Lug Nuts

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Charlesthe2nd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The problem with the stockers are when " power tools" are used on them. The 04 I bought new, stopped driving it at 221,000 miles to rebuild it.
ALL stock lug nuts still on it, many rotations, many times off to test and change lifts , change to different tires etc . But always used a 4 way and socket on ratchet on them. Still great shape !
My opinion BUT they have lasted
The 03 since I bought it and the 05 used have had to replace a few of them, but I still have about 100 or so left over ! LOL

You hit the nail on the head there. Impact wrenches used at the shop just tear them up. Also, what I assumed to be the cause of my unfortunate issue was they broke the outer shell and didn't realize they weren't torquing the actual nut, just spinning the shell.

If you're gentle with them, and don't over torque them, then they will hold up just fine. I'm thankful to, just recently, have the space to do my own work, but before that it had just been auto garages doing the work. Took a while before I found one that I felt comfortable with, and trusted to do good work, but they've done a great job with her since.

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
The problem with the stockers are when " power tools" are used on them. The 04 I bought new, stopped driving it at 221,000 miles to rebuild it.
ALL stock lug nuts still on it, many rotations, many times off to test and change lifts , change to different tires etc . But always used a 4 way and socket on ratchet on them. Still great shape !
My opinion BUT they have lasted
The 03 since I bought it and the 05 used have had to replace a few of them, but I still have about 100 or so left over ! LOL

^^ditto on the bold. I think a lot of the shops over-torque them as a general rule as they don't want to get sued because a wheel came off. They just over do it. Mine are still OEM and ok. Probably because the only time mine had power tools used on them was when I got new tires. I do my own 5 tire rotations.

Dave

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
^^ditto on the bold. I think a lot of the shops over-torque them as a general rule as they don't want to get sued because a wheel came off. They just over do it. Mine are still OEM and ok. Probably because the only time mine had power tools used on them was when I got new tires. I do my own 5 tire rotations.

Dave

I always rotate my own as well, plus take wheels into tire shop and then haul them home. Get tired of the " you know the size you are pricing will not fit on a YJ, XJ, KJ whatever I had at the time :happy175:
Like when I picked up the 38s and told them they were going on a Dodge van !:happy175:

nohitter64

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Glad I swapped the lug nuts in my driveway before my road trip to Georgia. I would not have wanted to deal with these on the side of the interstate.
You must be registered for see images

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

libordemise

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Glad I swapped the lug nuts in my driveway before my road trip to Georgia. I would not have wanted to deal with these on the side of the interstate.

That's brutal

Sent from my LG-K210 using Tapatalk

libordemise

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's the brand that I got from Discount Tire.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
How are they? I'm gonna run them any way haha I opened the package

kejobe

Full Access Member
Reaction score

That's brutal

Those look pristine compared to the ones I took off my mothers Charger. There were two different size nuts and I had to fight with all the originals. The larger aftermarket ones were solid, but there was only 3-4 of them. Last time the wheels were off was at a local tire dealer that has always been pretty reputable. I'm not so sure any more.

dougmac

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I regularly rotate the tires on my 2004 that has over 210,000 miles on it. It still has the original lug nuts on it. I always use an air impact gun to remove them and tighten them to 100 ft-lbs when installing them.

You must be registered for see images attach

These were ruined by not using a socket that engages the entire nut.

It is most telling on this nut that only the very end of the nut was engaged with the socket. If you want to ruin the nuts, this is probably the best way to do it...
If you look closely at some of the other nuts, you can also see evidence that the socket wasn't fully engaged when torque was applied those nuts either.

You need to have a six point socket that will reach the full length of the nut like the one on the right. If you only grab the end, it will surely destroy the nuts.

Last edited:

kejobe

Full Access Member
Reaction score

It looks as thought the cap is swelled from corrosion between the cap and nut also. Could be the reason the socket didn't engage completely.

dougmac

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It looks as thought the cap is swelled from corrosion between the cap and nut also. Could be the reason the socket didn't engage completely.

In my view that's pretty unlikely when you look at the two that are ripped to shreds on the box top.... the cap and the nuts don't have even a hint of corrosion on them.....

But hell..... people often look at things differently than I do .....

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In my view that's pretty unlikely when you look at the two that are ripped to shreds on the box top.... the cap and the nuts don't have even a hint of corrosion on them.....

But hell..... people often look at things differently than I do .....

Even loosening/tightening by hand those caps will deform depending on how often they get removed.

righopper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just bought these.. They rust??

Still running stock nuts with addition of one Gorilla lock per running wheel and three on yhe spare. No issues. I never run an impact gun and always install wheels myself.

Sent from my SM-J700H using Tapatalk