New here, rolled 02 libby...is it fixable?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Status
Not open for further replies.

JeepCoMJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
not sure on which detroit it is, but I'd imagine full, since the PO said it was a full carrier locker.

my price was in the ideal situation. that said, ebay is proving pretty high prices right now, and I have a friend with a KJ who would pay $850 for the pair of axles without even blinking...but that would include me installing them (which, to be honest, will be easy as all heck).

I know the price is "high". but I don't care, because we're talking theory right now, not actuality.

JeepCoMJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
did some work to it today...tore off all the junk parts (except front doors), and got down to the passenger inner fender. had a friend with an '02 libby stop by and took a bunch of measurements, then put some patch on the radiator, isolated the transmission lines, flushed and put new fluid in the trans, filled it all up, and took it for a test drive. drives straight, and the body is structurally sound and square.

I also discovered how easy of access you guys have to the inside of the rear quarter panels on these things...pulling these dents will be freakin easy as hell. I got a front crossmember, radiator support bar, upper rad support, and passenger inner fender for free from the junkyard today...drill out some spot welds and I should have this thing back to normal pretty quick.

oh, and I pulled the major dents from the rear doors already, but both front doors are gonna be a loss.

pics...
You must be registered for see images attach

and the only pic I have of it prior to the accident, on the day he bought it (cell pic)

twack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
nice, i knew it was fixable. hopefuly you can score some good deals on the new parts. in the end you might just want to rhino line it like Diggers jeep. looks badass and will hide many imperfections in the body panels

JeepCoMJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
nah, there won't be any imperfections when I'm done.

my brother and I are like-minded. this thing is a badass minivan...not a true jeep (sorry, but it's true)

JeepCoMJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
eh. i like my mj's quite a bit more. he bought that thing to drive, not to wheel...it needs to look good (yes, it's a mall crawler)

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, those xj's have one weak body. Just this past weekend I had ours up on jack stands and the drivers door would hardly open and close. This was in a garage ('level' floor) so I couldn't imagine what would of happened to an xj with this situation.

JeepCoMJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, those xj's have one weak body. Just this past weekend I had ours up on jack stands and the drivers door would hardly open and close. This was in a garage ('level' floor) so I couldn't imagine what would of happened to an xj with this situation.

i've flopped an xj on it's side with less damage. I've rolled one with the same damage, and I've rear ended with one with less damage.

it's in the eye of the beholder. fact is, I just think these are grocery getters. My opinion is not meant to be offensive...it's just my point of view. I have yet to wheel with one that has the capability of an xj or mj off road (and this is mostly due to the inferior IFS setup on these...granted, IFS can be set up EXTREMELY WELL for offroading...but these just aren't).

I can almost guarantee that this thing wouldn't have rolled if it had a solid front axle.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
For someone who has never really driven one,
wheeled one
nor worked on one
you seem to think you have more knowledge than those of us who have been working and wheeling them for several years.
I had 3 XJs bought brand new and ran each of them well over 250,000 miles
I'll take your " IFS grocery getter " any day of the week

and to it "would not of rolled with a SFA" thats FUNNY
:happy175::happy175::happy175::happy175::happy175::happy175::happy175:

Enough comedians out of work already don't think they need anymore standing in line

Oh and I have been rear ended 4 times now, no damage and each time the cars were hauled away
hit 3 Deer and a Toyota Camry and still no damage
KJs are way tougher than the XJs/MJs for sure!!!

Last edited:

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i've flopped an xj on it's side with less damage. I've rolled one with the same damage, and I've rear ended with one with less damage.

it's in the eye of the beholder. fact is, I just think these are grocery getters. My opinion is not meant to be offensive...it's just my point of view. I have yet to wheel with one that has the capability of an xj or mj off road (and this is mostly due to the inferior IFS setup on these...granted, IFS can be set up EXTREMELY WELL for offroading...but these just aren't).

I can almost guarantee that this thing wouldn't have rolled if it had a solid front axle.
Flopping it on it's side is different then rolling it at speed.

I re-located a fart-can imports R/R tail light by over a foot with my KJ with zero damage,long time ago took the whole side off of a taurus with just some scuff marks on my RR tire(over $7k damage to car).

Every accident is vastly different but the KJ as a whole has held up far better then any XJ/MJ ever could.I worked at a bodyshop,seen some pretty messed up vehicles and can tell you a XJ/MJ does not hold up well.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
when I see people get cocky on forums I always check the age...sure enough.

Ha I just looked, I see what you mean

My Grandfather once told me that to be old and wise you first must be young and dumb.

Not talking about anyone on here mind you......

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ha I just looked, I see what you mean

My Grandfather once told me that to be old and wise you first must be young and dumb.

Not talking about anyone on here mind you......
well I'm not young(well that young),not the brightest bulb in the box,but I am full of...................................:smokin:

and no the last does not start with a "S".

JeepCoMJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm not being cocky. I like what I like...and I appreciate that you like what you like.

I've never had a serious issue with xj's and mj's, and I doubt I will...

that said, why didn't the air bags go off? it was front end...

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
why didn't the air bags go off? it was front end...
2nd gen airbags are much smarter then older versions and can tell by inertia switches if the airbags should be deployed or not in milliseconds.

Oh and if the drivers seatbelt was not buckled the drivers side airbag will not go off,a sure fire way to tell if the seat belt was not on when the airbag should have blew and what alot of insurance companies use to deny claims after a computer tap into the SRS module.Certain years the passenger side has sensors to tell if you have a passenger or not so it won't blow unless needed.

JeepCoMJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2nd gen airbags are much smarter then older versions and can tell by inertia switches if the airbags should be deployed or not in milliseconds.

Oh and if the drivers seatbelt was not buckled the drivers side airbag will not go off,a sure fire way to tell if the seat belt was not on when the airbag should have blew and what alot of insurance companies use to deny claims after a computer tap into the SRS module.Certain years the passenger side has sensors to tell if you have a passenger or not so it won't blow unless needed.

k.

JeepCoMJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well, moved it down to my dad's heated shop, pulled the dents out of the rear quarters, got them smoothed and primed already.

front doors are on their way, we fixed the rear doors already, and I got the front frame from one @ the junkyard. gotta drill out the spot welds from his inner fender and on the driver's side upper rad support bar, swap that all out, then start bolting it together. haven't decided on the new paint yet...

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
well, moved it down to my dad's heated shop, pulled the dents out of the rear quarters, got them smoothed and primed already.

front doors are on their way, we fixed the rear doors already, and I got the front frame from one @ the junkyard. gotta drill out the spot welds from his inner fender and on the driver's side upper rad support bar, swap that all out, then start bolting it together. haven't decided on the new paint yet...

Well Pat I can't wait to see the "after you are done working on it" pics.

Someone put some $$$ into it originally and it has good mods. I think when you are done with it you might even like it.

Dave

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.