Need tire advice.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jaxom

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just started working again, and one of the things I really need to get done soon is replace some tires and one rim. Our 2004 KJ came with Wrangler P235/70R16SL tires. Earlier this year before I was working I had a flat. A friend loaned us the money to buy an inexpensive off brand called Primwell at Firestone. The size of this one tire is P235/65R18.

My first question is this. The last number in both types I have on my vehicle means the size in inches? Or that I have 3 16" tires and 1 18"?

Next issue. Late last year someone stold the spare off the back of our jeep. What I'd really like to do is find a "cheap" steel or other wise inexpensive rim to put the Primwell branded one as my spare, and then replace the other tires with Wranglers. If I were to go to a boneyard, or even Craigslist how would I tell if a rim will fit the Primewell tire? (FYI, once I do replace the spare, I'll be putting a locking lug nut on it...making sure the key is kept in glove compartment in case of emergency) Short of getting an alarm installed, any other way to prevent my spare from disappearing again?

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
I just started working again, and one of the things I really need to get done soon is replace some tires and one rim. Our 2004 KJ came with Wrangler P235/70R16SL tires. Earlier this year before I was working I had a flat. A friend loaned us the money to buy an inexpensive off brand called Primwell at Firestone. The size of this one tire is P235/65R18.

My first question is this. The last number in both types I have on my vehicle means the size in inches? Or that I have 3 16" tires and 1 18"?

Next issue. Late last year someone stold the spare off the back of our jeep. What I'd really like to do is find a "cheap" steel or other wise inexpensive rim to put the Primwell branded one as my spare, and then replace the other tires with Wranglers. If I were to go to a boneyard, or even Craigslist how would I tell if a rim will fit the Primewell tire? (FYI, once I do replace the spare, I'll be putting a locking lug nut on it...making sure the key is kept in glove compartment in case of emergency) Short of getting an alarm installed, any other way to prevent my spare from disappearing again?

I do hope that you read the sizes wrong and that you don't have one 18 and 3 16 inch wheels on there plus 3 tires of one size and one of another. First the 18 inch tire is approx. 30 inches tall with the other 3 29 inches tall. Thats not good on any 4 wheel drive
18 inch is a odd size tire to be on a KJ, some KKs I think had that size but again all were matched. To get a steel wheel just tell the junk yard what you need it for and they'll get what you need. Heck some ( like me ) have 16 inch steels laying around. But I would get the correct size on ASAP

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
For securing the spare, a cable lock run through the wheel and the mount would be one extra deterrent. Wouldn't make it theft proof by any means but it'd make it more difficult.

M38 Bob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I find it kinda hard to believe the vehicle has 1 18" rim. Were you running on the true "spare" wheel when the wheel mounted on the rear was stolen? Do all your current wheels look the same, or is the "18" a different design?

Bob

ouroboros

Full Access Member
Reaction score
235 is the section width of the tire... 70 is the aspect ratio which is a percentage of the section width.. 16 is the diameter of the wheel that tire can go on.

Jaxom

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ah....I may have worded by post wrong then. All the rims are the same. The three Wranglers came with the vehicle, and that includes the spare. Last fall I had swapped out the spare which was identical to the other four tires, because I had one with a really bad slow leak. Only days later the spare with the leaky tire was stolen. So glad I had swapped them out!

I am thankful for the advice already offered. I'm understanding more now, yet I'm still confused as why Firestone would have installed a different sized tire. I have triple checked now, the numbers I posted above are what is on the tires.

Jbergun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You are contradicting yourself they are all the same size rim but your sure the number you posted are right? The last number is the rim size you couldnt put an 18 inch tire on a 16 inch rim. But besides the point the 3 tires you have are stock size 235 70 16 thats the size you should be looking for. As for the missing rim if you want aesthetically pleasing craigslist or a pick and pull is your best bet. If you dont care how it looks get a cheap 16 inch steelie off amazon or ebay they can be had pretty cheap. As for tires i recommend tire rack because its right over in indiana for me but thats a bit of a drive for you.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
A personal question
do you drink strong alcoholic beverages
or
just smoke some good home grown every now and again
Just wondering before you go check the sizes of the tires again

Jbergun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
:happy175: good one :mexsmoke: sorry for razin ya jaxom dont let it deture you we are here to help eachother out but read what we have to say and if you dont understand something ask no big deal we all need a laugh here and there

Jbergun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When we say wheels we mean the actual rim not the rubbers. Your tire is the rubbers i dont understand the math in the first two numbers but i know my stock liberty came with 235 70 16. The 16 being the rim size. As for knowing if the primewell will fit a rim you find measure your rim inside and out and measure the perspective rim. I believe the stock rims are 16x7 but dont quote me on that. If you plan on using 4wd all the tires need to be the same size.

Jaxom

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Back again! Reading all the replies since I last posted. Honestly, working over-time while taking care of a wife with pneumonia and a daughter with bronchitis at the same time, I must have been seeing things! The quote Firestone gave me had the wrong size on it. Temps dropped in the last few days, had to bump up pressure so I checked the actual size on the tires. Thought I had checked it...again, must have been seeing things. Now that that is cleared up... Next question.

I see a boneyard or a private party either selling rims or stripping a vehicle, how can I tell if a rim is the right size for the tires I have. I don't care if it matches, as this fifth rim will be used as a spare and will be covered anyways.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Back again! Reading all the replies since I last posted. Honestly, working over-time while taking care of a wife with pneumonia and a daughter with bronchitis at the same time, I must have been seeing things! The quote Firestone gave me had the wrong size on it. Temps dropped in the last few days, had to bump up pressure so I checked the actual size on the tires. Thought I had checked it...again, must have been seeing things. Now that that is cleared up... Next question.

I see a boneyard or a private party either selling rims or stripping a vehicle, how can I tell if a rim is the right size for the tires I have. I don't care if it matches, as this fifth rim will be used as a spare and will be covered anyways.

5 X 4.5 ( 5 lug bolts/ 4.5 inch bolt pattern, off of any KJ would be great or KK ( 2002-2012) Some Fords etc have same bolt pattern but center hole is too small most times

ouroboros

Full Access Member
Reaction score
5 X 4.5 ( 5 lug bolts/ 4.5 inch bolt pattern, off of any KJ would be great or KK ( 2002-2012) Some Fords etc have same bolt pattern but center hole is too small most times

X2

The KJ steel wheels are usually cheap and easy to find too. Search car-part.com and you can see what local parts yards have around you.

Jaxom

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So'kay! Next time I have a day off and have $50 or so (figure cash for rim, gas, perhaps a lunch) I'll head to local bone yard. So long as the last two digits say 16 on the tire whether it's good or bad I should be in the clear then?

wdwillson

Reaction score
Jaxom what state are you in I live close to a st.louis. in michigan. and my steelies are coming off today.

Latest posts

Members online