Lower Ball Joint Problems. !HELP!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Zach10Byrd

Reaction score
Last Friday after work I was about ten feet away from my driveway and my driver's side lower ball joint snapped clean in half. This caused my tire and rim to cut off and actually cause my rim to completely split the inner beam off. My main worry is the ball joint that is broken in half that I can not get pressed out at all. Any Ides or thoughts? Any bit helps.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Last Friday after work I was about ten feet away from my driveway and my driver's side lower ball joint snapped clean in half. This caused my tire and rim to cut off and actually cause my rim to completely split the inner beam off. My main worry is the ball joint that is broken in half that I can not get pressed out at all. Any Ides or thoughts? Any bit helps.
Did you get the ball joint press from one of the Zones ( Autozone etc ) ?
They will press it right out
also only replace with Moog greaseable ones , others are cheap and you will be right back where you are now

Zach10Byrd

Reaction score
Did you get the ball joint press from one of the Zones ( Autozone etc ) ?
They will press it right out
also only replace with Moog greaseable ones , others are cheap and you will be right back where you are now

I rented a press from O'Reillys which was also where I got my new ball joint, I usually order all parts online off Rock Auto but I figured this was going to be an hour long job so I would need the joint a lot faster. I was able to get the bottom half pressed out of my control arm about half an inch and the top half maybe a quarter of an inch.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Hammer it, knock it loose then press it out, and return that OReilly ball joint unless it is a MOOG greaseable one

Zach10Byrd

Reaction score
OReilly Ball Joint is greaseable, I wouldn't buy any trash parts. I've tried pounding at it for hours with a 3lb and 5lb mini sledge and nothing really happened, I am at the point now of taking a torch and heating up the frame around it as I can not find any info about it. The LAST thing I would want to have to do is call a mobile mechanic or a tow truck to bring it in to a shop because I am the kind of person who likes doing everything on my own (within reason).

duderz7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is your jack or jack stand supporting the lower control arm as you beat on it? Otherwise you're just bouncing your lower arm around. Also use a mini sledge 3 or 4 pound, makes a huge difference compared to a carpenter hammer

Zach10Byrd

Reaction score
I feel very stupid for not even thinking about having a jack under my lower arm, I’ll give that a shot and hope for the best

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
OReilly Ball Joint is greaseable, I wouldn't buy any trash parts. I've tried pounding at it for hours with a 3lb and 5lb mini sledge and nothing really happened, I am at the point now of taking a torch and heating up the frame around it as I can not find any info about it. The LAST thing I would want to have to do is call a mobile mechanic or a tow truck to bring it in to a shop because I am the kind of person who likes doing everything on my own (within reason).
BUT,............is it a MOOG ball joint ?
Most parts from Autozone, OReillys etc are good for buying wax and air freshners

Zach10Byrd

Reaction score
BUT,............is it a MOOG ball joint ?
Most parts from Autozone, OReillys etc are good for buying wax and air freshners
Thanks for the help, but I'm hardly worried about my new ball joint considering the old one is still stuck in.

Latest posts

Members online