....Lug nuts....

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
New takeoffs from customers who wanted to switch out wheels or solid lug nuts at a Jeep dealership. Came with a lot of other new parts I picked up from a Tech

ftaa

Full Access Member
Reaction score
all i did was strip the chrome off all of them and put a different sized tire iron in the jeep no more problem

CactusJacked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
all i did was strip the chrome off all of them and put a different sized tire iron in the jeep no more problem

But removing your sheath exposes you to unsightly fluids getting into the opening at the tip. Couple that with further lack of use and motion, and you will eventually have to fight to get your nuts off.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
The stock lugs should be replaced with solid new conical lugs (BIG period)
In my experience the stock lugs also had issues with seating properly into the rims as they were soft & well worn, and often those POS lugs would loosen off and not maintain proper torque specs.
The McGard's have a lifetime warranty for rust, I have not had any rust on them over the years, and they hold their torque value well.
I still use a torque wrench often to check them.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
In my experience the stock lugs also had issues with seating properly into the rims as they were soft & well worn, and often those POS lugs would loosen off and not maintain proper torque specs.
The McGard's have a lifetime warranty for rust, I have not had any rust on them over the years, and they hold their torque value well.

So figuring mine have been rotated about 72 times,
add in another 30 times (at least) when changing suspensions, trying new parts
and another 15 just checking things over the last 10 plus years.
Mine should be totally worn out, crusty pieces of crap that always came loose and not maintain torque I mean they have been removed and reinstalled over 117 times
Dang I've died at least 20 times and I didn't even know it :shrug:

:ROFLJest:

tombo_ontario

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Just bought a set of McGards today...they really are quality lugs for a pretty good price!

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
So figuring mine have been rotated about 72 times,
add in another 30 times (at least) when changing suspensions, trying new parts
and another 15 just checking things over the last 10 plus years.
Mine should be totally worn out, crusty pieces of crap that always came loose and not maintain torque I mean they have been removed and reinstalled over 117 times
Dang I've died at least 20 times and I didn't even know it :shrug:

:ROFLJest:
The question is Tom why besides having a ton of new replacement stock lugs, would you want to still use the Stock 2 piece Lugs?
The solid lugs wont leave you with missing caps, and lets face it the solid lug are a better design, and offer greater strength.

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
But removing your sheath exposes you to unsightly fluids getting into the opening at the tip. Couple that with further lack of use and motion, and you will eventually have to fight to get your nuts off.

That's what she said. :mexsmoke:

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
CJ was stealthy
And thought he was subtle
My laughter was healthy
And that's my rebuttal
~Burma Shave~

For those not in on it: Burma-Shave

mikejeepstarternoob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My family business is tire shop and from my experience, chrysler, dodge, and jeep have that common problem. Chrome caps always either come off and wont fit the stock wrench, or expand over time and wont fit. Best to replace it with some mcgard lugnuts like some of guys above and i did. If you have to take those ones without caps, 18mm sockets should do if not too much damage is done :)

TheZombieNinja3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The stock tire iron in my renegade fits over the caps perfectly. I've never had a problem doing my own rotations and what not, it wasn't until these idiots from Mavis stepped in...

uss2defiant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
speaking of lug nuts, I found out recently that my stock scissor jack does not fit the pinch weld. The slot is too narrow. Anyone tried widening it?

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
speaking of lug nuts, I found out recently that my stock scissor jack does not fit the pinch weld. The slot is too narrow. Anyone tried widening it?

Never tried it on the pinch weld, always if I had to use it was under LCA or diff

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Be Careful when using that stock scissor jack.
They are pretty flimsy and can fold like a pop can at any slight angle.
Jeep should have provided a stronger scissor by far.
Once I was lifted, I had to have something a lot stronger and taller, so off to the JY I went.
52106[/ATTACH]"]
You must be registered for see images attach

This is a real scissor jack. Can lift to 19 inches and has a rod bearing end.
The base is way larger and real steel in this well made scissor.
Now I can lift the Jeep with confidence. Not worried about this one collapsing. :gr_grin:

Attachments

• Scissor%20Jack%20GMC.jpg
    Scissor%20Jack%20GMC.jpg
    122 KB · Views: 0

Latest posts

Members online