Need new front springs...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ozone000

Reaction score
Bure Aghali means "free is expensive", not cheap is expensive, btw. There's quite a bit of a difference. Cheap often has a good value or at least has required functionality at the lowest price, but things given away for free always come with a hidden price. Ask your African friends, they will confirm.

I'd like to know what post lead you to think "cheap or the cheapest"(EDIT: I realize this may look a bit sarcastic, but I really would like to know what post I mangled that made someone think this). I know me, and I'm pretty sure I go for the best value. Just because I don't believe cost = benefit doesn't mean I go for the cheapest option. Were you to describe the benefits of OME shocks over Bilstein (rather than saying, repeatedly, over several different threads that they offer essentially the same ride), I would have listened. I did say that I don't care about lift height, several times. Granted, maybe the LIFT THREAD wasn't the best place to put this question, but at the time I thought it was reasonable since I was asking about taller springs.

I am not the first to accuse you of what someone else said is a "bad bedside manner"; I've now read a LOT of your posts. Even your friend Twobobs had to defend you in this thread. I can respect experience, but in my experience people that truly know what they are talking about listen first then have the ability to explain their opinions. When I see posts like this one and a response that is dismissive and, frankly, insulting, to a person that put a lot of work and thought into a perfectly valid question, that takes whatever amount of experience you have and makes me think that you either don't care or aren't willing to consider things you haven't thought of before. To me, either of those attitudes disqualify someone as an expert.

Maybe those don't apply to you generally, maybe you're just sick of hearing the same questions over and over again, I'm not trying to tell you your thoughts, but that is the impression that I, and more than one other that has PM'd me, get about you .

I have no doubt that you are an expert in the matter. However, you have a lot of seemingly contradicting views on things. I am sure that they only seem contradicting because you, for whatever reason, don't provide any context. Like I said before, for instance, 927/948 combo may very well be the best available option for everyone but when a person is recommended a $1000 price tag but with no acknowledgement of the fact that different people generally need different things the entire recommendation often gets discounted. For another instance, I don't know right now what you think the OME has as a benefit over the Bilstein, if any. I've looked. I am well aware that you think the OME is better, but without knowing WHY, I can't determine if it is better for me or if it would only be better for someone else.

It all come down to the fact that we are doing a cost/benefit analysis. The cost is numbers, the benefit is what we are all asking you for.

All it takes in a forum like this is ONE effort as to explaining why. Those of us that don't know can link to that explanation. Or you can link to it. Heck, you're a moderator you can make it a sticky. I know because I'm an expert in another forum. I listen, I recommend, and I offer explanation, caveats, and options. Difference is that I'm an expert in something that is nearly free to complete and easy to alter. You are an expert in something that can cost people thousands of dollars and cannot be returned. You WILL deal with more anxiety as a matter of course. You seem to take that anxiety as a lack of respect for your expertise. It is not so. It is anxiety for doing it right the first time. I stated that price was not really an object for me. I was not convinced (and honestly still am not) that OME shocks are worth the price. For all I know, I'd get the same issues I have now with a higher price tag.

You need to understand that I am not the only person with these questions and these concerns, but I am likely the only person in my unique situation, just like everyone else is. If you have respect for that, people that aren't inclined to respect your dictum will certainly respect your explanations.

Trust me, I've been there.

Last edited:

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
He knows Swahili, WELL maybe a little bit
I'll tell my wife she'll get a huge laugh out of that
You know since she is native Swahili speaker from Tanzania who teaches languages at the University level, sounds like a Kenyan taught you since they butcher the language something awful

Last edited:

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
he knows Swahili
I'll tell my wife she'll get a huge laugh out of that
You know since she is native Swahili speaker from Tanzania who teaches languages at the University level, sounds like a Kenyan taught you since they butcher the language
Wife just looked at this and laughed
Now back to lifts
OME shocks are valved for the KJ and their springs

Oh and as far as her knowledge and experience, teaching at two universities in Tanzania, plus Ohio, Boston and Harvard here in the USA gives her a small amount of credibility. But I will make sure to be ask some of my other " African " friends as well
Yes now that is me giving a jerk answer but the truth LOL
Of course you know that Swahili is not an African language per se, but just a few countries in Africa. Be like saying English the North American language leading the reader to assume that everyone in North America all speak English.

