New Plugs???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Status
Not open for further replies.

osufans

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So, just poking around checking things out on the new Liberty, and I found something I will need to address.

I pulled out one of the plugs, just to see if regular maintenance had been done. I discovered the electrode was nearly gone. Gap was at about .070!!

I guess I'll be doing my plugs soon. :)

Any suggestions? Or just stick with coppers?

Thanks

sleeve

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No need for anything fancy in the KJ.

Stick with a standard copper plug or run Autolite Double Platinum's. Most of us run the Double's because they don't wear out nearly as fast as the copper but still need to be changed every 30K miles.

I tired Iridium and saw no benefit after 30K miles and have since switched back to the Autolite's.

Powerslave

Banned
Reaction score
If I have to switch my plugs ever again, it will be the E3 Diamond Fire. An EPA guy did a test on them, finally, and they were better than platinum anything. The NOx emissions is what was reduced the most dramatically in the test. Everything else was a few percentages lower, but NOx was much lower by comparison. You also use less gas, not mentionable really, but less NONE the less... They are expensive, like 6 to as high as 11 each. Sure, you don't need them, but, if you are like some people, and people like me, only the best no matter the cost.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
waste of money no matter if you want the best , you're still wasting money, I swap mine ever 20,000-25,000 cause they are cheap to do and work great. If the KJ had a higher performance motor then maybe OK.
The guy who owns the shop that does my alignments worked for Champion for 30 plus years. He's the guy who deceided what plugs worked in what motor , auto and marine. He agrees most are snake oil unless again you're dealing with a high performance motot. He uses off the shelf plugs for his big block powered 69 Camaro even;)

TAHOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
SO you guys are telling us that those 100K plugs don't last 100K??? SHOCKED.gif :D rollinglaugh.gif I usually change mine out every 30K or so. I use the platinums in my Tahoe just cause it WILL run like crap without them, tried it. Not sure what I will put in Libby, probably off the shelf.

rockymountain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So, just poking around checking things out on the new Liberty, and I found something I will need to address.

I pulled out one of the plugs, just to see if regular maintenance had been done. I discovered the electrode was nearly gone. Gap was at about .070!!

I guess I'll be doing my plugs soon. :)

Any suggestions? Or just stick with coppers?

Thanks

How many miles on those? Get autolite plats. I have 12K on my Platinums and they seem to run good still. It still runs smoother than it ever did with the OEM plugs. Here's my post when I changed mine:

http://www.jeepkj.com/forum/showthread.php?t=38158

osufans

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yeah, i'm thinking of going to double plats. when i changed out the OEM plugs at 50K in our T&C, which had double plats, they really didn't need changed yet.

my liberty has 58K miles on it, and i'd have to guess these plugs have seen every one of those miles.

from what i understand, double plats are supposed to run 100K miles or so...but I would probably still change them every 60K or so. i guess i'd have to see what they cost over coppers. as long as it's not too much over double the cost, it would save me the hassle of swapping them out every 30K.

ridenby

Gold Supporter
Reaction score
I use copper now,tried bosch plat. had two die shortly afterward,they were mailorder so rough handling probably contributed to their demise.

ThunderbirdJunkie

Bronze Supporter
Reaction score
If I have to switch my plugs ever again, it will be the E3 Diamond Fire. An EPA guy did a test on them, finally, and they were better than platinum anything. The NOx emissions is what was reduced the most dramatically in the test. Everything else was a few percentages lower, but NOx was much lower by comparison. You also use less gas, not mentionable really, but less NONE the less... They are expensive, like 6 to as high as 11 each. Sure, you don't need them, but, if you are like some people, and people like me, only the best no matter the cost.

Any links to this EPA guy's test?
SO you guys are telling us that those 100K plugs don't last 100K??? SHOCKED.gif :D rollinglaugh.gif I usually change mine out every 30K or so. I use the platinums in my Tahoe just cause it WILL run like crap without them, tried it. Not sure what I will put in Libby, probably off the shelf.

according to scheduled maintenance, KJ requires them every 15k

osufans

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Picked up some autolite double plats...already got them installed. the plugs that came out were NGK's, so i guess they've been changed at least once. Phew...can't believe that these things prolly only have less than 30K miles on them and are gapped out to about .068" already!

Hopefully the double plats last a bit longer!

Thanks all!

osufans

Full Access Member
Reaction score
NGKs are factory

Wow...really? All three recent Dodge's I've owned had Champion plugs.

