New here, rolled 02 libby...is it fixable?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Status
Not open for further replies.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
You mean the red neck engineering rear tire tire carrier? Would never want to have anything like that

boebr1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ahha.. i did miss it... always interesting to see what someone else tries to make work

Last edited:

JeepCoMJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well Pat I can't wait to see the "after you are done working on it" pics.

Someone put some $$$ into it originally and it has good mods. I think when you are done with it you might even like it.

Dave

I never said I didn't like it.

I actually love it. but I'd rather have a diesel. but I love the fact that I can buy an old fsj waggy, put a cummins in it, do a bunch of retro-mod updates, and have it be just as reliable with better economy, and spend have as much money.

trust me, if I personally had the cash, I'd buy something nice and mod it...but I don't, so I'll live through my brother on this one.

JeepCoMJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You mean the red neck engineering rear tire tire carrier? Would never want to have anything like that

actually, it was a nice job on the tie-ins, and the only thing lacking was the bumper end caps...which the factory ones look crappy anyways. the carrier actually fits the minivan quite well, all things considered, and when this is done, it will actually look proper.

ahha.. i did miss it... always interesting to see what someone else tries to make work

see above. it really is not near as bad as some guys here think. I didn't post good pics to show how it actually fits. just needs the bumper caps done properly.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
mini van mmmm
Guess we need to get you out of your own little world once in a while don't we

JeepCoMJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
IFS, solid axle. I have my preference, you have yours. but I've admitted that the KJ can be made capable.

your preference is higher dollars. if I had it, I'd do it. I'm not knocking your preference for higher dollar stuff, just saying it doesn't suit me...I can do this to an xj, and (if I live...kudos to KJ unibody strength) I can replace the whole vehicle on the same day.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
higher dollar? Don't quite understand unless you mean you can buy XJs every day cheaper than you can a KJ
As far as lifts and other things its all about the same in the end depending what you do.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Personally I like to take the 6cyl out of things and stuff V8's in there place:icon_twisted:. I'm waiting for someone else to do it first in a KJ.
There is one started over on LOST,not finished yet and who knows when it will be,it's a 302 SBF.

After I get this family crap straightened out and dig myself back out of the hole it has left me in I can start on my V8 swap which will be a mildly build 347 SBF(450-500HP) with stand alone FI and a highly modified AOD trans,looking at all torque to be made from 1200rpm to about 3500-4000rpm.

JeepCoMJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
higher dollar? Don't quite understand unless you mean you can buy XJs every day cheaper than you can a KJ
As far as lifts and other things its all about the same in the end depending what you do.

the most expensive built xj I've ever seen (that was built on reasonable income) was still cheaper than a stock KJ. that's my point. and it was fully caged.

Last edited:

JeepCoMJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Now a KJ with SFA = perfect10.gif

Anything with a 4.0 I6 in it makes me want to :pp:

the 4.0 actually gets better economy and has been proven...the 3.7 doesn't get decent mileage on a good day, I get 23 and 24mpg hiway out of mine running 35" tires and 4.10 gears.

just sayin. and most KJ's with 3.7's and more than 180,000 miles that I've seen have already had to have head gaskets done, or are being sold cheap because they blew the heads. again, just sayin...

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
the 4.0 actually gets better economy and has been proven...the 3.7 doesn't get decent mileage on a good day, I get 23 and 24mpg hiway out of mine running 35" tires and 4.10 gears.

just sayin. and most KJ's with 3.7's and more than 180,000 miles that I've seen have already had to have head gaskets done, or are being sold cheap because they blew the heads. again, just sayin...

