LS swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RKinney

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So long as it's not like most other KJ's (Jeeps in general) where you get done with a $30,000 upgrade project, only to watch the body on it rust away over the next 5 years.

Just cleaning some surface rust from underneath, I have everything gutted underneath. I am doing the entire underneath along with everything behind the plastics and wheel liners in herculiner or por 15.

RKinney

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I figured I would post a few more pics of the LS swap.
I had my truck pan and pick up tube modified to take 2 in off the sump, drops capacity to 5 qts. I also got the t-case clocking adapter. I want to note that the engine clears the front diff when using an 06 and earlier truck pan. I don't think the 07-later truck pan will clear the diff. The earlier pan has a double notch in the pan which helps clear the diff. Still need to get the exhaust manifolds before I permanent set the engine in place.

Attachments

• IMG_1657.JPG
    IMG_1657.JPG
    842.1 KB · Views: 76
  • IMG_1658.JPG
    IMG_1658.JPG
    915.2 KB · Views: 74
  • IMG_1688.JPG
    IMG_1688.JPG
    889.1 KB · Views: 70
  • IMG_1690.JPG
    IMG_1690.JPG
    952 KB · Views: 69

RKinney

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That almost looks like the 3.7l is still in your Jeep. Can you use the stock lower radiator hose?
The ls fits very nicely in the engine bay. The ls is much more narrow, but pretty close to the same depth as the 3.7(rear of block to front of accessory drive). The lower hose may work with some repositioning and trimming. Working on wiring now.

PsychoTrucker

Reaction score
The ls fits very nicely in the engine bay. The ls is much more narrow, but pretty close to the same depth as the 3.7(rear of block to front of accessory drive). The lower hose may work with some repositioning and trimming. Working on wiring now.
Did you ever get anywhere further with this??

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Did you ever get anywhere further with this??
Been over a year since he was last on here
This happens a lot, start something , ( engine swaps, SFAs etc ) and vanish
I know where there are 5 KJs sitting that folks started doing a SFA and gave up on due to lack of funds or knowledge

RKinney

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Been over a year since he was last on here
This happens a lot, start something , ( engine swaps, SFAs etc ) and vanish
I know where there are 5 KJs sitting that folks started doing a SFA and gave up on due to lack of funds or knowledge
Haven’t been on here in a long time. I had to take a break from the Jeep due to another car project taking priority. The Jeep project came up in the middle of something else. Tried to do as much as I could till I had to stop. Funds or knowledge had nothing to do with it. I’m fully capable as I’m a GM master tech and this is far from being difficult to do. Currently building the transmission for it, doing a performance build with some beefier parts. Engine is still a 6.0 with 243 heads, Truck Norris cam, tbss style intake, and a 92 mm TB. I custom made the harness to it fit nice and look factory in the Jeep engine bay. I am using patriot tight tuck ls swap headers which fit absolutely perfect and look like they are made for this swap, should be the goto header. Still to fabricate the rest of the exhaust. I recently had my 96 SS go down so I have been fixing it, it’s priority over the this project. The Jeep is on hold probably till fall. I knew this would be a long project due to me having other projects needing finished first. Became a dad and time was very limited. Getting back in the groove again and really hoping to finish by the end of the year. I can only hope. This thing will get finished, I don’t give up on stuff. I will drive it or a year or two then probably sell it to fund future plans on another vehicle. This will be a very nicely done ls swap that already has all the front and rear suspension goodies. When I sell it, it literally comes with an extra Jeep short of the body and engine. I have absolutely everything from another Jeep upstairs in my barn. Entire dash and center console, carpet, 4 complete doors, headliner, seats, plastic panels, interior harnesses, every single part you could think of on the inside, and the front and rear diffs. All small stuff is all in totes and bolts bagged. Then have all outside plastics, all rear, that weren’t damaged when the other one was wrecked. I’ll try and get some current pictures up soon of how I did my mounts. Found some 2” OD bushed sleeves that fit the width of the Jeep mount pockets perfectly, then used sections of the old rear lcas with a 2” hole through it to make the mounts. Took a GM 4wd trans mount and melted all the rubber away and cut off the unnecessary part to where it was just the piece that bolts to the t-case. It sits right on top of the bushed sleeve. Anyway, this project isn’t dead, life just happens. Wife has tried to get me to get rid of it just because she sees how much I have going on, but I told her I don’t stop something I started.

Last edited:

duderz7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I totally get the projects on hold business. Looking forward to seeing more on this project.

helt3rsk3lt3r

Reaction score
Maybe i'll keep my 4.8l around after all, looking forward to seeing more of that 2WD turbo LS KJ.

RKinney

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Latest posts

Members online