Maintenance Questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jeeplib05

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Since I've never changed any fluids in a vehicle except oil, I'm wanting to change the front/rear diff fluid and transfer case as well if need be.
Can anyone tell me what fluids I should use for all of them?
How do I change them?
RTV or buy a rubber seal?
I have the '05 Sport so not sure if I have the "trac-lock", I doubt it though
Any info would be great, my research came up with a mix of different things so I'm wanting more of a definite answer.
I know the transfer case takes ATF+4 but I still need to know how to actually change it all
I'm wanting to use the Dyno oil instead of synthetic so I don't need to change it as often

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Since I've never changed any fluids in a vehicle except oil, I'm wanting to change the front/rear diff fluid and transfer case as well if need be.
Can anyone tell me what fluids I should use for all of them?
How do I change them?
RTV or buy a rubber seal?
I have the '05 Sport so not sure if I have the "trac-lock", I doubt it though
Any info would be great, my research came up with a mix of different things so I'm wanting more of a definite answer.
I know the transfer case takes ATF+4 but I still need to know how to actually change it all
I'm wanting to use the Dyno oil instead of synthetic so I don't need to change it as often

rear diff pull the cover and drain, clean it out good with brake cleaner and reinstall cover and fill ( some use RTV sealant but I don't )
Front there is a drain in the very bottom , with fill plug up on the cover , make sure fill is loose before draining .
Transfer case same way dump plug and fill plug, always make sure fill plugs are loose first
Pictures on here am sure somewhere
But thats the very basics of course someone will come along with a full narrative, listing time, tools, how much water to drink doing it etc

should really think of doing a flush and fill on the coolant as well , new thermostat , hoses, idler pulley, belt

jeeplib05

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So what all fluid types should I use?
Also how much in each?

jeeplib05

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Read this...
http://www.jeepkj.com/forum/f196/required-fluid-types-45270/

If you don't use RTV for the rear diff, use a gasket of some sort. I use red RTV, works fine for me. Are you going to do anything to the transmission?

I'm using red RTV
I'm going to try and change the oils stated above tomorrow, so I probably won't get to doing anything transmission work related (it's supposed to feel almost 100F with humidity)
What's a the process with that?

Last edited:

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Some people say not to touch the trans if it's around 100k miles and its never been done before. I'd take it to a dealer to get it properly flushed, along with getting the dealer to do a proper coolant flush.

If the dealer won't touch the trans because of its mileage, you might be able to drop the pan and replace the filter/what fluid came out. Do that a few times over a few months and you'll ease the transmission into new fluid.

jeeplib05

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh and I believe I saw you today Tom!
I was sitting at the light on Refugee Rd and I believe I saw you in your 03 driving down 33
MOABs, green, lifted, JBA brush guard, and yellow smiley face with bandana on tire cover

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Oh and I believe I saw you today Tom!
I was sitting at the light on Refugee Rd and I believe I saw you in your 03 driving down 33
MOABs, green, lifted, JBA brush guard, and yellow smiley face with bandana on tire cover

Headed to Lancaster to drop off some parts
So yes was me if in the AM , well had to be, how many more are there ?? :icon_razz::happy175:

How did I look?? :icon_razz:

jeeplib05

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Headed to Lancaster to drop off some parts
So yes was me if in the AM , well had to be, how many more are there ?? :icon_razz::happy175:

How did I look?? :icon_razz:

It was in the AM, that's where I was headed from Pickerington
Lookin good as always of course
I looked to my right and saw the side/back of it and I told my girlfriend "Hey, that was Tommudd!

Question for you regarding my post..
What brand of the fluids do you recommend?
I see Lucas, Castrol, Vavoline, etc
Should I just use the 85w-140 in both diffs even with as little towing as I do? (Only lawn equipment and very seldom do I tow) or just stick with the 80w-90

uss2defiant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
with gear oil, i think any certified brand is fine.
i have 80w-90 in mine since I wouldn't tow. it wont hurt you to have 85w-140 though.

how many miles do you have your ****** at?