Hopefully this will give me a tad better gas mileage, though I'm not expecting much. My last (and first...lol) mileage estimate was at 17.5 MPG.

On another note...I have decided that this generation of Chrysler vehicles is about the easiest I have ever worked on. I've had a Dodge Neon, we have a Chrysler T&C, I used to have a Dodge Ram, and now have this Jeep.

Compared to some recent Ford's that I have owned, these are SO much easier to get my hands in and around, and things are laid out in a much more logical way.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You got it all wrong,you need to run SplitFire spark plugs,and if you add the tornado you will get 100hp,dyno proven by obama himself,and get 75mpg while doing 100mph.Don't forget to add that Duralube in the crankcase and then drain all the oil back out,less friction and is good for anothe 25hp,again dyno proven.loser.gif

If you didn't get the strong sarcasm there's no hope for you.The reason you saw a increse in power and mileage was from the fact that you needed new plugs and by putting new plugs in you got that extra increase,you will see that same increase every time you change your plugs,that has been proven over the last 100 years.

All copper core plugs may last up to 30,000miles,highly unlikely though.

All Platinum plugs may last 50,000miles with no decrease in performance,your pushing it after 50k.

Iriduim plugs will last longer,you need extremely high voltage to see there max potential.

Any plug with more then one path for the spark to travel is worthless,if you don't know why ask any engine builder in Formula 1,Indy car,NASCAR,and NHRA(by the way where most of the modern engines are dirived from).

Powerslave

Banned
Reaction score
If you didn't get the strong sarcasm there's no hope for you.The reason you saw a increse in power and mileage was from the fact that you needed new plugs and by putting new plugs in you got that extra increase,you will see that same increase every time you change your plugs,that has been proven over the last 100 years.

Hmm, ummm, Yeah, but too bad I didn't say anything about the increase in power, and mileage in the quote you just used. Yeah, sorry dude, again, another little thing you decided to make up on your own here. You even quoted what I said, in this thread, and nothing in there mentions HP+, and MPG+; just good ole' EPA stuff. Ok, So, Ummm, yeah, thanks anyway, and you have a nice day............dream.

Oh, and everyone else who can read the English language without pause, I am using Bosch +2 Platinums now.

yellocoyote

Administrator
Reaction score
Autolite Platinums - they've done well for me. I need to replace them again pretty soon.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hmm, ummm, Yeah, but too bad I didn't say anything about the increase in power, and mileage in the quote you just used. Yeah, sorry dude, again, another little thing you decided to make up on your own here. You even quoted what I said, in this thread, and nothing in there mentions HP+, and MPG+; just good ole' EPA stuff. Ok, So, Ummm, yeah, thanks anyway, and you have a nice day............dream.

Oh, and everyone else who can read the English language without pause, I am using Bosch +2 Platinums now.
If the EPA did a test(highly doubt it) let's see the results,it should be plastered all over the web and all the auto makers should be using those snake oil plugs(which they will never).Like stated already let's see the EPA test results.

Powerslave

Banned
Reaction score
If the EPA did a test(highly doubt it) let's see the results,it should be plastered all over the web and all the auto makers should be using those snake oil plugs(which they will never).Like stated already let's see the EPA test results.

If you know how to use the Internet and a Search engine, you can do it, really, I have that much faith in you anyway. You, and some others like you (well, one) are always on the devil's advocate side, for which I will not help either of you look for anything. AND, on top of that, I don't care what anyone thinks, or says, because everything I do, works for me (and THAT, is all that matters, right?), and; I own vehicles to the 150K+ mile marks, with all original parts and gaskets. Never had an engine blow, jump time, drop a valve, break a spring, blast a rod, whatever. I read and do research, apply theory and application, and I am good to go. Smart people like me, with IQs well above the average Bear, are able to make very good decisions based on data...

What I can say, it was a carbureted motor on a Dyno, that probably makes all the difference as EFI engines are pretty much optimized. STILL? I got money to burn, so I can waste it on the plugs if I want. It's good to be the king... SO, if what I do causes irreparable damage? I can go buy another one without a passing thought, so I can drop 35-48.00 on a set of plugs, EASY.

The E3 Diamond Fire plugs, are the best I have researched and studied thus far. Looked up many videos and read plenty data sheets, how they're made and constructed; and how they ignite the fuel. They are about the best on the market, and better be at those prices. They work optimal in Carburetor vehicles, I'll give them that FOR CERTAIN. EFI? Not much worth mentioning except the emissions, for a more complete burn. I LIKE 'EM!

Status
Not open for further replies.