Ok now you're trying out to be a comic as well?
After owning 3 XJs myself ( all lifted, etc) I know the mileage they get and trust me I get way better with the KJ than I did with the XJs ( getting 21 average on the KJ with 32's and 4.10s plus way more weight than any of my XJs weighed.)
Now next you've seen:yawn: a lot of KJs with blown head gaskets, think again:whip: out of all of the sites I am on plus everyone I know that has KJs there have been a few but not as many ass you're trying get get some to think.
You know Grandpa always said not to try to BS a BS'er and thats what you're trying to do I think, no wait I know.........
Just saying.....................:whip:

JeepCoMJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok now you're trying out to be a comic as well?
After owning 3 XJs myself ( all lifted, etc) I know the mileage they get and trust me I get way better with the KJ than I did with the XJs ( getting 21 average on the KJ with 32's and 4.10s plus way more weight than any of my XJs weighed.)
Now next you've seen:yawn: a lot of KJs with blown head gaskets, think again:whip: out of all of the sites I am on plus everyone I know that has KJs there have been a few but not as many ass you're trying get get some to think.
You know Grandpa always said not to try to BS a BS'er and thats what you're trying to do I think, no wait I know.........
Just saying.....................:whip:

not bsing. I've seen more than 10 local with bad head gaskets. and they still want over 3 grand for them...not worth it.

as for your xj, if you couldn't get over 21mpg highway, you weren't doing it right.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
not bsing. I've seen more than 10 local with bad head gaskets. and they still want over 3 grand for them...not worth it.

as for your xj, if you couldn't get over 21mpg highway, you weren't doing it right.

I've been playing with Jeeps and other 4WDs way longer than you've been on the planet. Worked in dealerships and smaller garages, even worked with a guy who won several mileage awards and he was always playing with my junk to help improve the mileage so we were getting the most for what we had.
In Ohio we have over 70 KJs in the LOST group and I know a ton of people more who have ones with 125-150000 on theirs and no ones had any head gaskets go bad. Not saying a few don't but look at the XJs issues. I'll take a KJ anyday over a XJ anymore.
Since you don't really own one, and have never driven one on a daily basis how can you condemn what you don't know???

Jo6pak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have to agree with Tom on this one.
My last vehicle was a 96 XJ, finally got rid of it when it had 190k on the odo. It was just nickeling me with little repairs, so I started looking for another XJ. To make a long story short, I reluctantly bought a 04 KJ because I got a good deal on it.( $7 grand with 52k on it.)

honestly, at the time I didn't really want a Libby, I wanted another Cherokee.

It took me a while to come around, but I have to admit now that the Libby is a better vehicle. It gets better gas mileage, is more comfortable, and (i never thought I'd say this) actually more capable off road than my old Cherokee. And trust me, I never thought I would say that, and nobody I tell believes me.........unless they are a KJ owner.

And my buddies step daughter has a 03 Renie with more than 200k on the clock, still purrs like the proverbial kitten.

I loved my XJ, but I like my KJ more

JeepCoMJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've been playing with Jeeps and other 4WDs way longer than you've been on the planet. Worked in dealerships and smaller garages, even worked with a guy who won several mileage awards and he was always playing with my junk to help improve the mileage so we were getting the most for what we had.
In Ohio we have over 70 KJs in the LOST group and I know a ton of people more who have ones with 125-150000 on theirs and no ones had any head gaskets go bad. Not saying a few don't but look at the XJs issues. I'll take a KJ anyday over a XJ anymore.
Since you don't really own one, and have never driven one on a daily basis how can you condemn what you don't know???

I know the statistics of what he was getting mileage-wise. I know what I get with my renix 4.0's, and I know that I've managed to squeeze more out of my H.O. 4.0's. granted, I run torquer cams to increase torque, and reduce where the hp and torque curve meet from 2250 to 1800 rpm...which is where they cruise at on stock tire/gear combo's anyways. I pull better mpg's with my 4.0's than your 3.7 will get, plain and simple.

I like what I like, because it is what I know. you are correct on that. I'll give the KJ's some points on durability in an accident, but I can not and will not give points to affordability or mileage. this is my take on it, and you disagree. I respect that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Members online