìåâ 4X4 - äéëåðå: 1.1.2017, äåøàåú äøéùåé äçãùåú ìäâáäú â'éôéí

just so you know in not bulshitting about how hard it is- here is a local article about it

http://cars.walla.co.il/item/2909669

you can tell by the pictures - you can actually see a police mechanic UNDER a wrangler- checking its height......(the wranglers in the pictures were all impounded by the police cause they were running 6-10 inch lifts- and were all ordered to go back to stock. the police inspector is checking that they were indeed stock.

Its stupid and childish..but so is our counrty. (ha ha). We have very strict lift laws over here....for no reason whatsoever. unlike what many people might think - its not really a desert-only the southern parts. actually its snowing up north. to be exact- about 30% of the country reminds many people of california.

anyway- long story short (and it is a long story)- we were both wrong - me and the garage. the garage installed the old rubber spring mounts which were really old and worn out. like...really worn out. he had thought i wouldnt want to spend money on new mounts (jewish mechanic, jewish owner, we are a thrifty nation.LOL....just kidding.....), kind of dumb considering the fact that with tax and all- the JBA 3.5 inch lift was almost 3000$ - so whats another 100 dollars for mounts?

anyway- problem is now almost solved. the front is still a bit lower. a friend of mine who owns a liberty with the 3.5 inch lift has his front end jacked up a bit compared to mine (same tire size)- that's about 1/2 an inch higher. but he has heavy duty front springs- for an ARB bumper (which he does not have) - i guess that migh be the source of all my trouble.

Last edited:

Myke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What a mess.

Yes, OME 927's will lift you 2.5", or roughly 63.5mm. DESPITE the catalog and promotional materials stating 1.5". It is what it is, and it's fairly well known.

What, do the inspection police run around with tape measures and a list of stock suspension heights for all the vehicles in Israel? I'd think with the sandy conditions outside of the urban areas, and the near desert like environment in that part of the world, lifted and off-road capable 4x4's would be commonplace and not heavily taxed and inspected as you indicated. That's insanity.

Also, it should be embarrassing for the SHOP when you take it back... I'd start off polite, but literally ask what the Hell they thought they were doing. Specialize in Wranglers, TJ, CJ or not... these are basic MacPherson struts in front... been around since the late 1970s... nothing a competent mechanic should not already be trained in.

"They were received by Joseph Schneller, Director of Mobility Ministry of Transport, and his team of examiners" - Google Translated Article

Apparently yes they do have a team of inspectors who do go around checking out modified trucks/suvs.

JeepinJarhead03

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well the director has an appropriate name, i'm sure hes been called the derivative of it many times lol.

Last edited:

JasonJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well that ***** for you guys.

Of all the things going on in Israel and that general area, this is really a misguided effort. But, their nation, their rules I suppose.

So now you have new isolators in the front? And it's still too low?

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score

Of all the things going on in Israel and that general area, this is really a misguided effort. But, their nation, their rules I suppose.

I'd say he is about right on now , since his buddy with I assume 790 springs is a bit higher

hadtomer

Full Access Member
Reaction score

yeah. as if we don't have enough sh## to deal with. although its not as bad as what one might think. what you see on the news ain't exactly what i have in my back yard. its like living in idaho and watching the news about NY and saying: "well-its my country but its not happening over here".

anyway-when i bought the lift i went for the 2927 springs cause i dont have a heavy front bumper-and i didnt want the ride to be too firm. my buddies went for the 2790 springs-and i guess it does make a diffrence. (and new spring isolators were installed 2 days ago).

Thing is- like anyone on the trail- i do need a bit more lift on the front. my buddies are already giving me a hard time about it saying that i had spent a load of money on a lift that doesn't lift the front enough (bad idea to be hanging around people with lifted cherokees who think the IFS liberty is an abomination anyway and just wait to give you examples why a lifted liberty will always be inferior to a cherokee..blah blah blah....) - and sure, im not exactly happy with the fact that the rear is 3 cm (about an inch and a bit) higher. but i guess that was my choice to make and i guess my ride comrort is better. amd like tommud said- its working just fine and there is no reason to mess with it- thats the way JBA wanted it to be, and i guess if i will change things and add a larger clevis or a spacer, i will be messing with things i should not be messing with- and i wili have contact of the A arms and the springs. so- all is well.

JasonJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yeah. as if we don't have enough sh## to deal with. although its not as bad as what one might think. what you see on the news ain't exactly what i have in my back yard. its like living in idaho and watching the news about NY and saying: "well-its my country but its not happening over here".

anyway-when i bought the lift i went for the 2927 springs cause i dont have a heavy front bumper-and i didnt want the ride to be too firm. my buddies went for the 2790 springs-and i guess it does make a diffrence. (and new spring isolators were installed 2 days ago).

Thing is- like anyone on the trail- i do need a bit more lift on the front. my buddies are already giving me a hard time about it saying that i had spent a load of money on a lift that doesn't lift the front enough (bad idea to be hanging around people with lifted cherokees who think the IFS liberty is an abomination anyway and just wait to give you examples why a lifted liberty will always be inferior to a cherokee..blah blah blah....) - and sure, im not exactly happy with the fact that the rear is 3 cm (about an inch and a bit) higher. but i guess that was my choice to make and i guess my ride comrort is better. amd like tommud said- its working just fine and there is no reason to mess with it- thats the way JBA wanted it to be, and i guess if i will change things and add a larger clevis or a spacer, i will be messing with things i should not be messing with- and i wili have contact of the A arms and the springs. so- all is well.

I hear ya. But also consider all of Israel is roughly the size of New Jersey, and the distance from Idaho to NY is roughly 2500 miles.. so when you hear about rockets being shot into Nahariya from Lebenon, and you live in Jerusalem, that's only 85 miles away. So even still, that's a lot of violence and termoil in a very small geographic area.

Don't let the Cherokee guys get you down... I mean, outside the US, the KJ actually is named "Cherokee"... so, it's their truck too.. just different generation.

If you don't already, doing a clevis lift will get you around another half inch of lift (12.5mm). Plus trimming your front bumper on the bottom, should give you better approach and departure angles.

Alternatively, at some point you could sell the lift you have and go for the JBA coilovers and go 4" lift. I'm not sure what else is involved in going up to 4" besides changing the CV axles due to binding... Tom would know should you go that route.

wheeee32

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can go 4 inches on the lift and not need different cv's. I went from 18.25" up to 22.5". No issues or noise with the cv's.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
You can go 4 inches on the lift and not need different cv's. I went from 18.25" up to 22.5". No issues or noise with the cv's.

But he would have some banging on bumps from the springs hitting the UCAs

JasonJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
But he would have some banging on bumps from the springs hitting the UCAs

And wouldn't the pinion angle be all whacked too? Would need to get the adjustable top bracket from JBA to fix that..

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
And wouldn't the pinion angle be all whacked too? Would need to get the adjustable top bracket from JBA to fix that..

It makes it better for sure BUT in the same line of thought many of us ran miles and miles before JBA came out with the extension

hadtomer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
gonna have to learn to live with it-(cause i can't fit a larger clevis-or a larger top spacer)- or wait a bit and get the 790 springs.

I do think that JBA should mention the height difference between the 4 types of springs on their website- cause one might get the idea they all lift the jeep 3.5 inches - and the only diffrence is in the ride comfort. IF i had known i would have purchased the HD springs in the first place.

Last edited:

jeeplib05

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It helps to also read on here before buying stuff
You would've known everything you needed in order to achieve whatever amount of lift you wanted

Members online

No members online now.