Modifying the Rockfather Lift

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ruby

Reaction score
Anyone able to help me interpret this chart I found on ARB's site?
You must be registered for see images attach

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Anyone able to help me interpret this chart I found on ARB's site?
No need , Ill give you a list of what parts are needed
done over 60 KJ lifts here

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
If going all OME
2927 front springs ( the two in front just means there are 2 springs in the box )
9009 front shocks
2948 rear springs
132L rear shocks
Teraflex front bumpstops ( have to call Teraflex to order them )
Rear bumpstops , use two perside Hockey pucks bolted down to the lower spring perch
2 3/8 inch bolts 2.5 inches long with lock washers and nuts
I f wanting 3 inches for some reason then when installing the clevis measure 3/8 inch between clevis and lower plate on shock
in the rear use one extra upper isolator ( yes it will fit in there and stay
Get an alignment as soon as you install and then in about 750 /800 miles
Then do a regear to 4.10s
and that is your start
Now if you want to go OME springs and Bilstein shocks I can provide numbers

lfhoward

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is that not bad for the suspension? I figured that's why one wanted to avoid spacer lifts because it preloads them?
The clevis lift is not preloading the springs because the spacer is not jammed in between the spring and its upper or lower mount points inside the strut assembly. (Tom will not approve of me using the word strut here but I am not sure what to call it.) In a clevis lift, you are just clamping the clevis fork to the strut assembly a tiny bit lower. The conduit nuts are only there to help you get a consistent measurement and they do not support any weight. 3/8” thickness as Tom suggested will net 3/4” of additional lift over what the OME springs give you.

Ruby

Reaction score
If going all OME
2927 front springs ( the two in front just means there are 2 springs in the box )
9009 front shocks
2948 rear springs
132L rear shocks
Teraflex front bumpstops ( have to call Teraflex to order them )
Rear bumpstops , use two perside Hockey pucks bolted down to the lower spring perch
I f wanting 3 inches for some reason then when installing the clevis measure 3/8 inch between clevis and lower plate on shock
in the rear use one extra upper isolator ( yes it will fit in there and stay
Get an alignment as soon as you install and then in about 750 /800 miles
Then do a regear to 4.10s
and that is your start
Now if you want to go OME springs and Bilstein shocks I can provide numbers
What are the pros and cons of using ome vs. Bilstein

Ruby

Reaction score
As in like ice hockey hockey pucks? And then does the specific brand matter?

Ruby

Reaction score
For the 9009 shocks, all I can find online are the 90009 struts, are those the same thing or do I need to look harder

lfhoward

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
As in like ice hockey hockey pucks? And then does the specific brand matter?
Yes, ice hockey pucks. I would get ones that are regulation for the sport, so you know they are tough and going to last. But I don’t know if there is much difference between brands of pucks. The cool kids played hockey, but I played basketball. ;)

Dirtyrat

Reaction score
Allright, so I see a lot of dislike for the Rockfather lift kits from rocky road.

However they all seem to be much older posts and the alternatives they suggest have either failed hyperlinks or the product doesn't exist anymore.
I don't want to rehash an old discussion but from what I can find still out there the Rockfather deluxe seems to be the most comprehensive kit available. I would go with the OME version and probably install it myself.

My question for those who do not like the Rockfather deluxe, what pieces would you recommend replacing and where would I still be able to get them/what is the better kit to buy?

(I'm looking for a full coil lift.)

ROCKFATHER DELUXE contains:
New Old Man Emu front custom springs.
Under-the-Top
® strut cap and spacers for 3" leveling lift in front.
Old Man Emu or Heavy Duty GR2 front strut shocks.
Custom full height rear springs. Full height! Not small springs with a spacer included.
Rocky Road engineered rear shocks

Optional pre-assembly of the front struts.
UPPER CONTROL ARMS upper A-arm control arms included. More information on these

UCA bumpstop extensions.
I used the rocky road upper control arms. They are inferior to jbs. They hit my ome springs and knock.

Reaction score
This is all research. I bought my crd kj lifted with the rockfather 2.

