Is there supposed to be a weep hole plug in the water pump?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jamesbeat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've just replaced the water pump in my 05 Liberty 3.7l.
I noticed that there is a little hole at the top of the water pump housing. On the old pump, there is some sort of plug in this hole, but there is no plug in the hole in the new pump.

Is there supposed to be something in there? I haven't refilled the coolant yet in case it all leaks out of the hole or something.

turblediesel

memberable
Reaction score
I don't have the 3.7 but weep holes in water pumps are normal. It doesn't really matter where the weep hole is except that it's outside the sealed coolant area. Seal blows, hole weeps, owner cries and buys new water pump and replaces it.

Maybe a previous owner jb welded the hole because it was leaking?

• Wow
Reactions: klc

jamesbeat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's not JB weld, it's some sort of rubber plug that looks like it's supposed to be in there.

Robochop

Robochop
Reaction score
Yes, the hole is supposed to be there. It lets you know the water pump is going bad, when it starts to leak. You definitely don't want to overheat a 3.7!!

turblediesel

memberable
Reaction score
Rubber plug makes sense to keep grit out. Most weep holes are on the bottom of the water pump.