Manual Transmission Fluid Equivalent

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jeffreywp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the 2.4 liter motor with a manual transmission. What would be an equivalent transmission fluid?

Jeffreywp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It calls for Mopar manual transmission fluid. I believe the part number is 04874464.

djtimyd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What's printed in the owners manual for manual trans fluid.

It calls for Mopar manual transmission fluid. I believe the part number is 04874464.

I asked this same question in the thread dedicated to fluid types, and met weeks of static. I decided to do to just bite the bullet and use Pennzoil Synchromesh fluid (Its 9224 compliant which the FSM recommends) for my 6 speed.

FYI - the owners manual for my 05 KJ says it never needs to be changed - so perhaps listening the that advice isn't the best idea.

Do you have the 6 speed as well?

Jeffreywp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I asked this same question in the thread dedicated to fluid types, and met weeks of static. I decided to do to just bite the bullet and use Pennzoil Synchromesh fluid (Its 9224 compliant which the FSM recommends) for my 6 speed.

FYI - the owners manual for my 05 KJ says it never needs to be changed - so perhaps listening the that advice isn't the best idea.

Do you have the 6 speed as well?

I have the 5 speed. I believe it is the NV 3500 transmission.

djtimyd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
as near as I can tell - its the same fluid as mine (ms 9224 compliant) and the image on the Mopar bottle says NV 3500 and NSG 370 (which is the 6 speed). My guess (and dont take this as gospel) is that any 9224 compliant gear oil will work - and there are many manufactures: Penzoil, Mopar, AMSOIL - just to name a few.

If you are in further doubt - call your dealer. They will give you the part number for the current fluid. From there, you can do more searching. I asked and Googled and suggested and so on for over a month before I bit the bullet.

Jeffreywp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If I was just changing the transmission fluid I wouldn't mind paying the money for the Mopar. But the transmission is leaking, and until I figure out when and how I am going to fix it, I plan on just adding more fluid. What ever Jiffy Lube put in it does not down shift well when it is cold.

djtimyd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
then any of the 9224 spec compliant fluids at AZ or Advance or Pep Boys... 8-10 bucks a quart.