This is exhausting

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CzarKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well my Lady has been slowly getting louder. I found one hole in the muffler only to find out it is Swiss cheese and fully rusted through. It is the original exhaust system and I will be changing it out. Now onto the questions.

I have narrowed it down to two systems.
Dynomax
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/wlk-19392/overview/year/2003/make/jeep/model/liberty

or MBRP
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/mbr-s5510409/overview/year/2003/make/jeep/model/liberty

besides the fact that one is stainless and one is just regular steel has anyone had any experience with the two? Power gains are just minimal I am more worried about it humming down the highway.

Should I change the cat at the same time? It seems to be in good condition besides the bolts/gaskets which I will be changing.

I would also consider just changing the muffler and doing clamps... Not 100% on which though. A thrush welded sounds nice during video.

Thanks! Sorry for making you read!

Last edited:

jeeptorino68

Full Access Member
Reaction score
is just the muffler rotted out or is the pipe bad too? the pipe size seems large enough for these engines but the factory mufflers leave a lot to be desired (sound and flow...)
i could be wrong about the pipe though

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
I would replace any pipe I could get to while doing the muffler.

As for the catalytic converter, those things cost an arm and a leg. I live in a decent place, (nothing fancy), and there have been several case where thieves have snuck in at night and cut them right off of cars in the parking lot. Apparently their resale value - even used - is worth the trouble and risk.

As for "what" muffler, I will not be much help. I've owned two cars in the last 23 years and drove them both until they died. When it came time for a muffler it never made sense to use anything but the rock-bottom priced el-cheapo.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Magnaflow
use original pipes just install the muffler, 2.5 in and out
Nice tone , no droning like a Flowmaster on the highway
My pipes have 187,000 on them, on the 2nd muffler ( well original muffler left at 1,000 miles)

LetFreedomRing

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Magnaflow
My pipes have 187,000 on them, on the 2nd muffler ( well original muffler left at 1,000 miles)

What model magnaflow are you recommending? Just found out my exhaust rusted out so I am in the market for one also. I would prefer something that sounds good but is not overly loud. Definitely do not want a droning flowmaster like I had on my old explorer.....

CzarKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Pipes seem fine. Just the bottom of the muffler. Seems water pooled in there and it had a few rock hits in it which finally broke it.

jlday70

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Magnaflow
+1000 on the Magnaflow. I just replaced the stock muffler on my 05 not only does it sound good but by just changing the muffler and using a drop in K&N air filter there is a noticeable difference in the way the engine runs.

CzarKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
+1000 on the Magnaflow. I just replaced the stock muffler on my 05 not only does it sound good but by just changing the muffler and using a drop in K&N air filter there is a noticeable difference in the way the engine runs.

Which one did you use?

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When i installed my flowmaster 50 it droaned pretty good at 75mph. Ive since had it all welded in and its amazing how much more quiet it is now. Not really sure why but the droning is greatly reduced. Just something off ive noticed.

But yeah, ill never buy another flow master.

TheBlueKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score

K&N suck and are actually worse for the engine since they let more dirt into it. A stock paper filter supplies all the air it will ever need and use and filters the air MUCH better.

CzarKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think this is the one that comes with the cat-back system that magnaflow offers. I'm trying to find out for sure but I think this is the one we want.

MagnaFlow Exhaust Products - For Trucks, Suv's, American Muscle, Diesel, & Sport Compact Vehicles

I think you nailed it! Although I just want the muffler. I just measured my stock one. 26"L 12"W 5.5"H. We want 2.5 in/out. So 3 clamps, 1, 3-4" extender and a new gasket for the cat attachment while I am down there. I am going to replace the gasket/spring bolts on the other side of the cat as well because they are just rusted to heck and look like they can snap at any moment.

CzarKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Reading some bad reviews on that model. Does anyone have any experience with it or any other suggestions?

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
I used a 11226 I think it was, it's a shorter than stock muffler, 2.5 inch pipe welded pipe on on either end and done , After 187,000 miles still have stock tail pipe etc

LetFreedomRing

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I used a 11226 I think it was, it's a shorter than stock muffler, 2.5 inch pipe welded pipe on on either end and done , After 187,000 miles still have stock tail pipe etc

How is the sound compared to stock? I'd like a better flowing exhaust but nothing that is annoying/droning....

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Has a low deep sound when at idle
can hear it pretty good at WOT
Had a Flowmaster before and this is 100 times better

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How is the sound compared to stock? I'd like a better flowing exhaust but nothing that is annoying/droning....

I can vouch for the sound of Tom's Jeep - nice, throaty sound without that low-pitched rumble. And I gotta think with all the trips Tom makes from NW Ohio to SE Ohio he'd have changed it out by now - right Tom? :icon_mrgreen:

Bob

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
I can vouch for the sound of Tom's Jeep - nice, throaty sound without that low-pitched rumble. And I gotta think with all the trips Tom makes from NW Ohio to SE Ohio he'd have changed it out by now - right Tom? :icon_mrgreen:

Bob

Not yet:chair:
Plus it sounds so good at 70 mph going across 30 and then ah 50-55 down 250
plus the little whine to the tires and ...............mmmm maybe thats what puts me to sleep on those trips :mfr_omg: