Maintenance Questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

uss2defiant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
my ****** and TC is still fine at 160k.

Do a fluid exchange, don't use any chemical flush.

If everything shifts fine, I don't see an issue to drop the pan and change the filters.
dropping the pan for the 42rle will require 4 quarts of 8.8 quarts of atf+4.

jeeplib05

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think it's shifts fine, I'd like to do that eventually also but I did both diffs earlier this morning and it was easy
Going to do the TC in a couple weeks
My ****** still has a good amount of fluid and still was red in color (if I remember right)
I'm wanting to do a coolant flush while I do the TC just to have everything up to date

jeeper4life

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Clutch material is likely holding things together and if you flush it, that comes out so it goes into shock basically and stops working right. I'm not 100% sure it's true, I've heard it from a few places. More research on it would be good.

And it seems like a lot of people get the TC issue around 150k, some less, some more. I don't think many people get 200k+ miles out of it. mightybeet on here has 300k+ on his Jeep, engine is original I think and he's on his fourth transmission.

Wow, insane. My 04 has almost 134k on it. Its had a dealer flush in the 5 years I have owned it, and about a year ago I dropped the pan and changed the filter because I guess they don't do that when they flush it. It gives me "odd" feelings every now and then by doing weird things, but so far seems to be holding up.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
If you've done that amount of maintenance to it, you'd probably be ok to drop the pan again or get a flush.

I mean this trans isn't the most refined or smart so it does get confused and does weird shit sometimes lol. It doesn't mean it's failing.

Latest posts

Members online