New here, rolled 02 libby...is it fixable?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Status
Not open for further replies.

JeepCoMJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

My name is Pat...I'm a Comanche guy (owned around 27 of them, one is a factory diesel), and a cherokee guy. new to the Libby world...but hey, it's all the same.

Anyways, my brother just rolled his 02 liberty renegade.

it's got a 3" lift (unknown brand...RE full suspension lift, not a budget boost), smittybuilt swingout tire carrier, and has been regeared to 4.11's with 31x10.50R16 hanook m/t's and cragar soft 8's.

I'll have more pics when it's delivered to my place...I'm going to try and fix it.

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

the hood, both fenders, grille, both passenger doors, and passenger rear quarter are pretty beat up. the roof is intact, all doors seal well, all doors open fine, rear bumper is OK, it will need a new front bumper, and the passenger inner fender is pretty beat up. the uniframe rails seem straight.

windshield isn't cracked, all glass but driver's glass is intact, suspension seems just fine, and once I get it I'll be able to tell if the ASD system actually shut it down, or if the motor is toast. unfortunately, it was liability coverage only (and he bought it 2 months ago for $7000 cash).

any ideas? he won't be driving it any more. I'm going to buy it from him for whatever price he would get parting it out, less tires (he's using them on his comanche).

where would I go about getting the parts I need?

Thanks,

Pat

boebr1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i'm almost affraid to ask how it got rolled into where it is sitting... (youtube redneck burnout gone bad comes to mind)... if it's cheap, who cares, put tires on it, put a window in it... cut the hell out of everything else, make a tube (truggy style) front cage with flaps and lights etc... and have fun with it

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Wow that so ***** for him. That was a real nice Jeep.
Did it go into the ditch and roll or WTF happened there?
Not sure what you have in the local junk yards, but sounds like you are going to need some used parts and some new!

JeepCoMJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
looking to put it back on the road.

the story he says is that he spilled his hot coffee (he likes HOT coffee...mcdonald's hot which is 220 degrees) on his lap, lost control.

the EMT (friend of mine) says he went off the passenger side of the road, up a birm, flopped up back onto the road, rolled over the hood, and landed on it's side on the driver's (oncoming) side of the road.

i know for sure that he wasn't messing around, and the breathalizer says he had zero alcohol in system.

JeepCoMJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
absolute worst case, I'll strip all the lift and everything including axles out of it, sell the shell, and put the light bar on my comanche, plus the seats in it. i'm sure I'll get a few grand out of it parting it out.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Hey I thought you said it was just rolled the photo is dated 2005.? HUH?

boebr1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
sell off the lift, engine, ******, axles etc, then put a K-5 Blazer chassis under it with at least a 350v8, 4-6"lift, and some 38inch super swamper boggers... yeah!!

JeepCoMJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey I thought you said it was just rolled the photo is dated 2005.? HUH?

camera date isn't set on my friend's camera.

sell off the lift, engine, ******, axles etc, then put a K-5 Blazer chassis under it with at least a 350v8, 4-6"lift, and some 38inch super swamper boggers... yeah!!

yeah. not to be a dick, but let's go for realistic, not redneck, and not a crappy idea please. thanks (sorry, but I hate when people have useless babble to add to it. I'd like an opinion of if it's fixable, and where to get parts....not of some crazy stupid hair brained scheme of a project...I have enough of those)

-Pat

JeepCoMJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
it doesn't look like january in WI either...

*sigh*

and november doesn't look like it either (it's raining right now).

you know you live in wisconsin when the seasons can't make up their mind and choose which one to be...

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
I would like to think it is fixable. I look forward to your photos once you get it home, and hear about the engine's & driveline's condition.
Because the roof does not appear to be bent or windshield not broken,that is a good sign.
Do you have a garage to work on it with all the tools etc?

boebr1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
camera date isn't set on my friend's camera.

yeah. not to be a dick, but let's go for realistic, not redneck, and not a crappy idea please. thanks (sorry, but I hate when people have useless babble to add to it. I'd like an opinion of if it's fixable, and where to get parts....not of some crazy stupid hair brained scheme of a project...I have enough of those)

-Pat

it's fixable... the other comments are other ideas because it's very fixable... parts should be easy to come by in wrecking yards, most of it will be simple bolt ons, and then some dent repair if you feel like you want it to be pretty

JeepCoMJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm fully equipped to work on it.

right now I'm stripping a '99 xj, almost done converting my '87 mj to a '99 xj, have an '86 mj I need to put the supercharged buick 3800 back in, with the new bed and some minor body work, I'm restoring my dad's factory '86 2.1 renault turbo diesel comanche, just finished redoing my brother's '88 comanche, have a friend's '88 comanche to lower, convert to '92 MJ H.O. 4.0 with external slave ax15 and d44 with 4.10's, I'm restoring an alfa romeo for another friend, building bumpers for a couple customers, and I just picked up another '99 xj to put a motor in.

all under one roof (I can fit 16 cars in my pole barn...not insulated, gravel floor, but it's better than nothing).

so, i'll be able to do the work with what I have for tools, and can borrow what I don't have.

twack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
this looks like a simple fix to be back on the road. hell you didnt even crack the windshield. i bet everything frame wise is straight. i would imagine that the engine is fine once you right it, let it sit for a couple hours and then redid all the fluids. looks like you dont need much more then lights and a hood and windows to get rollin. after that its all super ficial and you could just rock it out as a trail dedicated. nw you wont have to worry about banging it up because it already is

JeepCoMJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I may have found an '02 with blown motor for $500. friend's dad has it. easier to do a full parts swap than it is to deal with this body, i think...

Shaggy

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
It was a nice looking liberty. Do you have any pics of it on its wheels, right side up?

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
I may have found an '02 with blown motor for $500. friend's dad has it. easier to do a full parts swap than it is to deal with this body, i think...
For $500 I would definitely do the parts swap. Yes you would be starting with a good body and with 2 vehicles, you will have tons of spares to sell.
The onboard computers boxes are worth more than $500 alone.
Add in spare front & Rear diffs, transmission, interior, you are on the right track with that deal. Having room to store and work on both is a complete bonus.
This should be an exciting project for you.:gr_grin:

DirtyKK

JPOTM WINNER
Reaction score
nobody has asked about the smittybilt tire carrier? nothing is available from smittybilt for any liberty, so it must be custom?

if youre parting it you should let the light bar go for cheap to me. that way i can test fit it on a KK. :icon_twisted:

Status
Not open for further replies.