Last edited:

ozone000

Reaction score
I was fairly certain that you were not African. Your knowledge of Swahili led me to believe that you had African friends. I was correct, unless you don't count your wife as a friend...? ..but this isn't a forum about Swahili or geographical linguistics.

Now....do you have anything to say about the actual bulk of what I wrote, or do you just want to point out a small, insignificant part of it in an attempt to discredit anything I say?

Last edited:

ozone000

Reaction score
OME shocks are valved for the KJ and their springs

where the Bilsteins that I recommend for the OME/Bilstein lift are a bit undervalved for some peoples taste. The rear end will have considerably more control and damping with the OME shocks and in my opinion are well worth the cost, even though they use a twin-tube rather than monotube design that is generally considered superior.

There, I fixed it.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
So she didn't actually say that was incorrect? The fact that online translators don't agree and the phrase just makes more sense the way my friend described it detracts from your credibility here. I was fairly certain that you were not African. Your knowledge of Swahili led me to believe that you had African friends. I was correct, unless you don't count your wife as a friend...? ..but this isn't a forum about Swahili.

Now....do you have anything to say about the actual bulk of what I wrote, or do you just want to point out a small, insignificant part of it in an attempt to discredit anything I say?

It is incorrect
Detracts from my credibility ?
I'm done, 13 pages here plus jumping on others and you still don't understand
I do understand your **** way in trying to micro "sort of" manage this thing from your training.Fact remains we're talking suspensions for a KJ where there are not many choices to begin with.
So I'll close by saying have a great life, you've tried to discredit me, my wife , even her parents who by the way are also both teachers (plus her mother herself started 3 different schools teaching new teachers, all agree with their translation.
We won't get into what tribe they belong to ( which was the very first tribe in Tanzania to accept schools )
But again.............
I hope you find what you are looking for and hopefully someone else more intelligent and with some degree of credibility helps you out of whatever position you are in.
Good day Good Luck have a great life

The floor is now open to anyone who wants to help this KJ owner:Violin:

ozone000

Reaction score
I removed that section prior to seeing your post. I apologize, I didn't mean it as an insult to someone you know and I couldn't think of a better way to put it so I deleted it.

I was putting words in your mouth...but only because they are not forthcoming from you. Just giving an example of what would be an informative post.

vortibear

Reaction score
Hey ozone000, thanks for posting your experience. I can only imagine your frustration when the results were suboptimal. I'm now in the position you were in 5 years ago. If you could do it all over, what would you purchase? Prior to this thread, I was leaning towards Moog springs/Bilstein 4600s. This is my daily, and I'm just looking for a bit more performance over stock. Thanks!

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Hey ozone000, thanks for posting your experience. I can only imagine your frustration when the results were suboptimal. I'm now in the position you were in 5 years ago. If you could do it all over, what would you purchase? Prior to this thread, I was leaning towards Moog springs/Bilstein 4600s. This is my daily, and I'm just looking for a bit more performance over stock. Thanks!
I have a full set of Moog, Monroe shocks that wererun one week. tried to talk the customer out of them but he wanted cheap, week later came back for a full OME/Bilstein lift
If you do not want any lift then either 925-or 926 front springs and 947 rear
Use stock length Bilstein shocks front and rear since you will only be an inch or so of lift

vortibear

Reaction score
I have a full set of Moog, Monroe shocks that wererun one week. tried to talk the customer out of them but he wanted cheap, week later came back for a full OME/Bilstein lift
If you do not want any lift then either 925-or 926 front springs and 947 rear
Use stock length Bilstein shocks front and rear since you will only be an inch or so of lift
Hmm, according to the 1st response on this post, 926/947 yielded a 1” rake. I assume 925 would be worse. I’d prefer to be level.

mercdudecbr600

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I also replaced my oem front coils with moog for the first 2 years I owned my kJ. Eventually they sagged Back down to about to the same height as before, took about 1 year. Recently I installed ome springs and I won’t be looking back. Increased height, ride quality maintained, only slightly firmer than oem.

So I guess, I would highly suggest ome springs over stock replacement. If stock kJ without winch or bumper, I wouldn’t go stiffer than medium 926 front and 947 light back. You can use the rro 3/8” spacers or clevis lift to level it out. With that combo you’ll get a true 1.5” lift

If you talk with arb, the rake that happens is done on purpose because it mimicks the stock ride level f to r. I found that even the light rear springs will net you about 2” over stock.

Last edited: