Advice for Off Roading - Stock 06' KJ CRD

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Maddog Murph

Reaction score
Alright, I'm considering going to white pocket. Based on the video's I'm seeing, I'm don't think my stock KJ can make this sand road that requires a high clearance vehicle. I'm actually quite disappointed with my 2006 CRD KJ's stock clearance and it appears even if I dump a bunch of money into this thing I might still be better off just selling the CRD (which breaks my heart) and looking for something that has better clearance.

I look under my jeep and it seems like it might as well be a ford escape or rav4. I know some of you guys have turned your KJ into an offroad beast, what's your advice here?

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Alright, I'm considering going to white pocket. Based on the video's I'm seeing, I'm don't think my stock KJ can make this sand road that requires a high clearance vehicle. I'm actually quite disappointed with my 2006 CRD KJ's stock clearance and it appears even if I dump a bunch of money into this thing I might still be better off just selling the CRD (which breaks my heart) and looking for something that has better clearance.

I look under my jeep and it seems like it might as well be a ford escape or rav4. I know some of you guys have turned your KJ into an offroad beast, what's your advice here?

BEFORE YOU GO OFFROAD
do you have skid plates?
do you have tow points?
have you ever been offroading?
what kind of tires do you have?

Much better than a Escrap, or Rav 4 , better built but if going off road there are things to think about
Hitting a rock with your transmission pan makes a fun day very very expensive

I think Libertys have all kinds of clearance under them, or mine seems to!:icon_lol:
You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

CzarKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score

So I did only a mild lift to my jeep compared to those guys. You WILL hit rocks and hit stuff. Armor is important. I did stock off road once and my driving skills kept me from doing damage (I got lucky).

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Take a look under your CRD again, then take a peak at an Escape or RAV4 - ain't no comparison. Any Liberty is seriously more stout than any of the car/mini-SUVs out there.

That said, your CRD - if stock - is badly sagging and needs a new set of springs and shocks no matter if you're off-roading or running down the highway. Lots of us surprise the Wrangler folks all the time with the capabilities of an even mildly lifted KJ.

As Tom said above, armor is your friend so an engine skid, transmission skid, transfer case and fuel tank skid will save your bacon. Add tow points so you can be pulled out of any trouble you may find yourself in. Then move on to a lift - your CRD can be lifted about 2.5 to 3 inches (given the limitations of the differential location in the CRD) and you're ready to go. Read the Lift section here and you'll get an idea of the direction to go with your Jeep. Add some rock rails, a winch and maybe a bumper and you're expedition ready.

You can have a ton of off-road fun in your Jeep when properly set up. No way any Escape, RAV4 or CRV can be equipped to do more than a logging road ;)

Bob

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah get good armor.

My skid row plates before the SFA swap.

You must be registered for see images

That was with 3.75" of lift and 32" tires but on your more not so mild trails in Colorado.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Here is the last CRD I lifted for a *#@*^##@* from Kentucky last fall.
Before and after pictures OME 790 front springs and 948 rear springs, with OME shocks, also added clevis and top plate to get over 3.25 inches of lift

AFTER

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
By the way little comparison, you mention a Rav 4
This is my wifes DD back in her home country of Tanzania

No comparison to my KJ :icon_lol:

Have to admit though the Rav never let me sit on any of the roads around Mount Kilimanjaro and they are trails compared to roads here in the US

Maddog Murph

Reaction score
Alright armor = #1. I've got max $3,000 to get this thing off road worthy, if it's over that, I'm not going to white pocket. The options between OME, JBA, & Ironman are spinning my head. First off should I just quit researching, and wait until I have more cash?

If you had my budget would you just drive the thing stock until you had more cash and not off road until then, or would you be able to get a workable system for this amount of money?

I probably need tires too, I mean I have tires, they are ok... but they don't look cool like all the jeeps I'm seeing here modded out. (and I'm assuming it isn't just for looks)

Also to credit the Rav4, I have video's of me driving the thing stock through rivers in Iceland where the water came up just below the hood. I don't know how the intake survived, and I don't know how we made it, sheer luck perhaps, but I'm actually quite amazed at the capabilities of that little car. Not to say it holds a candle to my jeep once it's modded. Anyway I digress, you have $3k and a stock KJ 06 CRD, what do you do?

I'm assuming Get Armor, Get lifted, Get tires? Can it be done?

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm assuming Get Armor, Get lifted, Get tires? Can it be done?

The short answer - Hell Yea!

A $3000 budget to do an OME or Ironman lift, or a TomMudd EconoLift from JBA will chew up about half that or less (the OME and Ironman $800, the EconoLift about $1400.) You can get the armor for about $800 to $900, then the tire choice will determine the total cost of new shoes.

Getting these KJ's trail-ready is much less expensive than most people realize. And remember, you don't have to buy all the parts all at once - springs this month, shocks next month, A-arms the month after that, etc.

Plan it out and go for it! :waytogo:

Bob

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
My suggestion since you have a CRD, and having a bit of experience in lifting
Full OME lift with 790 front springs and 948 rear along with OME shocks of course.
Stock CRD springs are rated at 410 lb in front, OME 790s are 500, way better, I ran those on a gasser for quite a while along with some others even so ride will be firm but not hard , great ride and handling
Now I would add a top plate ( 1/4 inch ) and one extra upper isolater to the rear on both sides.
With that get the teraflex front bumpstops ( JBA ) for the front and two hockey pucks per side bolted down to the lower spring perch in the rear.
Again great set up and rides great.
As far as the UCAs, I would add them as well , good upgrade and a dollar against a jelly doughnut they are needing replaced anyways .
Skids are available from a few places including JBA ( which are way over built for sure so no worries there) to stock, Skid Row etc
You can run stock wheels and add 245-75-16s and be the hit of the crowd down at the poolhall or local off road place ! :icon_lol:

Last edited:

Maddog Murph

Reaction score
KJ Engine/Trans Guard 262.45
KJ Front Guard 205.75
KJ Skid Plate 209.95
Chrysler 8.25 Differential Guard 157.46

OME 790 CRD Front Springs 167.99
OME 948 Rear Springs 167.99
JBA 1/4" Strut Spacer Plate Set 27.95
KJ Rear Upper Coil Spring Isolator (2) 25.3
TeraFlex Bump Stop (2) 46
TeraFlex 2" WK/XK Rear Pucks (2) 84
JBA Upper A-arms for 02'-07' Lifted Jeep Liberty 396

Total $1,751 - and the rest goes to my mechanic and the tax man... to install this and provide me with public servants like Hillary and Trump.

