Lug Nuts

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

nohitter64

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Any recommendations? I am planning on replacing the lugs nuts for my stock wheels.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

JasonJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd just go get OE replacements. They're just acorn nuts with a chrome cap... about $2 each at the local auto parts store.

It's not as if they make high performance lug nuts that self-attach and give warning indicators when loose.... or DO they? j/k

CzarKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Avoid gorilla. Mine rusted then I returned them under warranty and the warranty ones rusted. Mcgard has good reviews on here though.

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here's a case where the OEM ones are not that good. They are not solid. The McGard ones are solid and good.

Dave

kejobe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
IMO, avoid OEM nuts at ALL COST. Having the cap makes for a real pain in the *ss. Every vehicle I've had that has had the cap, about half come off or the corrosion between the cap and nut swells the cap making it too large for the correct socket and too small for the next largest.

My mother has a '10 Charger that I just changed all the nuts on. Took me 2 1/2-3 hours to do it due to fighting with the capped nuts.

My wife has a '16 Compass that's around 10-12,000 miles and has lost a cap already. They're garbage.

Honestly, I'd rather have rusted Gorilla, McGaurd, or whatever other brand solid nuts than the capped pieces of ****.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the McGuard solids for years without any rust at all,they are now on my Town Car(same thread as my KJ) and got "Black Chrome" lugnuts from McGuard and they are holding up great so far,had them for about a year now on the KJ.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
x2^ Quality Lugs! Part 64010
59683[/ATTACH]"]
You must be registered for see images attach

Attachments

• McGardLugs.jpg
    McGardLugs.jpg
    109.7 KB · Views: 1

ltd02

Comfortably numb
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
First thing I did on the 05 after getting it in December was oil change and McGards. Then I threw the wheel locks away. Had the McGards on my truck for years and still look new.

JasonJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
:icon_confused:

The lugnuts on my 03 KJ are solid... OEM aren't supposed to be? My locking lugnut that is factory installed on each wheel is a McGard, perhaps the others are as well.

I was under the impression that all KJ's had solid wheel nuts, whether they have the locking nut or not. Not so?

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
:icon_confused:

The lugnuts on my 03 KJ are solid... OEM aren't supposed to be? My locking lugnut that is factory installed on each wheel is a McGard, perhaps the others are as well.

I was under the impression that all KJ's had solid wheel nuts, whether they have the locking nut or not. Not so?

The OE lugnuts are chrome capped nuts,if yours are solid they are not the original OE lugnuts.

JasonJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The OE lugnuts are chrome capped nuts,if yours are solid they are not the original OE lugnuts.

Did. Not. Know.

Well, except for the two that the last body shop lost, but did not tell me about... it was easy to miss the two standard open ended lugnuts on the front right wheel at the time. I was more pissed about them leaving my scissor jack on the leather seats.

libordemise

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just bought these.. They rust??
You must be registered for see images attach

Sent from my LG-K210 using Tapatalk

Charlesthe2nd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'll be the nth person to tell you to stay away from OEM lug nuts. Had a horrible experience with those lug nuts a few years back, ended up losing 3 lugs on one wheel, broke two studs and essentially stranded myself in North California, not a fun experience.

Went with the McGuard for the replacement, couldn't be happier. Actually, rotated my wheels a couple weeks ago and was reminded how thankful I am to have those, no fuss compared to the old ones.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
I'll be the nth person to tell you to stay away from OEM lug nuts. Had a horrible experience with those lug nuts a few years back, ended up losing 3 lugs on one wheel, broke two studs and essentially stranded myself in North California, not a fun experience.

Went with the McGuard for the replacement, couldn't be happier. Actually, rotated my wheels a couple weeks ago and was reminded how thankful I am to have those, no fuss compared to the old ones.

The problem with the stockers are when " power tools" are used on them. The 04 I bought new, stopped driving it at 221,000 miles to rebuild it.
ALL stock lug nuts still on it, many rotations, many times off to test and change lifts , change to different tires etc . But always used a 4 way and socket on ratchet on them. Still great shape !
My opinion BUT they have lasted
The 03 since I bought it and the 05 used have had to replace a few of them, but I still have about 100 or so left over ! LOL

Latest posts

Members online