Problem after freeze.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ray A

Reaction score
06 Lib 3.7 with about 240K miles. Been running fine but recently we had a hard freeze for 3 days. Now there is the gunky yellow foam on the inside of the fill cap that signals moisture in the crank case. The oil on the stick is still clear and good. Doesn't appear to be water in the oil. I'm guessing the freeze made a small crack. I couldn't be so lucky its just a bad pcv valve. Replaced that about 8 months ago. Want to look into block repair products. Anyone have a suggestion?

KJowner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Before you do anything drastic keep an eye on it for a while longer, very cold weather can cause condescension to form in the breather system and exposed parts like the fill cap especially if you have done a few short journeys. Watch the levels and clean the filler cap but I really don't recommend and 'magic fix' products, they are usually more trouble than they are worth.

1ino

Reaction score
Are you doing short trips, the oil needs time to get hot to flash off condensation, short trips can be pretty bad for an engine when its cold out

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
My pcv was plugged with yellow foam, with below freezing temperatures thanks to short trips.
Good synthetic oil and driving the jeep to fully warm up, should cure the issues.
My yellow foam was nasty...eek..

Attachments

• PCV oil filler.jpg
    PCV oil filler.jpg
    345.4 KB · Views: 7
  • PCV Plugged 1.jpg
    PCV Plugged 1.jpg
    302.7 KB · Views: 7