What am I missing? I've gotta be missing a nut or bolt somewhere here...

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
KJ Engine/Trans Guard 262.45
KJ Front Guard 205.75
KJ Skid Plate 209.95
Chrysler 8.25 Differential Guard 157.46

OME 790 CRD Front Springs 167.99
OME 948 Rear Springs 167.99
JBA 1/4" Strut Spacer Plate Set 27.95
KJ Rear Upper Coil Spring Isolator (2) 25.3
TeraFlex Bump Stop (2) 46
TeraFlex 2" WK/XK Rear Pucks (2) 84
JBA Upper A-arms for 02'-07' Lifted Jeep Liberty 396

Total $1,751 - and the rest goes to my mechanic and the tax man... to install this and provide me with public servants like Hillary and Trump.

What am I missing? I've gotta be missing a nut or bolt somewhere here...

Missing 4 shocks for one thing and why the WK/XK rear pucks ?
Just order the whole OME kit, one package and has 4 springs/ 4 shocks

Maddog Murph

Reaction score
Missing 4 shocks for one thing and why the WK/XK rear pucks ?
Just order the whole OME kit, one package and has 4 springs/ 4 shocks

Revised List:

KJ Engine/Trans Guard
KJ Front Guard
KJ Skid Plate
Chrysler 8.25 Differential Guard

OME 790 CRD Front Springs
OME 948 Rear Springs
OME H/D Nitro Sports Struts
OME132L Rear Shocks
JBA 1/4" Strut Spacer Plate Set (1/2" included in package?)
KJ Rear Upper Coil Spring Isolator (2)
TeraFlex Bump Stop (2)
Rear Extended Bump stops - redundant but part of OME package?
Rear D/S Brake Line Relocation Bracket
JBA Upper A-arms for 02'-07' Lifted Jeep Liberty

Questions:
Can I skip the Differential Guard if I'm mostly on sand?

Why the 1/4' Strut Spacer? The 1/2" is included in the package (frankenlift), is the 1/4" better?

Are TeraFlex Bump stops much better? They seem to be redundant as bump stops are included in the package.

Would it save me money to buy the package pre-assembled, or do you think it's cheaper to find a shop that can assemble it for me?

(If it's not clear yet I really have no idea what I'm doing, I'm just going for it...)

Murphy

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Revised List:

KJ Engine/Trans Guard
KJ Front Guard
KJ Skid Plate
Chrysler 8.25 Differential Guard

OME 790 CRD Front Springs
OME 948 Rear Springs
OME H/D Nitro Sports Struts
OME132L Rear Shocks
JBA 1/4" Strut Spacer Plate Set (1/2" included in package?)
KJ Rear Upper Coil Spring Isolator (2)
TeraFlex Bump Stop (2)
Rear Extended Bump stops - redundant but part of OME package?
Rear D/S Brake Line Relocation Bracket
JBA Upper A-arms for 02'-07' Lifted Jeep Liberty

Questions:
Can I skip the Differential Guard if I'm mostly on sand?

Why the 1/4' Strut Spacer? The 1/2" is included in the package (frankenlift), is the 1/4" better?

Are TeraFlex Bump stops much better? They seem to be redundant as bump stops are included in the package.

Would it save me money to buy the package pre-assembled, or do you think it's cheaper to find a shop that can assemble it for me?

(If it's not clear yet I really have no idea what I'm doing, I'm just going for it...)

Murphy

What are you looking at ?
Bumpstops are not included in the OME kit only includes 4 springs and shocks.
You mention Frankenlift which is another whole ball game and different, but is a good kit.
BUT I do believe I listed everything that you would need before
BUT if you want I can do it again
I think like many do at times trying to make it harder than needs be

So first where are you looking at

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
OK
as far as a lift
From JeepinByAl
Buy the OME " kit that has 4 springs and 4 shocks" no need to piece each part out
get the 790 front 948 rear springs rear shocks you had the right nmber although that number is an old one
now teraflex front bumpstops, that is all that is made for the front of the KJ period
Next order a 1/4 inch top plate which gives you 1/2 inch lift ( so you will have 3 inches in the front)
Rear order two extra upper isolaters, one per side gives you 1/2 inch lift more
Brakeline bracket, can order if you want but all you need is a piece of 5inch long flat stock bend one inch in on both ends bolt in, cheap and easy
rear bumpstops like I have said before 2 per side hockey pucks cost 4-5 bucks and work GREAT
If you want the extra upgrade then get the JBA UCAs well worth the money

renegade 04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You will not need the differential guard, I would just upgrade the rear differential cover to a better steel differential cover not a aluminum one.

Maddog Murph

Reaction score

Looks like I need the Gas Tank Skid Plate as well, man that's a lot of money for armor :(

Couldn't find the pucks?

This is only a 1.5" lift for this? Is that really worth it?! Tom you had said a total of 3" in front, not sure I've got the right thing in my cart, but I see no other options & JeepinbyAl

Latest posts

Members online