Many questions long thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NewerJeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'll try to make this short. I have no owners manual, it didn't come with it when I bought this vehicle 2weeks ago.

07 3.7 liberty power steering fluid is low, like barely reading on stick below add line. The fluid looks orangeish not like regular ps fluid. What kind does this year take and thought of it looking orangeish? Pretty sure its not the old trick of ****** fluid in it.

The wretched no ****** dipstick. I've searched all over internet. Some people said yes that 06 dipsticks work and others say they don't and some say its like a inch too long. It shifts gears but in certain speeds in the 30's and 40's it almost bucks a little. Only at certain speeds like 35 and 45 something like that. So I need to figure this problem out also. It doesn't buck as bad after all the new stuff I just put into it(read below) but still does. Almost worried maybe its low on fluid with the way it acts.

I've just put on it new muffler because old was like I didn't even have one on. Huge hole on it and real loud. New pads, rotors, air filter, changed oil and changed the most worn out spark plugs I ever seen in my life. The gap was at 98 worn out and the electrode was buried in porcelain and black trying to get spark through it and the metal arm to get spark on it was so worn thin. I cant believe it ran. So I've done a lot to it since I got it. I do everything myself.

Other things im sure I'm forgetting. Like fuel filter is inline or in tank? I would like to change that also but if its in tank... I guess that's all I remembered for now will add later if I remember anything else and will be checking back for help. Thanks

Last edited:

John3seventeen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Jeep likes to hide the owners manual in a little slot inside the glove box at the top. Many of us have missed it. If you were already aware of this, my apologies.

NewerJeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Found warranty info though in that spot you mentioned but no owners manual. The radiator fluid looks like GM dexcool orange. My brother said it can be interchangeable with others.

Waiting to hear about the ****** problems and dipstick I mentioned also

What gear oil is suppose to be in differentials front and back? My explorer uses 2 different kinds. Different in front and different in back. Also the tcase is leaking so I need to check that and what fluid goes in that

Last edited:

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Found warranty info though in that spot you mentioned but no owners manual. The radiator fluid looks like GM dexcool orange. My brother said it can be interchangeable with others.

What gear oil is suppose to be in differentials front and back? My explorer uses 2 different kinds. Different in front and different in back. Also the tcase is leaking so I need to check that and what fluid goes in that

Sorry not interchangeable
Complete flush and use only HOAT coolant
Dino in the diffs, depends on if you are going to tow or not

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score

MOPAR HOAT coolant from the factory is orange.Never ever use dexcool coolant(OAT coolant) and never mix HOAT and OAT coolants(will cause sludge).Use Zerex GO5 coolant.

You can buy the dipstick to measure the fluid level correctly from the dealer,will also need the temp/fill level chart and a advanced scanner that will read the trans temp sensor to use said dipstick and chart.If you don't know the correct fluid level adding a older model dipstick will do you no good since it will not read correctly on the '07(they did a fill capacity revise for '07+ trans).

No off roading or towing just use non-synthetic 80w90 gear oil front and rear.If you tow or wheel it swap the rear diff to 85w-140 non-synthetic.No use killing your diffs early by adding $18+ per qt synthetic gear oil when the $5 per qt non-synthetic gear oil is better.

NewerJeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just got back from junkyard. Found a nice white kj to replace the tailgate/liftgate that doesn't lift but opens like a door on the back there so whatever you call it. Mine has a little rust hole at bottom and this one in junkyard doesn't. How hard is it to replace it? Obviously the bolts on the hinges for it but then there is the wiring and whatever else. Anyone know anything about this?

Also, the back rear doors are way better than mine, passenger rear door on mine at the bottom has pretty bad rust at the bottom and bubbling paint. But one at junkyard has the silver trimming on door where mine is black trimming. How hard is it also to remove and replace door plus what about trimming? I also didn't see if the trimming color inside door is same as mine or isnt

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just got back from junkyard. Found a nice white kj to replace the tailgate/liftgate that doesn't lift but opens like a door on the back there so whatever you call it. Mine has a little rust hole at bottom and this one in junkyard doesn't. How hard is it to replace it? Obviously the bolts on the hinges for it but then there is the wiring and whatever else. Anyone know anything about this?

The rear gate is kind of a pain just because it is heavy and getting everything to line up properly takes time and an extra pair of hands. The handle and wiring may be different on the salvage door - best thing to do is just swap in yours so you know it works.

Also, the back rear doors are way better than mine, passenger rear door on mine at the bottom has pretty bad rust at the bottom and bubbling paint. But one at junkyard has the silver trimming on door where mine is black trimming. How hard is it also to remove and replace door plus what about trimming? I also didn't see if the trimming color inside door is same as mine or isnt

Passenger doors are also fairly straightforward as long as you're patient with the wiring that comes through the pillar between the doors. The window, door lock and speaker wires come through there so it all has to be disconnected and reconnected on the donor door. The trim just pops off and can be put on the new door.

Hope this helps!

Bob

Latest posts

Members online