For maximum lift to fit 32inches:

Front options: OME 2790 + 1/4 top plate & 3/8 top plate or Bilstein 5100 @ 1.5

Rear options: OME 2948 or [(ironman JEEP015B / Monroe 58649) + 1.5" steel spacer]

Extended bump stops: https://www.ebay.com/itm/1431193519...RucYBPZR-2&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

You will need to source a longer upper control arm.

Pinch weld mod to accommodate tires larger than 31inch but definitely should do it if planning on increasing past 29/30. Currently have 31 on mine and they rub at full turn without the pinch weld, but it's not bad tbh.

I have links to all the parts I mentioned already so when I have time I'll drop them.

JMichael2006

Reaction score
You just move the clamp on the bottom of the shock down 1/4", which is usually what is sticking out the bottom of the clamp. You end up with the same surface clamp area as without them, just in a different spot.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
This is all research. I bought my crd kj lifted with the rockfather 2.

For maximum lift to fit 32inches:

Front options: OME 2790 + 1/4 top plate & 3/8 top plate or Bilstein 5100 @ 1.5

Rear options: OME 2948 or [(ironman JEEP015B / Monroe 58649) + 1.5" steel spacer]

Extended bump stops: https://www.ebay.com/itm/1431193519...RucYBPZR-2&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

You will need to source a longer upper control arm.

Pinch weld mod to accommodate tires larger than 31inch but definitely should do it if planning on increasing past 29/30. Currently have 31 on mine and they rub at full turn without the pinch weld, but it's not bad tbh.

I have links to all the parts I mentioned already so when I have time I'll drop them.
NO just NO , wrong information
, several things wrong with that set up that will lead to issues
First being the wrong front shocks

Then if on a CRD then lifting that much will have issues since the left front CV is shorter than a gasser and angles will be extreme
On a gasser or CRD then have UCA/ coil spring rubbing on every bump

Please do not DROP wrong information

Last edited:
Reaction score
NO just NO , wrong information
, several things wrong with that set up that will lead to issues
First being the wrong front shocks

Then if on a CRD then lifting that much will have issues since the left front CV is shorter than a gasser and angles will be extreme
On a gasser or CRD then have UCA/ coil spring rubbing on every bump

Please do not DROP wrong information

Tom, no disrespect but I can literally find the posts where you spoke about lifting a crd with HD ome shocks and springs w/ a Clevis and top plate :

Secondly those are the correct parts that correspond to the crd. Op never indicated if he had a Crd or gasser but im sure they're more than smart enough to look at the chart ruby posted and see that the 2790 is for the crd and if they have a gasser they might go for the other option.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Tom, no disrespect but I can literally find the posts where you spoke about lifting a crd with HD ome shocks and springs w/ a Clevis and top plate :

Secondly those are the correct parts that correspond to the crd. Op never indicated if he had a Crd or gasser but im sure they're more than smart enough to look at the chart ruby posted and see that the 2790 is for the crd and if they have a gasser they might go for the other option.
Very small clevis and top plate and WAS AGAINST MY BETTER JUDEMENT
OWNER DEMANEDED IT ,
Told him would not work well , so after my install 3 weeks later he had both removed in Louisiana, his home state
So all of the other CRDs was springs and shocks period
plus they were 790s not heavy duty , ( those are 927s )
Now about some should know
I ran 790s on my 04 for 1000s of miles and it is a gasser

GIVE ADVICE
IF PEOPLE DO NOT LISTEN
LET ADVERSITY TEACH THEM
Old Ethiopian Proverb

Doing10to20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Rockfather kit works, RRO products work ..been to moab been to cali been all over AZ offroading all type of trails in all types of weather ,I daily my kj and it works ,parts are not inferior,never had any failures of parts or supporting parts due to RRO stuff ..I beat the heck out of my kj when on the trails and i upkeep the heck out of it to be able to beat the piss out of it when i have to and RRO gear in my opinion is the only way to go ..I've never not a had a part not delivered or had to wait for it longer than expected ,customer service is always good. So just find the parts you wanna use on your jeep and go for it

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.