....Lug nuts....

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Birdman330

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm currently using these with 8mm spacers, which they're torqued to 100 and loosened with a breaker bar to prevent the extended shanks from snapping off. Then I have black caps I put over them does add a much nicer look to the KJ. I actually like these lug nuts since they're extended shank but a nightmare to torque.

You must be registered for see images attach

CactusJacked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't like jacking on the body, even if it is designed that way. One oops (roll, tilt or slip), and sheet metal can get crunched. Can't tell you how many used cars I've had in the past where you can see where a previous owner had a jacking mishap. I jack at the lower control arm in front, and at the axle for the back. Plus, being lifted, if wanting to reach the pinch weld, my jack would have to extend an extra 3+ inches higher than when lifting at the suspension.

Last edited:

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Plus lifting under the pinch weld you have to completely unload the suspension before the tire even leaves the ground.
Under the control arm/ rear diff few cranks and its up in the air
Under the pinch weld was thought up by people who knew nothing about jacking or how to get their nuts off

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
I've had to tap my jack with a tire iron to get it off the pinch weld - it fits that snugly. I'm planning to invest in a better jack when I can, but in the meantime I think I'll follow CactusJacked and Tom's advice.

twowings

Full Access Member
Reaction score
One of the prerequisites for Jeep ownership is a good floor jack and 6-ton jackstands...keep an eye peeled for sales at Sears and their ilk......

CactusJacked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't think vehicles are designed to have the driver inconvenienced so far as to get on their hands and knees and reach way under to position a jack below the suspension. Having to do that would soil their suit pants and/or skirt. ;)

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
I don't think vehicles are designed to have the driver inconvenienced so far as to get on their hands and knees and reach way under to position a jack below the suspension. Having to do that would soil their suit pants and/or skirt. ;)

Thats why there are Auto Clubs like AAA and others
For the wimpy types that don't want to soil their clothing

CactusJacked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thats why there are Auto Clubs like AAA and others
For the wimpy types that don't want to soil their clothing

AAA...you meant Alcoholics Anonymous Association didn't you?
These Liberty's sure can sometimes drive a man to drink. :happy175:

CalcityRenegade

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just about had it with these lugs. They must have rusted underneath and would bulge to different sizes. Ordered a set of Mcgards from Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/McGard-64010-Chrome-Bulge-Style/dp/B000COMX9K

Don't get me wrong. The stock lugs work just fine without the caps. But they don't look good. So.

WITH the caps they constantly get stuck in my lug wrench.

When I got new tires for my KJ I had to remove the lugs that had the caps failing so was frustrating but I put on the McGard's you posted. They are nice and solid but seems to accumulate surface rust rather quick. Kind of strange seeing as no salt is used where I live but they are still solid.

CalcityRenegade

Full Access Member
Reaction score
One of the prerequisites for Jeep ownership is a good floor jack and 6-ton jackstands...keep an eye peeled for sales at Sears and their ilk......

I have done a couple sets of leaf springs in the last year (XJ & Silverado) and have come to the conclusion that I will be buying 4 12 ton jack stands. Not for the weight but the height. I was lucky enough to have a good supply of pressure treated 8x2 boards kicking around so used that for height but would not do it again lol.

dude1116

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I got new tires for my KJ I had to remove the lugs that had the caps failing so was frustrating but I put on the McGard's you posted. They are nice and solid but seems to accumulate surface rust rather quick. Kind of strange seeing as no salt is used where I live but they are still solid.

That's disappointing to hear. :thumbsdown: A lot of others seemed to not have any problems. If I have problems, I'll probably order Gorillas. But have heard Gorillas don't hold torque.

Latest posts

Members online