I made my own dip stick fluid exchange system that emulated the professional machines then I had both my ****** filters changed. the 45rfe has 2 versus just 1 filter in the 42rle. I had a shop do it since I didn't want to deal with the mess and cleaning up the rtv.

with the front diff and transfer case, make sure you can remove the fill plugs first before draining them.

jeeplib05

Full Access Member
Reaction score
with gear oil, i think any certified brand is fine.
i have 80w-90 in mine since I wouldn't tow. it wont hurt you to have 85w-140 though.

how many miles do you have your ****** at?

I made my own dip stick fluid exchange system that emulated the professional machines then I had both my ****** filters changed. the 45rfe has 2 versus just 1 filter in the 42rle. I had a shop do it since I didn't want to deal with the mess and cleaning up the rtv.

with the front diff and transfer case, make sure you can remove the fill plugs first before draining them.

Thanks I actually found a YouTube video on how to do all 3
I believe the ****** is the original and if so then 174k
But, I'm the third owner so I'd have to get under there and look
I have the 42RLE
Thanks for the info!

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Damn, that's a pretty long life if that's the factory transmission. Mine made it 153k before the TC shit the bed, even with regular dealer flushes. I'd leave it.

jeeplib05

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Will Valvoline 80w-90 gear oil work?
It says Limited Slip and it says it's for hypoid diffs (GL-4 or GL-5 specified)

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you're using dino oil in the diffs don't worry about the name brands - at least I don't. I do change mine regularly (I follow the severe duty schedule in the manual) so none of the oils are extended very far. The Coastal brand at AutoZone works great for me - I use the 85W-140. I do tow a fishing boat and other trailers plus offloading but there's no harm in using the heavier oil on these diffs. Extra protection in my mind...

A gallon of Coastal 85W-140 is $15 and will do both diffs - but it can be easier if you get quarts with a hose extender that has a hose diameter of about 1/2" and a lock on the cap. Makes it easier to squeeze the oil into the diff - this stuff is thick.

I think the transfer case takes a little over 2 quarts of ATF+4 - basically fill it till the fluid just starts dripping out of the fill plug.

Bob

jeeplib05

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you're using dino oil in the diffs don't worry about the name brands - at least I don't. I do change mine regularly (I follow the severe duty schedule in the manual) so none of the oils are extended very far. The Coastal brand at AutoZone works great for me - I use the 85W-140. I do tow a fishing boat and other trailers plus offloading but there's no harm in using the heavier oil on these diffs. Extra protection in my mind...

A gallon of Coastal 85W-140 is $15 and will do both diffs - but it can be easier if you get quarts with a hose extender that has a hose diameter of about 1/2" and a lock on the cap. Makes it easier to squeeze the oil into the diff - this stuff is thick.

I think the transfer case takes a little over 2 quarts of ATF+4 - basically fill it till the fluid just starts dripping out of the fill plug.

Bob

I purchased a gallon of the Valvoline 80w-90 (I don't tow hardly any at all) for $20
I got a pump exactly like you specified, also a plastic scraper to get the old RTV off (I didn't get a metal one because I didn't want to scratch anything)
And also red RTV
I'm doing it tomorrow morning, seems to be a very easy fluid change, almost like doing the oil, just a little bit more steps

jeeplib05

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yep that's him ^
Goofy guy but definitely helps you with many different things

jeeper4life

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Some people say not to touch the trans if it's around 100k miles and its never been done before. I'd take it to a dealer to get it properly flushed, along with getting the dealer to do a proper coolant flush.

If the dealer won't touch the trans because of its mileage, you might be able to drop the pan and replace the filter/what fluid came out. Do that a few times over a few months and you'll ease the transmission into new fluid.

Why leave the trans if it's never been done?

How are 42rle's reliable wise?

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Clutch material is likely holding things together and if you flush it, that comes out so it goes into shock basically and stops working right. I'm not 100% sure it's true, I've heard it from a few places. More research on it would be good.

And it seems like a lot of people get the TC issue around 150k, some less, some more. I don't think many people get 200k+ miles out of it. mightybeet on here has 300k+ on his Jeep, engine is original I think and he's on his fourth transmission.