....Lug nuts....

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TheZombieNinja3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm sure this has happened to quite a few people on here but could not find a post about it. How many people here have had trouble with the chrome capped lug nuts losing the chrome cap. I just had a mount and balance down for my Renegade, I get the jeep back and 7 of the caps are missing! I've had them come off a lot as well when I have rotated my tires. Does anyone know of a better lug with that look? I love the way it looks on the kj so I would like to keep it, but I need them to not be garbage. I'm tired of replacing them for 7 bucks a lug for them to fall apart.

nullptr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, mine all came off within a mile or so of the tires being put back on. My guess is that the old glue had dried out to the point that it failed when they used the air wrench on it.

Nothing like driving with the window down and hearing, "tink tink tink..." as the little chrome thing bounces away into oblivion. :)

CalcityRenegade

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Those chrome capped lugs are garbage, Ended up replacing them all with solid 1 piece lugs.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
214,000 miles
rotate tires every 3-3500 miles
all stock lugnuts , all caps still tight
Now get this no one except for me has touched my.........wait for it......lug nuts

CalcityRenegade

Full Access Member
Reaction score
214,000 miles
rotate tires every 3-3500 miles
all stock lugnuts , all caps still tight
Now get this no one except for me has touched my.........wait for it......lug nuts

Bingo, I can only imagine how mine were treated by the previous owner and/or shops he took it to, Half of them were already missing when I bought the Jeep, And to top it off the spare tire had a locking lug and no key.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Why did Jeep use such cheap Lugs?
So if you see this...
52047[/ATTACH]"]
You must be registered for see images attach

Then you need to buy solid quality lugs like this!
52049[/ATTACH]"]

And then you need to use one of these & check them for piece of mind frequently.
52051[/ATTACH]"]

Attachments

• OEMLugsBroken.jpg
    OEMLugsBroken.jpg
    30 KB · Views: 0
  • McGard64010Lugs.jpg
    McGard64010Lugs.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 0
  • TorqueJeepLiberty_zpse447b967.jpg
    TorqueJeepLiberty_zpse447b967.jpg
    183.1 KB · Views: 0

CactusJacked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry, but I don't care for poseur lug nuts that wear a toupee. Yep, these factory ones look and work like crap, had the same type on my Wrangler too. I have a couple where the cap is distorted and the socket won't slide over the whole thing anymore, then the caps get wedged inside and pops off when removing said socket.
I'm going to swap over to solid lug nuts, ain't nothing like the real thing. But I'm going with stainless since chrome on anything related to the wheels won't last more than a winter or two here before the salt starts gnawing at it.

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm going to try some black nuts when I can afford to replace the whole works. Just need to make sure they fit alright.

(Yeah, here it comes...) :icon_lol:

KJmurf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm going to try some black nuts when I can afford to replace the whole works. Just need to make sure they fit alright.

(Yeah, here it comes...) :icon_lol:

I was able to find a set of 23 black lug nuts on eBay for $20 w/shipping.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Never ending story, people been complaining about them for 25 years or more :happy175:
Not as bad as the wheelcovers they used to have with fake lug nuts though.....

jp7794

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The aspiring NASCAR tire changer who is currently making $7 an hour at Discount Tire is "just making sure the tire dosen't come off". As in never come off even when you are on the side of the road with a flat. I always tell them my daughter drives it and they need to hand tighten the lugs. I have had a couple chrome caps come off but the Jeep is nine years old now.

twowings

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I tell the manager of the tire store to have them hand tightened and I will sign anything to absolve him of any responsibility...

I actually had to have one of my XJ wheels TORCHED off because some idiot had torqued it down to oh, 215 ft-lbs or so...and we ran the beaches at Corpus Christi...and...scratch one vintage XJ wheel...:favorites68:

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
...Not as bad as the wheelcovers they used to have with fake lug nuts though.....
My sister busted hers off trying to change a flat once. It wasn't until the SECOND one snapped that it occurred to her that maybe she was doing it wrong. Her hubcap was in about four pieces when she finally got it pried off. :happy175:

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Its always good to have spares as well
Here's my " extras" :shrug::icon_lol:

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
My sister busted hers off trying to change a flat once. It wasn't until the SECOND one snapped that it occurred to her that maybe she was doing it wrong. Her hubcap was in about four pieces when she finally got it pried off. :happy175:

Yeah we had a smarta** customer that had a newer Mustang back then that was going to show the tire techs a thing or two. Next thing I know I'm being called to the back since the customer wants us to buy him a new wheelcover
Seems he broke it showing off how fast he could use an airgun:happy175::happy175:

ltd02

Comfortably numb
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Its always good to have spares as well
Here's my " extras" :shrug::icon_lol:

You've got a fortune in there. The retirement stash?
I still think Tom is gonna be on a future episode of "Hoarding: Buried Alive". :ROFLJest:

Seriously though that whole collection look like they are in great shape.

I still have my originals although they are getting a bit tired. I did buy a complete set of the McGards last fall. Now that the winter may be over I hope to install them in the next week or so. :emotions34: